Vaccinate,or Not To Vaccinate Yearly.

All that 'should' be needed is a certificate showing the titre level of the dog... proving that immunity to certain diseases is at an appropriate level to ensure the safety of that one dog and others. Very simple.

Totally agree with you and can't wait for these days to arrive here in Australia. We must keep up the fight and not give in to pressure from those that 'do not comprehend' :D

I say that if you can get a titer level done on your dogs and it shows immunity, but your club still won't let you participate---then start a new club------you could ban all dogs without titer certificates!!! :thumbsup: Seriously! What they don't realize is that just because a dog has had a vaccine---does not mean he has immunity and therefor is at more risk of spreading a disease than titer tested dogs.

A vaccine certificate is just that---'proof of vaccination' but a 'titer certificate' is proof of IMMUNITY. I know which dogs I'd rather hang with.

If I was forced to board my dogs I would be terrified, because they would be in close proximity to dogs I consider possible risks. Same as when we go to shows, dog parks, trials, whatever--we are mingling with vaccinated dogs---not necessarily immune dogs. If a vaccinated dog has not taken up immunity and is harboring a disease he picked up somewhere---he is capable of giving it to all other dogs there who also did not get immunity from their vaccines. Without titer testing---how do we know what dogs are safe, including our own? This alone should shine a very bright light on the 'titer certificate' and leave 'vaccination certificates' in the dark.

This all sounds very reasonable! :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fact many childhood diseases are actually designed to help strengthen the immune system and have protective effects.

So you've nursed older children or adults who have never been vaccinated and contract measles?? You've watched those older children progressively lose their mental function over a period of weeks until they aer in a vegetative state, then die?? Can't see how not vaccinating helped any of the kids I've nursed who have been left with profound disabilities because they caught a disease that was vaccine preventable.

For example, catching the mumps helps protect girls from ovarian cancer later in life.

While men who have never been vaccinated against mumps can end up sterile if they contract the disease as adults. Can't see how not vaccinating against mumps is in the best interests of the child.

Being exposed to kids with chicken pox helps protect adults from shingles, which can be much more deadly than chicken pox ever could be.

Considering that you have to have had chicken pox to develop shingles, your statement that it helps 'protect' adults from shingles is misleading. If you have a high exposure to chicken pox when you are run-down or immunosuppressed, your chances of shingles occuring is actually increased, not decreased.

Thankfully, a WHO study published in March 2008 shows that they hope to eradicate measles from Australia and Europe by 2010 looks to be an acheivable goal with a 95% vaccination coverage. I feel for the 5% who put their children at risk of profound disability and/or death.

Here in NSW boarding kennels can make their own decisions. There is a Dept of Agriculture Code of Ethics which requires annual boosters, but it is not a legal requirement. Victoria has annual boosters legally mandated for kennels, so each state sets it's own requirements.

ed for dodgy keyboard (or user)

Edited by morgan

I will also point out that kennels have to abide by Govt law in the animal husbandry act.

So for changes it has to be done from govt level

Yes of course this is the case. You would have your hands tied for the time being. Let's just hope it all works out in the end for the sake of our dogs and we are not all herded into a pen like sheep and made to be at the mercy of vaccine companies whose motives we are questioning. I don't think there would be a person on this forum who did not have the welfare of their dog utmost in their mind. I think all we want is the truth.

This is where I am lucky when it comes to agility etc. One of my clubs is PICSI (the club that brought Jean to Sydney) so they obviously accept titre results and have done for years. I am an instructor at my other club which gives me a little leeway- I don't have to pay anything for membership so my form doesn't need to pass through all the hands, I just fill out my updated info and file it away. I was prepared to begin a fight with a different, old-fashioned obedience club to accept titre testing but I now have flyball most sundays so I won't be joining it anyway.

Good luck to all those trying to change the minds of their sporting clubs.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tess32
I've not been convinced that I should be giving ANY vaccinations at all...

Can't really find much proving that even the first set of vaccinations is useful.

The first vaccination that works causes the dog to seroconvert and produce the cells to protect agains that particular virus.

