Vaccinate,or Not To Vaccinate Yearly.

This is a topic that drives me crazy. I just want to do the right thing by my dogs but i do not know what that is. Both have had initial puppy vaccs, then 1 each year up to 2 years old. I dont know if i will continue, that might be the last one. My other dog who is 7 yrs has been vaccinated every year except last year, i am so conflicted and confused.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that titre information Bubbly. I've just had my dog tested, still waiting on results, but done by a vet who has never even heard of titre testing.

Worries me that they won't interpret the results correctly and will tell me that I need to vaccinate if the titre is "low", and worse won't give me a letter stating that her titre test is fine for club purposes unless I do vaccinate :rofl:

If that happens send them to Jean Dodds, she is more than happy to help Aussies :rofl:

We had a Chihuahua years ago who had his puppy needles and the 12 month needle then no more after that and he lived 15 1/2 years with no sickness at all.

Now we have Sophie, another Chihuahua who is 11 months and due for her next needles in October. I don't think she needs yearly vacs, but what if I want to kennel her at any time. Kennels insist on seeing vaccination certificates.

I am confused also.

Moggy.

Many dogs get vaccinated, but the vaccine does not work.Doesnt matter how many times you vaccinate the dog it will never be immune, simply does not work........... This is why Jean Dodds & others do like to vaccinate them wait 2 weeks & then Titer them to see if they have T Cells or not..........

In some cases people are vaccinating their dogs every year for 10 years or more, but if they Titered the dog many would see their dog has zero immunity.........This another reason why vaccinated dogs get teh very diseases they are supposedly vaccinated against.

For this reason a Vaccination card from a Vet actually means NOTHING. It does not prove the dog has T Cells..........This is why all clubs & all kennels should accept Titer Test results, as they actually ARE proof the dog is covered.....get my drift???

I am still tossing and turning about the vaccination debate. It is the same in the human world about vaccinating our kids or not.

Puppies AND children DO need those first vaccinations! By not vaccinating (children and puppies) at all, you are risking their health by leaving them exposed to catching those diseases 'full on'.

On the other hand, I believe that the Rubella needle given to Yr 7 girls compromised my oldest daughter, who 9 months after the needle was diagnosed a Type 1 diabetic. My personal dilemna is that my youngest girl is going into Yr 7 next year and I dont know what to do :D

Off topic I know, but many, many children go through life with no vaccinations whatsoever and thrive. Mine are all in their twenties, as are many others I know - and none of these kids have ever had the health problems of their peers. No measles, no allergies, no eczema, no asthma, no autism spectrum disorders, no ADHD, no leukemia, etc etc. Even simple bugs that have made their friends ill for a week have only kept them home from school for a day or so. All of these kids have had high IQs and most have been in "opportunity" classes in primary school. Admittedly they have also had good diets (very little junk food or soft drink) but the one thing in common has been no vaccinations.

However, as parvo is not a natural disease (laboratory-made) and is lethal, I would never not vaccinate a pup for it. There is no equivalent deadly disease in children that can be vaccinated against. In fact many childhood diseases are actually designed to help strengthen the immune system and have protective effects. For example, catching the mumps helps protect girls from ovarian cancer later in life. Being exposed to kids with chicken pox helps protect adults from shingles, which can be much more deadly than chicken pox ever could be.

For the record, mine are never vaccinated after their second puppy shot - and my adults have never caught parvo despite being exposed to it.

The UK Canine Health Concern campaign to end annual vaccination started in 1994.

I've copied the letter below which was signed by graduating vets 10 Years later ie 2004 as the site it was hosted on no longer exists. This issue is not new.

Dear Editor

We, the undersigned, would like to bring to your attention our concerns in the light of recent new evidence regarding vaccination protocol.

The American Veterinary Medical Association Committee report this year states that 'the one year revaccination recommendation frequently found on many vaccination labels is based on historical precedent, not scientific data'.

In JAVMA in 1995, Smith notes that 'there is evidence that some vaccines provide immunity beyond one year. In fact, according to research there is no proof that many of the yearly vaccinations are necessary and that protection in many instances may be life long'; also, 'Vaccination is a potent medical procedure with both benefits and risks for the patient'; further that, 'Revaccination of patients with sufficient immunity does not add measurably to their disease resistance, and may increase their risk of adverse post-vaccination events.'

