Training In Other Languages

Many years ago I trained my Rottweiler Gunther in German & English. I did schutzhund with him and German is expected in that sport. He had to be pts almost 10 years ago due to cancer. :o

I have trained two of our Malinois in French & English. I thought the French commands sounded pretty, so I went with it. :)

I trained a Malinois puppy we bred in Finnish. I didn't bother with English since he was being sold into a Finnish home. I took him over to Finland last month.

I have a new male Malinois puppy that I brought home from Spain. I speak Spanish & English, but I'm not fond of the Spanish commands. I like something more exotic. :) I have started training Diego in Finnish also. It's such a different language and there are not many dogs here in Texas that are trained in Finnish.

Do any of you use other languages to train your dogs?

Many years ago I trained my Rottweiler Gunther in German & English. I did schutzhund with him and German is expected in that sport. He had to be pts almost 10 years ago due to cancer. :o

I have trained two of our Malinois in French & English. I thought the French commands sounded pretty, so I went with it. :)

I trained a Malinois puppy we bred in Finnish. I didn't bother with English since he was being sold into a Finnish home. I took him over to Finland last month.

I have a new male Malinois puppy that I brought home from Spain. I speak Spanish & English, but I'm not fond of the Spanish commands. I like something more exotic. :) I have started training Diego in Finnish also. It's such a different language and there are not many dogs here in Texas that are trained in Finnish.

I am currently training my Sammie in finnish as we are moving to finland soon and thought it would be good for both him and myself.

I am currently training my Sammie in finnish as we are moving to finland soon and thought it would be good for both him and myself.

How wonderful! I LOVE Finland. I just wish everything wasn't so expensive there. Onnea! ;)

Edited by mersonmalinois

I train in two languages - German for my drive work and english for general obedience. I also do ANKC trials and as long as you clear it with the judge first and they're ok with it then there is no problems. So far I haven't met any judges with issues about my use of german but some have asked specifically what my commands are.

I was told that you can't use commands in different languages for ANKC obedience?

Has anyone done that and not had a problem?

or do you get pulled up on it?

Why wouldn't a person be able to use another language? I am not from Oz, but am curious about the ANKC rules. Do they have a website with their obedience rules?

We can use any language here for obedience, agility, etc. Since the USA is so into lawsuits, a person would likely sue if they weren't allowed to use the language they liked the best.

I was told that you can't use commands in different languages for ANKC obedience?

Has anyone done that and not had a problem?

or do you get pulled up on it?

Why wouldn't a person be able to use another language? I am not from Oz, but am curious about the ANKC rules. Do they have a website with their obedience rules?

We can use any language here for obedience, agility, etc. Since the USA is so into lawsuits, a person would likely sue if they weren't allowed to use the language they liked the best.

I don't understand why it would be an issue either... Who cares, even if it's gibberish! If the dog knows what to do by you saying something nonsensical that you have made up (or another language), what does it matter? Or do the judges need to make sure that the dog has followed your command? I don't know enough about OT's to know...

Edited by TerraNik

I don't understand why it would be an issue either... Who cares, even if it's gibberish! If the dog knows what to do by you saying something nonsensical that you have made up (or another language), what does it matter? Or do the judges need to make sure that the dog has followed your command? I don't know enough about OT's to know...

I don't think it is an issue. I've stewarded in a ring and noticed a competitor in the next ring gave his commands in German (not good German but German all the same :laugh: ). As far as I know there weren't any objections - from either the judge or the other competitors.

My parents are Dutch and I still use the occasional commands at home in Dutch. But, it never occurred to me to use Dutch commands that could then be used in the trial ring . What are the benefits :laugh:????

I don't think it is an issue. I've stewarded in a ring and noticed a competitor in the next ring gave his commands in German (not good German but German all the same :laugh: ). As far as I know there weren't any objections - from either the judge or the other competitors.

My parents are Dutch and I still use the occasional commands at home in Dutch. But, it never occurred to me to use Dutch commands that could then be used in the trial ring . What are the benefits :laugh:????