It might be ok not to vaccinate if you have a healthy dog with a strong immune system that will build a strong, natural immunity - but what are you going to do about dogs that don't fit this ideal?

I hope that was a joke??? :clap: That's not at all what we have been talking about. I'm a vet nurse, and I can tell you, that there is still a bit of Parvo around. Unfortunately I'm under oath, and I cannot disclose all the puppy farms still turning up with cases. :shhh:

For those interested, I have a price list for thyroid tests with hemopet. The ones Jean suggested I do (which I think are the standard ones?) is about $US85, plus shipping to get the blood to the USA. There's some specifications for shipping the blood, so I suggest those who are keen on doing the test, try and group up and have all the blood sent off together, to save shipping costs.

I've not been convinced that I should be giving ANY vaccinations at all...

Can't really find much proving that even the first set of vaccinations is useful.

The first vaccination that works causes the dog to seroconvert and produce the cells to protect agains that particular virus.

It might be ok not to vaccinate if you have a healthy dog with a strong immune system that will build a strong, natural immunity - but what are you going to do about dogs that don't fit this ideal?

Vaccinate them.

But I am not convinced I should be issuing the first vaccination as a matter of course. There appears to be quite a few well respected breeders & animal "people" who never vaccinate at all and come up with no problems.

Midol, you should try to get a copy of the notes from Jean Dodds. Both her, and the labs, kept reiterating how important it was to vaccinate, but just to do it right. Australia has one of the lowest incidents of canine disease and it is because we vaccinate.

Quirkyhound

I'd like to ask everyone, if yearly vaccines are deemed unnecessary in the future, and I have no doubt they will be, how many of you would use a service offered by vets where a vet gives the dog a yearly 'wellness' check consisting of a full clinical exam, blood work, i.e. thyroid if the indications were there, micro-chips, general advice re: non-invasive treatments/supplements, lifestyle recommendations (for the dog) and possibly titre testing?

I haven't vaccinated my dogs beyond puppy shots for something like 10 years.

When dogs are taken to the vet now for annual vaccinations, they usually listen to their hearts,check their mouths, eyes and ears, take their temp, and then vaccinate. Half them don't bother with most of this, they just vaccinate.

I do take the dogs for check ups on a regular basis. I don't know that I would want blood tests etc. done, which are not done now, unless I thought there was a problem. When I take them for a check up, I sometimes get bashed about vaccinating.

Prior to the MDBA hosting Jean Dodds in Brisbane, I phoned about 20 vets to find out if they were interested. The answer, in every case was a resounding NO. Some said that dogs should go to the vet annually for check ups, and if they weren't vaccinated, no one would come. Some didn't know anything about any protocols, and didn't want to know. Some were obviously only interested in the $$ which the vaccines brought in.

The AVA, as far as I know, raised this matter for discussion some years ago, and I thought the protocol had been changed in Australia. Maybe not.

Edited by Jed

Quirkyhound

I hope that was a joke??? That's not at all what we have been talking about. I'm a vet nurse, and I can tell you, that there is still a bit of Parvo around. Unfortunately I'm under oath, and I cannot disclose all the puppy farms still turning up with cases

No, it's not a joke. He is trying to start a fight. He does it in 90% of the threads he enters, and unfortunately, people respond because they don't want the contrary rubbish he peddles to be even considered as fact by people reading the forum.

If we all ignored him, he might go to some forum in which he had more interst, and where he was better accepted. At least then he would not be turning serious discussions which might alter the course of a dog's life, into trash and mindless arguments where the thrust of the thread is lost.

Midol, you should try to get a copy of the notes from Jean Dodds. Both her, and the labs, kept reiterating how important it was to vaccinate, but just to do it right. Australia has one of the lowest incidents of canine disease and it is because we vaccinate.

I looked but I could only find DVDs to buy from 5+ years ago and that seems a bit out of date really, I am sure heaps has changed since.

I looked but I could only find DVDs to buy from 5+ years ago and that seems a bit out of date really, I am sure heaps has changed since.

The MDBA made the recent lecture notes available to everyone not just members. I'm sure if you PM'd Steve she'd assist you to purchase a copy of them.