Finally, he states that: 'Adverse events may be associated with the antigen, adjuvant, carrier, preservative or combination thereof. Possible adverse events include failure to immunise, anaphylaxis, immunosuppression, autoimmune disorders, transient infections and/or long-term infected carrier states.'

The report of the American Animal Hospital Association Canine Vaccine Taskforce in JAAHA (39 March/April 2003) is also interesting reading: 'Current knowledgte supports the statement that no vaccine is always safe, no vaccine is always protective and no vaccine is always indicated'; 'Misunderstanding, misinformation and the conservative nature of our profession have largely slowed adoption of protocols advocating decreased frequency of vaccination'; 'Immunological memory provides durations of immunity for core infectious diseases that far exceed the traditional recommendations for annual vaccination. This is supported by a growing body of veterinary information as well as well-developed epidemiological vigilance in human medicine that indicates immunity induced by vaccination is extremely long lasting and, in .most cases, lifelong.'

Further, the evidence shows that the duration of immunity for rabies vaccine, canine distemper vaccine, canine parvovirus vaccine, feline panleukopaenia vaccine, feline rhinotracheitis and feline calicivurus have all been demonstrated to be a minimum of seven years, by serology for rabies and challenge studies for all others.

The veterinary surgeons below fully accept that no single achievement has had greater impact on the lives and well-being of our patients, our clients and our ability to prevent infectious diseases than the developments in annual vaccines. We, however, fully support the recommendations and guidelines of the American Animal Hospitals Association Taskforce, to reduce vaccine protocols for dogs and cats such that booster vaccinations are only given every three years, and only for core vaccines unless otherwise scientifically justified.

We further suggest that the evidence currently available will soon lead to the following facts being accepted:

* The immune systems of dogs and cats mature fully at six months and any modified live virus (MLV) vaccine given after that age produces immunity that is good for the life of that pet.

* If another MLV vaccine is given a year later, the antibodies from the first vaccine neutralise the antigens from the subsequent so there is little or no effect; the pet is not 'boosted', nor are more memory cells induced.

* Not only are annual boosters for canine parvovirus and distemper unnecessary, they subject the pet to potential risks of allergic reactions and immune-mediated haemolytic anaemia.

* There is no scientific documentation to back up label claims for annual administration of MLV vaccines.

* Puppies and kittens receive antibodies through their mothers' milk. This natural protection can last eight to 14 weeks.

* Puppies and kittens should NOT be vaccinated at less than eight weeks. Maternal immunity will neutralise the vaccine and little protection will be produced.

* Vaccination at six weeks will, however, DELAY the timing of the first effective vaccine.

* Vaccines given two weeks apart SUPPRESS rather than stimulate the immune system.

This would give possible new guidelines as follows:

1. A series of vaccinations is given starting at eight weeks of age (or preferably later) and given three to four weeks apart, up to 16 weeks of age.

2. One further booster is given sometime after six months of age and will then provide life-long immunity.

In light of data now available showing the needless use and potential harm of annual vaccination, we call on our profession to cease the policy of annual vaccination.

Can we wonder that clients are losing faith in vaccination and researching the issue themselves? We think they are right to do so. Politics, tradition or the economic well-being of veterinary surgeons and pharmaceutical companies should not be a factor in making medical decisions.

It is accepted that the annual examination of a pet is advisable. We undervalue ourselves, however, if we hang this essential service on the back of vaccination and will ultimately suffer the consequences. Do we need to wait until we see actions against vets, such as those launched in the state of Texas by Dr Robert Rogers? He asserts that the present practice of marketing vaccinations for companion animals constitutes fraud by misrepresentation, fraud by silence and theft by deception.

The oath we take as newly-qualified veterinary surgeons is 'to help, or at least do no harm'. We wish to maintain our position within society, and be deserving of the trust placed in us as a profession. It is therefore our contention that those who continue to give annual vaccinations in the light of new evidence may well be acting contrary to the wefare of the animals committed to their care.