The benefits are that some languages are easier for some people to pronounce, the dog will respond to those commands and will not obey just anyone (that's why some working police/MWDs are trained in foreign tongues), and it's also fun to use a unique language that not everyone else uses.

I'm sure the Dutch commands sound cool. :eek:

This is copied fromthe ANKC rules

All verbal commands must be in the English Language unless approved

otherwise by the Judge.

I don't know why it is - maybe because if the judge doesn't speak the lnguage they why know if you command is one word as per rthe rules or more.

If you PM you emial address I will send you a PDF document of our obedience rules if you like.

Edited by Janba

I think the reason behind only being allowed to use english lies with the fact that our commands are supposed to be one word and if you give commands in another language the judge can't tell whether you are using one word or not. But as I've said so far I haven't come across any problems for using another language - just tell the judge before you start and it should be ok.

My dogs are trained mainly in Dutch and I do trail with 1 of them. As long as you let your judge know you use another language it is normally not a problem. The only question I get is: "Are they single words?". I say yes. Appearatly they had a German bloke a few years back who gave commands in sentences and they could not tell whether he was talking to the dog or giving commands.

my dogs are trained in Serbian, just easier for me

I tell you what command refusal exercises are hilarious. You can scream some commands at my dogs and all you get is "look crazy person talking gibberish at me" looks on their faces.

Funnier ... at training and the out command for my dogs is Pusti...

so along we're training, suddenly one of the greek guys pipes up "hey why do you call your dog that"

"what ... Mina? Thats her name"

" Naah, that other word, dont you like him "

*me seriously confused* "Um she's a bitch ... "

"If she's a bitch why do you keep calling your dog a poofta" :( :(

through tears of laughter I had to explain in Serb that Pusti means "let go" and not the greek version they all thought I was yelling for the past few weeks I had been there :laugh:

my dogs are trained in Serbian, just easier for me

I tell you what command refusal exercises are hilarious. You can scream some commands at my dogs and all you get is "look crazy person talking gibberish at me" looks on their faces.

Funnier ... at training and the out command for my dogs is Pusti...

so along we're training, suddenly one of the greek guys pipes up "hey why do you call your dog that"

"what ... Mina? Thats her name"

" Naah, that other word, dont you like him "

*me seriously confused* "Um she's a bitch ... "

"If she's a bitch why do you keep calling your dog a poofta" :( :(

through tears of laughter I had to explain in Serb that Pusti means "let go" and not the greek version they all thought I was yelling for the past few weeks I had been there :laugh:

:cool: :D :p

thats so funny!!

edited to add - check this website out it has a heap of different commands in different languages.

http://www.uwsp.edu/psych/dog/languag1.htm

Edited by Jessca

Years ago I did Schutzhund and trained in both English and German commands. I also did and still do ANKC obedience and use one German word (out of habit) for a particular exercise. I only ever had trouble once with a Judge......he was Dutch and picked it up straight away but was nice about it. He told me to be very careful as it is a definite no no for ANKC.....which I think is absolutely ridiculous. IMO ...as long as it is ONE word.....you should be able to use it.

I often used to think what if the dog was trained using swear words.....like sh*t for sit and 'bugga' for drop (being polite here lol)....the Judge would have to accept that because after all it IS English....and yet they won't accept another language such as 'sitz' for sit or 'platz' for drop.

Go figure ? :(

I'm German and I trained my old girl in German. My Weim I train in English as I've been told, German wouldn't be accepted in a trial. :D It's funny, now I have to give 2 sets of commands but at least each dog knows who's meant so they know who I'm talking to. :)

I'm German and I trained my old girl in German. My Weim I train in English as I've been told, German wouldn't be accepted in a trial. :laugh: It's funny, now I have to give 2 sets of commands but at least each dog knows who's meant so they know who I'm talking to. :laugh:

thats a good advantge to it. i know ill be training my next dog in german, then it will be easy (once i remember all the commands) for my dogs to know who im talking to.