Howling

Tom Walker

Hi there,

My 6 month old Samoyed/Husky is putting me in a tight situation at the moment.

When everyone in the house leaves for work during the day, my baby boy Banjo howls due to loneliness/boredom.

Today I had a complaint from a person in the complex that we live in. If she files a formal complaint she could get us into trouble.

is there any way to get him to stop the habit?

I have thought of: --- This is not possible because:

Another dog --- There isn't enough room in my backyard for another.

Move out from home --- I can't afford to, and I plan on going to university next year so definitely not.

Move to my father's house --- He has a dog, but his house is too far away from work, friends and my girlfriend.

Give away my dog --- Are you kidding? he's made me so happy there is no way I'd want to get rid of him.

If anyone has any tips or tricks to get him to stop it would be really appreciated, thank you :)

Edited by Tom Walker

No claims to be an expert on this stuff but I think Baifra's got the right idea. You can also

-make leaving very boring, don't fuss or say goodbye

- leave a radio on low for company

- stuff one of those Kong toys with yummy dog treats/cheese etc and leave it with him as a distraction.

I'd do these as well as the morning run though, not instead of

yeah I've been taking him on 30 minute walks, maybe extend it out further? and more running? I usually take him out to the oval around the back of my complex and let him sniff his way to the other end, then call him back so he runs his little legs off, then repeat a couple of times before I walk him home.

He doesn't seem to like the kong ball :) I've stuffed it with everything. dog food, peanut butter, fresh dog bones... everything, he just can't be bothered hah, it's like he's saying "jeepers, I'm not running around just for food"

Thanks for the input guys, I'll definitely start the extra exercise tomorrow, keep the info coming though! would be greatly appreciated!

yeah I've been taking him on 30 minute walks, maybe extend it out further? and more running? I usually take him out to the oval around the back of my complex and let him sniff his way to the other end, then call him back so he runs his little legs off, then repeat a couple of times before I walk him home.

He doesn't seem to like the kong ball :) I've stuffed it with everything. dog food, peanut butter, fresh dog bones... everything, he just can't be bothered hah, it's like he's saying "jeepers, I'm not running around just for food"

Thanks for the input guys, I'll definitely start the extra exercise tomorrow, keep the info coming though! would be greatly appreciated!

That is a lot of exercise for a growing pup. I'd not extend it. Does he like to chase a ball? Is it possible to leave some music on for him? A radio maybe? Is there something he really likes that he can get just as you are leaving?

That sounds like a long enough run for that age if he gets it every morning, maybe add in a little training to tire his mind as well as his body.

Shame he doesn't like the Kong. I wasn't quite sure what you meant with running after it, with mine it's just something they lay down and work at. Is he getting a meal in the morning? If not I'd try that as well, a full tummy can be settling and at that age I'd be giving at least 2 meals still (but I don't know about his breed type).

Is he OK with being left at other times, or is it just when he's left all day that he gets upset? You may need to do some specific 'home alone' training if he is generally unhappy at being separated from you. I assume there is no chance soemone can get home to him in the day at all, he's still a baby really and it must seem like a long day to him. Does he have toys in the yard?

What about another type of treat ball? One that he has to roll around to get the food and treats to fall out of?

Can you hide treats around your backyard before you leave? Might be fun for him to try and find them?

Guest june.andnovas

I would start pretending to leave the house .. get your keys, wallet and leave the house as you would to go to work etc but not actually leave the first few times. then get in your car, drive around the block for 5 minutes and then start leaving for 10 minutes and then longer.

By the sounds of it when your pup was young you've never taught him that it is ok for him to be on his own .. you've always been there with him and now you've gone back to work. You need to re-teach him NOW while he's still a puppy.

You can't blame him for howliing .. you're his master and you've left him alone alll day long and he has no idea! A radio will also help defiantly. Feeding your pup just before you leave is a good idea, pups tend to sleep longer on a full belly. That is if he is kept outside.