Yours faithfully

Richard Allport, BVetMed, MRCVS 
Sue Armstrong, MA BVetMed, MRCVS 
Mark Carpenter, BVetMed, MRCVS 
Sarah Fox-Chapman, MS, DVM, MRCVS 
Nichola Cornish, BVetMed, MRCVS 
Tim Couzens, BVetMed, MRCVS 
Chris Day, MA, VetMB, MRCVS 
Claire Davies, BVSc, MRCVS 
Mark Elliott, BVSc, MRCVS 
Peter Gregory, BVSc, MRCVS 
Lise Hansen, DVM, MRCVS 
John Hoare, BVSc, MRCVS 
Graham Hines, BVSc, MRCVS 
Megan Kearney, BVSc, MRCVS 
Michelle L'oste Brown, BVetMed, MRCVS 
Suzi McIntyre, BVSc, MRCVS 
Siobhan Menzies, BVM&S, MRCVS 
Nazrene Moosa, BVSc, MRCVS 
Mike Nolan, BVSc, MRCVS 
Ilse Pedler, MA, VetMB, BSc, MRCVS 
John Saxton, BVetMed, MRCVS 
Cheryl Sears, MVB, MRCVS 
Jane Seymour, BVSc, MRCVS 
Christine Shields, BVSc, MRCVS 
Suzannah Stacey, BVSc, MRCVS 
Phillip Stimpson, MA, VetMB, MRCVS 
Nick Thompson, BSc, BVM&S, MRCVS 
Lyn Thompson, BVSc, MRCVS 
Wendy Vere, VetMB, MA, MRCVS 
Anuska Viljoen, BVSc, MRCVS, 
and Wendy Vink, BVSc, MRCVS

Pele, my almost 3.5 year old Bull Terrier received her first C3 by her breeder at 6 weeks old, then had another C3 at 14 weeks to enable me to get her into obedience classes. No way was I doing a C5. Not long after the 2nd vacc. I learned about the new 3 year protocols - yippee!! Went back to the vet with the printout and they changed the vacc. cert to 3 years :) Well, didn't that confuse the obedience club :vomit: They had to accept it :D

Now Pele is due again. I'd much rather titre test, but then there's the obedience club thingy again :) I went to the Dr Jean Dodds seminar here in Adelaide last weekend which was run by the Golden Retriever Club. Two of the GR club office bearers are also Past President/Life Member and current secretary of the obedience club. I asked if the obedience club would accept a titre test - NUP!! It's an ANKC ruling, so even if they were converted it ain't gonna happen soon :)

Looks like I'll have to give Pele one more 3 year C3 (she hasn't had one since 14 weeks old). I'm hoping that she'll get her CD title before the end of the year, but even if she does we'd still like to go out to training and do some fun agility, so don't have much choice.

I am still tossing and turning about the vaccination debate. It is the same in the human world about vaccinating our kids or not.

Are dogs that are not vaccinated frequently not getting sick because the majority of the population are vaccinated so there is less diseases to go around? I don't know.

My daughter had all the vaccinations that are recommended for children and still she got whooping cough and nearly died from it. Vaccinations do not guarantee immunity.

That fact aside....

Do humans get vaccinated yearly for diseases??? NO they do not! Then why would our poor dogs immunity not last as long as ours does?

Australia is way behind...USA has adopted the 3 year vaccination protocol years ago.

We heard about the University Of Colorado's recommendations for the 3 yearly vacc years ago and have been folowing it.

None of our dogs have become ill and our oldies are very very healthy! No cancers or seizures or any problems apart from a little arthritis.

The increase in cancers and seizures in dogs could be caused by pumping their bodies full of toxins, vaccinations, heartworm meds, worm meds constantly......think about it....

it makes sense......

The CHC survey in the UK found that approximately 75% of all vet visits, diagnoses of epilepsy, Cushings, Addisons, allergies etc came within 3 months of an annual booster, not 9 months as would be statistically expected. This study was done with a sample of around 4,000 dogs, so not statistically insignificant.

I have put the information relating to children in italics.

A small selection of scientific data illustrating the dangers of annual pet vaccination

1. Seizures and other neurological manifestations are listed as potentially immune-mediated. Approximately 2% of dogs in the UK are epileptic. 2.1% of dogs in CHC's vaccine survey (covering some 4,000 dogs) had epilepsy. Of these, 73.1% first became epileptic within three months of vaccination.

According to Nelson and Couto, writing in, ‘Essentials of Small Animal Internal Medicine’, “in acquired epilepsy, a prior inflammatory, traumatic, toxic, metabolic or vascular insult alters a focus of neurons, enabling them to spontaneously discharge and cause a seizure”. Vaccines could legitimately represent an inflammatory, traumatic, toxic or vascular insult.

The Merck Manual lists encephalitis as a possible vaccine reaction. It also lists epilepsy as a symptom of encephalitis. The human vaccine damage compensation unit in the UK has paid thousands of pounds in compensation to the parents of children with vaccine-induced epilepsy.

