What Sex?

~*Amy*~

Hi,

We are hoping to add another Lad to our family and we aren't so sure on what sex to get. We currently have a girl (she is not desexed as yet).

I want to get a boy, but my Husband would like another girl.

I am just worried about the behaviour of 2 bitches together. Does anyone have experience with 2 bitches together and everything has been fine?

What sex would you get in our current situation.

As a side note, we will be getting our current Lab desexed, we have decided this in the last few days. The breeder we got her off recently asked us if had got her desexed yet and when we said No, they asked if we would be interested in breeding with her as she appears to be the last of there line as all the others have been desexed and they aren't breeding anymore. We thought about it, and we decided no. She was bought as a pet and the breeder knew that (she is on the 'main' register though). We don't have enough knowledge to breed succesfully and as my Husband said the rate of dogs being handed into the RSCPA is HUGE (and sad) and we don't wont to contribute in that in any way shape or form.

I would love to hear everyone thoughts.

And---- be careful- get a boy dog, and watch your husband get very evasive when the subject of castration comes up!!

Don't let him put the op off!! Be Strong!!!!

:laugh: I can see him now, he is already putting his own op off, he has said no more kids, but wont do anything about it. I can see him now projecting his own issues onto the dog! :laugh:

I prefer males to females so i would get a boy in your situation, however in saying that i have a couple of times successfully run bitches together.

First time was mother/daughter combination Weimaraners (desexed)

Second was a desexed greyhound and an entire weimaraner. The grey, now desexed weimaraner and another entire weim female get along fine now and we have never had any issues.

Both instances their personalities are quite opposite which is what i would look for if adding a dog of any gender to an existing pack of 1.

Alot of trainers are suggesting a male pup and desex once we're ready. Something about 2 bitches having issues, but I hope it all comes down to personality rather than gender. As my sibe pup is so playful, easy and submissive but you can't really know until she's around another dog 24/7. May be a different story, as we've only been interacting her with other dogs once a week and when friend's come around with their dogs.

As a general rule the best combination for your average pet owner is one of each sex. If you get another female they may get on really well and live happily ever after, but if they don't you may have to rehome one of them or keep them permanently separated. It is certainly possible to keep two or more bitches together with no problems, but if you do get a problem watch out because bitches hold grudges and if they fight chances are they will inflict major damage on each other. Fights between bitches are usually deadly serious and they can be virtually impossible to separate especially if you're on your own.

Get a male.

same sex aggression can be very serious in some breeds, esp bitch on bitch.

I have always had males rotts (I honestly prefer boys), Jett is the first bitch I've evern had. We are getting a male in Nov as we've always had 2 or more dogs (always males) and have never had a problem with them, but I've heard of females who will fight to the death, no matter wher the breed of dog. I personally would never have 2 bitches and let them run together. With males there are warning signs (barking, snarling etc) so you can try and get their before shit hit the fan, with bitches I've heard its all quiet and then attack, no warning and no chance of getting in before anything serious happens.

I often wonder what breeders do, if they keep each bitch in their own run....

I would definately recomment going opposite to what you have now.

Trina

Here is an article of two bitches who lived together that hated each other, unfortunately the outcome is not a good one, but for anyone thinking about 2 dogs of the same sex, its a very worthwhile read...

Bitch Fight:

Life with two dogs who hate each other

By Christie Keith

One day, as if out of the clear blue sky, my 6-year-old cattle dog mix, Scarlett, decided that Colleen, my 12-year-old chow mix, had to die.

Of course this didn't really come out of nowhere, and looking back with that 20/20 hindsight we all have, I can see many hints of the battle to come. Sadly, I misunderstood most of the warning signs and let denial make me blind to the rest. The result? A badly wounded Colleen, and my lifestyle in turmoil.

When female dogs fight, they aren't doing it ritualistically, but to determine which of the two is going to continue to draw breath when the fight is over. Advice to "let the two of them work it out" isn't going to cut it in this type of dominance battle. Usually, "working it out" involves the death or serious injury of the loser- and the winner doesn't generally fare too well either. In addition to the dangers to the dogs, the human family members can get hurt trying to break up the fights.

So, what can you do when a situation like this arises? I wanted my old peaceable kingdom back.

First of all, I took both dogs in for complete veterinary exams. Colleen is definitely getting old, and while she was the "alpha of the universe" for many years, illness or just general old age could make her a more attractive target for a challenger. A friend of mine who has Rottweilers, chows, and chow mixes herself, said, "I always worry, when a younger dog makes a move, if they KNOW something medical about the older that we haven't picked up yet. I have a few friends who have had alpha old bitches who had to be protected in their last years of life because the younger alpha-wanna-be would kill them, because even in their infirm state they would NEVER back down to the youngster." This described Colleen perfectly. Also, several common health problems, such as thyroid disease, can cause increased aggression in dogs, so it was important to get Scarlett examined as well. However, both came back with a clean bill of health.

I then consulted a number of trainers and a behaviorist, only to get some discouraging news. There's not a whole heck of a lot you can do about dominance aggression between bitches other than keep them separated. That was not what I wanted to hear, as keeping them apart was putting a lot of stress on my household.

