Chicken Livers?

I was at the butcher yesterday getting some bones and meat for Chloe. I saw that they had chicken livers and thought I'd buy some for her as something different. She's never had them before, but she often gets chicken carcasses which sometimes have some organs still in them and she usually tries to clean them out first. However much to my disappointment she REFUSED to eat it!!

:eek: I was shocked! It's the first thing she's ever refused (she's a beagle, beagles will eat ANYTHING!!!). I'd put it in her bowl along with her regular kibble and she ate all the kibble around it and then picked up the liver and flicked it to get all the bits of kibble to come off, then left the liver sitting on the floor.. It was still there this morning!

So does your dog eat chicken liver?!

PS. What do I do with the half kilo of chicken livers which is now sitting in my freezer...?

I was at the butcher yesterday getting some bones and meat for Chloe. I saw that they had chicken livers and thought I'd buy some for her as something different. She's never had them before, but she often gets chicken carcasses which sometimes have some organs still in them and she usually tries to clean them out first. However much to my disappointment she REFUSED to eat it!!

:eek: I was shocked! It's the first thing she's ever refused (she's a beagle, beagles will eat ANYTHING!!!). I'd put it in her bowl along with her regular kibble and she ate all the kibble around it and then picked up the liver and flicked it to get all the bits of kibble to come off, then left the liver sitting on the floor.. It was still there this morning!

PS. What do I do with the half kilo of chicken livers which is now sitting in my freezer...?

I've never tried chicken livers but am using lamb liver cooked, for treat training. Have you tried cooking them for her?

You could make chicken liver pate with the half kilo--I've made it and its easy with a food processer, and yummy, that is if you eat pate :)

There is nothing on this planet that I haven't found that my Staffords won't eat.

Including banana peels and watermelon rinds.

Until yesterday I thought that was the case with my beagle too! She's even tried to eat a lemon..

I've never tried chicken livers but am using lamb liver cooked, for treat training. Have you tried cooking them for her?

You could make chicken liver pate with the half kilo--I've made it and its easy with a food processer, and yummy, that is if you eat pate :eek:

She eats those dried liver treats - lamb or pork liver.

Ah yes I could try making pate! Thanks for that suggestion

There is nothing on this planet that I haven't found that my Staffords won't eat.

Including banana peels and watermelon rinds.

Same with my borders!

They have also not refused chicken livers, but some people do say their dogs reject liver as it has a funny texture.

blend them up raw in a blender

add 1 cup of wholemeal flour

a clove of garlic

1-2 eggs

mix it up & spread the dough in a baking pan & bake at about 180 for about 20 minutes.........It will come out like a cake that is a bit too hard but still slightly spongy. Cut it up & serve as treats or freeze.

blend them up raw in a blender

add 1 cup of wholemeal flour

a clove of garlic

1-2 eggs

mix it up & spread the dough in a baking pan & bake at about 180 for about 20 minutes.........It will come out like a cake that is a bit too hard but still slightly spongy. Cut it up & serve as treats or freeze.

Hey Cavandra that's almost exactly the same recipe as I have except I add a little grated parmesan cheese as well :eek:

Hey Cavandra that's almost exactly the same recipe as I have except I add a little grated parmesan cheese as well :(

:) Mine is called "Liver Bread" Ive been making it for years, it is supposed to have cornmeal /flour half half. I use parmesan alot too. I have so many recipes on file, I havent made many of them as the favourites are this one & Fish Bread :(

I have switched quite a few dogs over to raw and its the liver/kidneys that gets them every time lol. I have never had a dog eat them first time. I usually mix them with canned tuna or yoghurt (or in the case of my current foster- tuna, egg, yoghurt and gravy powder all together :( ) I feed it mixed the first few times while they get used to the taste, but they quickly grow to love it. There is nothing my dogs wont do for some raw liver now...

Mine love them but I have had one girl who was a little bemused at first. I smooshed the liver up well (ugh!) and rubbed it over her chicken necks and she ate it like that. After a couple of times she ate them as long as they were chopped up a bit. I feed chicken hearts quite often and they'll all loved them except now Bree has decided she doesn't like them anymore. But then she is not as mad about eating as the others.

what about frozen?

My rotty won't eat them raw fresh, but will eat them frozen.

she gets about 50g once or twice a week, so a small frozen lump :)

Perhaps it is the texture.. Will try giving it to her frozen.

However she eats lamb's liver (cut up) and that's sort of similar texture.

<How much and how often do people feed them ?>

Mine get them every now and then Cavanova. When I'm buying necks etc I'll get livers and hearts and toss them into bags in the freezer. The girls would eat a liver each on their tea whenever I throw one in. I don't think they'd complain if they got them more often but they can be a bit laxative...

Jack won't eat hearts, liver or kidneys whole. He licks them and rolls in them instead :champagne:

But if I buy whatever I can get cheaply, and use the Bamix to puree it, then add it to his weekly BARF mix it goes down no worries. So I guess he gets a small quantity of offal every night or two.

I don't give chicken livers to the dogs, but we eat them - fried up with thyme and almond flakes, or as a pasta sauce with tomatoes, red wine, chilli and garlic. Yummo!

Guest Clover

Harri was not impressed with liver of any kind when he was younger, feeding hime near the toher dogs taught him to eat everything in his bowl or have any left overs eaten by someone else.. he now eats everything.

Frying them up might make them a little more appeatising :(.