British government research shows that the DTP and MMR vaccines can increase the risk of seizure five-fold. The Lancet in 1989 reported that one in 400 children given the MMR vaccine will suffer convulsions; in 1995, The Lancet reported that children given the MMR jab were three times more likely to suffer convulsions than those who didn't receive it. It should be noted that the measles and distemper viruses are, to all intents and purposes, the same virus.

Writing in the Veterinary Record during 1992 (130, 27-30), AIP McCandlish et al state: "Post-vaccinal encephalitis is a recognised complication of the administration of certain strains of live attenuated canine distemper vaccine (Hartley 1974, Bestetti and others 1978, Cornwell and others 1988)."

2. Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease. 78.1% of dogs with arthritis in the CHC survey developed the condition in a cluster post vaccination. It is interesting to note that the New England Journal of Medicine (vol 313, 1985), reported that it is often possible to isolate the rubella virus from affected joints in children vaccinated against rubella, many months after vaccination. The report also tells of isolation of viruses from the peripheral blood of women with prolonged arthritis which followed vaccination.

Stratton Vaccines: 97 carries case reports linking tetanus and diphtheria vaccines with arthritis and skin eruptions. The US Academy of Sciences IOM reported concluded that the measles vaccine can cause death from measles-vaccine- strain infection, thrombocytopenia, fatal shock, and arthritis.

A paper appearing in BVJ (May 1995, Bell, Carter, May and Bennett) states that dogs with rheumatoid arthritis showed higher anti-heat shock proteins antibody levels in their sera and synovial fluids compared to control dogs. There was a significant correlation between anti HSP65 and antibodies to the canine distemper virus, and they discussed the relevance of the presence of canine distemper virus within the joint. It is known that a wide range of human vaccines can stimulate arthritis, so it makes sense to consider that canine vaccines might also stimulate this condition.

3. According to Dr Jean Dodds, thyroid disease can be triggered by vaccines. This condition then becomes inheritable. If thyroid disease is present, Dr Dodds contends that vaccines can trigger other autoimmune diseases. Dr Dodds has written numerous papers on this subject, and she has been closely involved with the international veterinary vaccines symposiums held in the United States. I would be happy to forward copies of Dr Dodds' papers to you.

4. The Merck Veterinary Manual states: "autoimmune diseases may be initiated by the encephalitis that can follow rabies vaccination in which an autoimmune cross-reaction probably is initiated by animal brain tissue in the vaccine". In fact, all sorts of vaccines, in addition to the rabies vaccine, are typically cultivated on dog, cat and monkey brains and kidneys; chick embryos, hamsters and guinea pigs - all of which can be described as foreign proteins, which can cause an allergic reaction, autoimmune disease and encephalitis. I would add that vaccines contain serum - foreign proteins - which are clearly acknowledged to cause inflammatory reactions - which itself can cause autoimmune disease.

Further, the Merck Veterinary Manual confirms that modified live parvovirus vaccines are suspected to cause autoimmune haemolytic anaemia in dogs (an autoimmune disease).

The Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, Vol 10, No 5 (September October) 1996, published a paper entitled 'Vaccine Associated Immune Mediated Haemolytic Anaemia (IMHA) in the Dog'. The paper states: "This study provides the first clinical evidence for a temporal relationship of vaccine-associated IMHA in the dog."

The study adds: "Because vaccine components can remain in the body for extended periods of time, chemical reactions caused by these vaccine components may continue to occur later than with other drugs that are excreted or metabolised more quickly". It also states that, "Vaccine-associated IMHA has been reported after diphtheria-pertusis-tetanus vaccination in children".

The authors concluded that, because not all cases are reported to the manufacturers (none of the cases in their study had been reported), the prevalence of vaccine- associated IMHA is likely to be underestimated.

5. A team at Purdue University (Larry Glickman et al, 1997) studied the effects of routinely used vaccination protocol on the immune and endocrine system of Beagles. One control group was unvaccinated and the other received a commercial multivalent vaccine. The vaccinated group developed significant autoantibody levels against fibronectin, laminin, DNA, albumin, Cytochrome C, transferring, cardiolipin and collagen. A startling indication that vaccines may cause autoimmune diseases, and even genetic damage.

6. Frick and Brooks (1983) demonstrated that dogs predisposed to develop atopic dermatitis did not do so if vaccinated after being exposed to an allergen, but did when vaccinated before being exposed to an allergen. This is a clear demonstration that vaccines sensitise genetically pre-disposed individuals.

