Intestinal Blockage?

Miranda

Has anyone had a dog with a blockage? A dog I sold isn't eating, threw up bile yesterday, very lethargic, looks slightly hunched up, elevated heart and breathing rate. The vet can't feel anything and doesn't know what's wrong with her. She is two years old.

Any ideas?

Intersusseption? Get an X-ray done ASAP just because the vet cant feel anything doesnt mean its not there (how many owners have been told the vet couldnt feel puppies?!)

Morphine/Temgesic to stop the cramping and get it more comfortable (morphine will make it vomit once but it will improve) the dog is in extreme gut pain and that is causing half the problems.

Metomide can stop the vomiting but in larger doses can cause cramping - so watch out if there IS something stuck it may make it worst.

ETA - get the poo looked at or take a sample from just inside the dogs anus, check for unusual bacteria. If there is no poo coming out at all get that dog X-rayed and opened up NOW

Edited by Nekhbet

Thanks Nekhbet, I've passed the message on. They took her to the vet yesterday and he couldn't find anything wrong, apparently gave her some tablets. She went downhill overnight and they've taken her to the same vet and he says he still doesn't have a clue what's wrong with her so they've left her there and he's going to do some blood tests :rolleyes: I suggested taking her to my vet, but they're over the other side of town and the owner's at work.

It doesn't sound good

I would have a vet go in and have a look without further delay. My Cavalier with an obstruction showed much the same symptoms with an extra symptom of not being able to get comfortable when lying down. She kept moving to different place trying to get comfortable.

Nothing showed up on xray except we could see plenty of gas. The vet did emergency surgery and found an obstruction caused by three loquat stones. She had 15cm of dying intestine resected.

My dog vomited only once in the early morning and then refused her breakfast which was unusual for her. I took her to the vet straight away and surgery was done immediately.

I wouldn't bother with tablets and blood tests. The vet needs to go in and see what the problem is. My girl almost lost her life and she was acting quite normally the previous day.

You're right Miranda, this dog doesn't sound good at all.

My parents lab had an obstruction. The only symptom was that he was vomiting and stopped pooping. He really was pretty much himself otherwise. The vet did an x ray and saw the sock he'd eaten and scheduled surgery for the next day. By that stage it was close enough to his bum that the vet could fish it out under sedation.

Thanks for all your help, it's much appreciated :rolleyes: I can't get on to the owner, no answer at work and I don't have her mobile no. I have left messages, that's all I can do. Their vet sounds a bit clueless to me, but maybe I'm being unfair.

All I can do is wait until she contacts me.

I second Nekhbet. Bailey had those exact signs and he had Intersusseption, they couldn't tell until they opened him up (even the xray was inconclusive) :rolleyes:

Fingers and paws crossed for her :rofl:

Edited by Weimlover

I second Nekhbet. Bailey had those exact signs and he had Intersusseption, they couldn't tell until they opened him up (even the xray was inconclusive) :rofl:

Fingers and paws crossed for her :rofl:

Can i third that? Benny's xray's showed up nothing but gas. Once they performed surgery, they found a big chunk of his toy rubber bone in his intestine...

I hope the girl is ok :)

Edited by krash01

Well they have just picked her up from the vet, apparently she seems a little brighter and they managed to get her to eat something, but she still looks hunched up although she shows no pain on palpation of her abdomen.

All the vet did was blood tests, she has a very slightly elevated white cell count (which rules out pyo), elevated ALP levels at 198, ALT levels are 120 and cholesterol is 12.3 which means that her liver is slightly affected.

They are taking her down to Werribee tonight as apparently their local vet hasn't got the equipment for further investigation.

So fingers crossed that they're a bit more thorough.

Thanks Ari, yes I did mention pancreatitis as well. Apparently they had a big party on Saturday night with lots of children and lots of food so I suppose it's perfectly possible that she was given some totally unsuitable food.

She will ring me later tonight, hopefully Werribee will be able to provide some answers.

QUOTE(settrlvr @ 12th Feb 2008 - 11:10 AM) *

pancreatitis would be my first thought

Our cocker had pancreatitis and this describes her symptoms as well.

Given our minis are highly prone to this the symptons sound so tyipical & funnily enough very few vets seem to consider this or even get it right.

Hope its nothing serious though