One trainer advised me to reinforce Scarlett as the new "alpha," while another said that would simply make her MORE aggressive about protecting her rank. The most useful advice I got was to remember that the only alpha in my house is me, not either of the dogs, and that if I say "no fights," then they all have to live with that. My friend agreed, saying she would "avoid backing the younger dog. It will make her bolder and might push Colleen to fight harder to regain it."

Many people suggested I find a new home for Scarlett, but with her history of on-leash dog aggression (one of the signs I missed), this problem with Colleen, her inability to be around cats, and an extremely high energy level, it's very hard to imagine finding a home that would work for her. And of course, despite everything, I love her.

I've worked on increasing her obedience training, so she is more tuned in to me, and this helped me break up the last couple of fights. I actually moved to a new house where I was able to keep them separate more effectively. I take Scarlett out with me a lot, and have Colleen in my office with me a lot.

Calming Signals

I also explored one option that I feel extremely optimistic about, and hope to write more about in a future article. I went to a seminar on "calming signals," a dog training and communication theory based on the work of Norwegian trainer Turid Rugaas, author of On Talking Terms With Dogs: Calming Signals. Given by Bonny Doon, CA's Jodi Frediani, it was a daylong, hands-on seminar, and Jodi did more with Scarlett in a fifteen minute demonstration than I've accomplished in years. I'm hoping that this will enable me to change the way Scarlett relates to other dogs, although only time will tell.

In the meantime, Scarlett sleeps in a crate next to my bed, and the two dogs are kept apart at all times, whether supervised or not. My new house has an excellent open plan that enables us all to be "together" even though a gate separates the space into two large areas. Colleen, as befits her status as my oldest and best-loved dog, gets more of my time and attention, but I make sure that Scarlett gets her share too. It's made my life a bit more complicated, but keeping Colleen safe is my responsibility, so I will find a way to make it work.

Wish us well.

Colleen passed away at the age of 15. The combination of separation and training, along with treatment by my homeopathic veterinarian, kept the rest of our years peaceful. There was never another fight, but Colleen and Scarlett never had any time together indoors without being separated. They were able to go on walks together easily. I miss Colleen more than words can ever tell, but there's no doubt things are easier now, for Scarlett and for me.

Well we seem to have landed on this debate again!! I have three female labs who all adore each other and have never had a moments grief. I personally prefer females and have no dominance/aggression issues. Personally I think absolutely nothing of this "bitch" aggression rubbish and will happily have further females. My girls make a lovely trio and welcome house guests, male or female. That being said, it would be very smart to desex your girl and let her settle for a few months before addin a pup in that she may otherwise feel obligated to mother!

As with Alanglen, I prefer the girl dogs, at the moment I have 2 girls (9 and 11) and a younger boy and the girls have always gotten along well and are great friends.

I have read the story by TrinaJ and whilst I think it is something to be aware of, more often than not two desexed girls get along no worries and never have an issue.

I wouldn't be put off getting another girl in the future and probably will because she will complement my boy. For a pet home home I would always advise one of each I think they bounce off each other well.

As with Alanglen, I prefer the girl dogs, at the moment I have 2 girls (9 and 11) and a younger boy and the girls have always gotten along well and are great friends.

I have read the story by TrinaJ and whilst I think it is something to be aware of, more often than not two desexed girls get along no worries and never have an issue.

I wouldn't be put off getting another girl in the future and probably will because she will complement my boy. For a pet home home I would always advise one of each I think they bounce off each other well.

Have a read of this story:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=142980

I would get a boy, we have 2 girls, they are a small breed and get along well, but i always worry.

Edited by radish

I have 2 grown entire labrador bitches and one desexed lab bitch, as well as 3 young pups (2 girls & 1 boy). My girls are very accepting of other girls into the clan. I really think it depends on the personality of your girl. I would get her desexed and then like someone else mentioned, and leave it a little bit before adding another pup whatever sex you decide.

I have never had a problem with any of my girls, they all love each other.

Lots of people have 2 bitches together without a problem - though if you get 2 alpha bitches then you have a massive problem. Boys tend to have a growl, take a bite and then get over it, but 2 girls fighting is a horrible sight to see!

I've seen boys fighting and i've seen girls fighting and i would rather have 2 boys than 2 girls in my house. I think one of each is the way to go.

I have 2 grown entire labrador bitches and one desexed lab bitch, as well as 3 young pups (2 girls & 1 boy). My girls are very accepting of other girls into the clan. I really think it depends on the personality of your girl. I would get her desexed and then like someone else mentioned, and leave it a little bit before adding another pup whatever sex you decide.

I have never had a problem with any of my girls, they all love each other.

I agree with Shellbyville. Certainly have your existing girl desexed before the pup arrives and give her time to settle and fully recover from her operation before bringing a new member into your household.

WE have 3 entire girls and an entire male. They all run together, play togehter and I have never heard a snarl or growl towards each other from any of them. Two of them are full litter sisters and over the years I have heard stories about raising litter siblings together and one being submissive etc - I see no evidence of that here.

We have lots of visitors that bring thier dogs, often entire dogs or bitches and they all just play together, no aggro, no worries.

Like Shellbyville I believe it is in the nature of your dogs, but I also believe it comes from the nature of the owners. You must be the Alpha male and female in your house and they must understand that they are living in your pack.