I would ask you this question: how many of our dogs suffer from chronic, debilitating skin disease? How many suffer from arthritis? How many are dying years before their time from various autoimmune diseases?

http://www.canine-health-concern.org.uk/

Just yesterday I was telling a friend of mine about all the info and opinions on here re annual vacs. She took one of her Chis for her shot yesterday and was back at the vets within an hour, as the dog's face blew up like a balloon. :love:

The vet then told her that this dog will need prophylactic antihistamines next year in conjunction with the vac injection, to prevent an even worse reaction. Makes you wonder....

Another angle to consider re the yearly vaccine issue is merely the fact that the dog gets an exam he wouldn't otherwise get. Fear of disease being the motivation behind most people taking dogs for annual vaccines and hence the dog even being seen by the vet on a yearly basis. Working as a vet nurse I saw many diseases and potential health problems, some life threatening, picked by the vets upon the dogs presenting for their annual vaccine that would have otherwise gone unnoticed by most of your average back yard dog owners and even a few breeders.

I'd like to ask everyone, if yearly vaccines are deemed unnecessary in the future, and I have no doubt they will be, how many of you would use a service offered by vets where a vet gives the dog a yearly 'wellness' check consisting of a full clinical exam, blood work, i.e. thyroid if the indications were there, micro-chips, general advice re: non-invasive treatments/supplements, lifestyle recommendations (for the dog) and possibly titre testing?

What if the costs could be brought down for you by holding special days at say breed club shows, (testing for breed specific problems could also be included), at your agility/obedience club, etc. It could be left up to the people grouping for or booking the 'wellness clinic' as to where they wanted to meet as the vet would be mobile. How many of you readers would use such a yearly service for your dogs? What would it be worth to you---how much would you be willing to pay for the basic service of a 'wellness check' to replace the yearly vaccine visit to the vet?

When dogs no longer get that yearly exam at vaccine time -----how many of you would actually attend one of these 'wellness clinics' for the sake of your dog? I would like to see the views of all dog owners, breeders, trainers, showies, groomers, boarding kennels, clubs, vet nurses and anyone generally involved with dogs. Please state how you are involved with dogs and post any suggestions you might have and any services you would like included

As a breeder who is also involved in breed club committees I would support a yearly "wellness" vet visit.

I think its a great idea.

Actually someone who has a puppy from us does just that with their cats already.

Quirkyhound

I have no issues with wellness checks or DNA testing but i do have major issues with the thyroid testing being offered by vets here in Australia.

Perhaps you should have been at the Jean Dodds seminar to see why vets here are not doing thyroid testing correctly. They do not offer the correct thyroid tests. At least with Jean Dodds and Hemopet she has records of over 30 years to draw on and to back her up.

Ill be doing my thytoid testing thru her from now on given i have 2 dogs that have had thyroid testing done with out an issue being found. Given what i learnt at her seminar both of them suffer from major thyroid issues.

Hi Miranda

I appreciate your opinion, however, I have been there!

In backing up what Miranda has said (and I believe it is not 'opinion' but fact) that the colostrum is the ONLY time that a puppy recieves any antibodies from the mother. Colostrum, as is well known, is only secreted by the mammary glands for the first 48 hours maximum.

The only benefit that puppies recieve after this is that the bitches milk provides some protection of the gastrointestinal tract which is where many viruses enter the system.

Guest Tess32
Another angle to consider re the yearly vaccine issue is merely the fact that the dog gets an exam he wouldn't otherwise get.

I don't see how it's really an issue. Good owners would have and want semi regular check ups anyway.

Quirkyhound

I have no issues with wellness checks or DNA testing but i do have major issues with the thyroid testing being offered by vets here in Australia.

Perhaps you should have been at the Jean Dodds seminar to see why vets here are not doing thyroid testing correctly. They do not offer the correct thyroid tests. At least with Jean Dodds and Hemopet she has records of over 30 years to draw on and to back her up.

Ill be doing my thytoid testing thru her from now on given i have 2 dogs that have had thyroid testing done with out an issue being found. Given what i learnt at her seminar both of them suffer from major thyroid issues.

Hi Wylie,

Yes, best friend (a vet) was there--that's kind of what got us talking about the idea of a wellness clinic. A way to make up for the dog not seeing the vet at vaccine time if none are being given.

I'm almost sure the thyroid tests could be sent to Dodds if that's what a client wants. I'll have another chat with my friend and see what he has to say because I was thinking the same thing myself.

I had blood work done on a dog who had become a bit inactive, although at 8 one would expect them to start slowing down a bit. You know, "Frisbee Freak actually lets someone else play with it" kind of thing. He was an entire male and had developed a slightly enlarged prostate so that would have been slowing him down a bit. I had him desexed which fixed up that problem but low thyroid values showed up to my surprise. Once I started thinking about it, in hindsight of course, yes, he had some symptoms coming on. Now, looking at the rest of the pack, I can see related dogs with similar symptoms, not all of course in one dog, but just the inkling here and there. This dog's dam for one, she is a voracious Hoover and on a strict diet but remains over the ideal weight for her breed. They will all be tested.

Frisbee Freak started on Thyroxine 8 weeks ago now has a complete new 'smooth, lustrous, clean and healthy smelling coat' and as before, no one else gets a play with the Frisbee. I feel that if anyone does think their dog might have a thyroid issue, get some blood work done. At least if you get low values and the dog is put on supplements and improves as a result, you have done the right thing for him. It would be a pity though, to scare people off with the thought of having blood tests sent overseas for evaluation at some imagined high cost they might fear they are unable to afford. Maybe someone out there has an idea of the costs involved in sending blood to Hemopet? If I find some information I will post later. No doubt a specialist lab like this is preferred by anyone serious enough to test a dog in the first place.

To see a dog whose thyroid was slowly being destroyed, get onto supplements and start improvement within about 3 weeks was an absolute joy. It is worth what ever it takes for them to have their vitality back :D

'Another angle to consider re the yearly vaccine issue is merely the fact that the dog gets an exam he wouldn't otherwise get.

I don't see how it's really an issue. Good owners would have and want semi regular check ups anyway.

Yes, I do agree with you when it comes to Good owners, I'm just worried some people will adopt the old "If it ain't broke---don't fix it" attitude and some dogs will never see their vet again.

I know breeders, professionals and Good dog owners are less likely to overlook potential problems and would seek a vets opinion at the slightest inclination something might be amiss but when I was working as a vet nurse I witnessed a person that had called themselves a 'very knowledgeable breeder' for over 20 years, obviously considered themselves a Good dog owner, pop in during our morning tea break and ask the vet if a certain 'oral sheep worm drench' was now, as he believed, the preferred drug to topically treat the ringWORMS that his cat had now transferred to his show dogs.? I took one look at the vet's face, bit my cheek so I wouldn't spit out the sip of coffee I had just taken and excused myself from the room. So called Good owners like this are why dogs still need vets.

Yes, they walk among us, and this is why I vote YES to the wellness clinic.

I understand that they have a system in China where doctors are paid if their patients stay well and are docked if they become ill. That's different. Apparently people turn up to a type of 'wellness clinic' on a routine basis where they are prescribed herbs used in traditional Chinese medicine. These herbs along with the fact that the doctors routinely see patients so are aware of slight changes, are what keep the people healthy.

All that 'should' be needed is a certificate showing the titre level of the dog... proving that immunity to certain diseases is at an appropriate level to ensure the safety of that one dog and others. Very simple.

All that 'should' be needed is a certificate showing the titre level of the dog... proving that immunity to certain diseases is at an appropriate level to ensure the safety of that one dog and others. Very simple.

Totally agree with you and can't wait for these days to arrive here in Australia. We must keep up the fight and not give in to pressure from those that 'do not comprehend' :D

I say that if you can get a titer level done on your dogs and it shows immunity, but your club still won't let you participate---then start a new club------you could ban all dogs without titer certificates!!! :thumbsup: Seriously! What they don't realize is that just because a dog has had a vaccine---does not mean he has immunity and therefor is at more risk of spreading a disease than titer tested dogs.

A vaccine certificate is just that---'proof of vaccination' but a 'titer certificate' is proof of IMMUNITY. I know which dogs I'd rather hang with.

If I was forced to board my dogs I would be terrified, because they would be in close proximity to dogs I consider possible risks. Same as when we go to shows, dog parks, trials, whatever--we are mingling with vaccinated dogs---not necessarily immune dogs. If a vaccinated dog has not taken up immunity and is harboring a disease he picked up somewhere---he is capable of giving it to all other dogs there who also did not get immunity from their vaccines. Without titer testing---how do we know what dogs are safe, including our own? This alone should shine a very bright light on the 'titer certificate' and leave 'vaccination certificates' in the dark.