But yeah get onto it straight away ... train him that he can amuse himself while you're away at work. You need more than toys!

Do you know whether he is starting to howl as soon as you leave or later in the day? As june.andnovas said your dog needs to get used to being by himself. Mixing up how you leave, leaving for short bursts, calm exits and entrances will all help him learn to cope. He could be howling from separation anxiety or boredom. As well as the exercise some mental work - train him to touch your hand or foot, get him to stand on a box or in a box, simple tricks you can practice in short bursts will also wear him out mentally. What about freezing some chicken stock in an ice cream container with some chicken in it as well (or a chicken wing/frame/thigh) - he has to work at it for a while. I use the stuffed kong as something for the dog to work at to calm them rather than to chase - have you tried cream cheese?? My pup would rather this over peanut butter!! Hide treats under things or throw them around the garden.

Edited by Jigsaw

When everyone in the house leaves for work during the day, my baby boy Banjo howls due to loneliness/boredom.

Practice leaving him alone on weekends while you are at home. You could leave him in the yard with a few toys, or in his favourite room (wherever he is likely to be all day) while you watch TV or do other things around the house. If he starts to howl, wait for some time, then go in and ask him to be quiet. If he quietens, wait for 20 seconds, then give him a treat. Keep repeating this exercise till he gets the idea that howling is not good, and that it is ok to be alone. You do have to be careful though that you don't end up giving the idea that he can call you by howling.

Last weekend, my elkhound suddenly started barking each time there was the sound of thunder (he has never done that before). I and my husband got up at 2.30 in the morning, and trained him for half an hour to be quiet by following the above procedure. Next day, we played the sound of thunder all morning while he was with us. He started barking initially, but then soon got used to it and stopped.

That is a lot of exercise for a growing pup. I'd not extend it. Does he like to chase a ball? Is it possible to leave some music on for him? A radio maybe? Is there something he really likes that he can get just as you are leaving?

No unfortunately, he doesn't like to fetch. I can leave some music on, I shall try that tomorrow. I Give him a bone every second day just before I leave for work.

That sounds like a long enough run for that age if he gets it every morning, maybe add in a little training to tire his mind as well as his body.

Shame he doesn't like the Kong. I wasn't quite sure what you meant with running after it, with mine it's just something they lay down and work at. Is he getting a meal in the morning? If not I'd try that as well, a full tummy can be settling and at that age I'd be giving at least 2 meals still (but I don't know about his breed type).

Is he OK with being left at other times, or is it just when he's left all day that he gets upset? You may need to do some specific 'home alone' training if he is generally unhappy at being separated from you. I assume there is no chance soemone can get home to him in the day at all, he's still a baby really and it must seem like a long day to him. Does he have toys in the yard?

What I meant by running after it was the idea that he has to roll the ball around to get the treats out of it. He has two different types of rope toys, a tennis ball that he doesn't chase, and the Kong ball.

What about another type of treat ball? One that he has to roll around to get the food and treats to fall out of?

Can you hide treats around your backyard before you leave? Might be fun for him to try and find them?

Yeah I have one of those ones, he just doesn't seem to want to bother :rofl:

A friend of mine told me the same thing, but I think I need to find what he really likes first before I hide anything.

By the sounds of it when your pup was young you've never taught him that it is ok for him to be on his own .. you've always been there with him and now you've gone back to work. You need to re-teach him NOW while he's still a puppy.

But yeah get onto it straight away ... train him that he can amuse himself while you're away at work. You need more than toys!

I got him when he was 5 months, so originally I thought it was just because of him adjusting to the change, but it's been over a month now and he still howls. I believe he was used to the company of another dog and a family that always had someone at home, due to the previous owners being shift workers

Do you know whether he is starting to howl as soon as you leave or later in the day? As june.andnovas said your dog needs to get used to being by himself. Mixing up how you leave, leaving for short bursts, calm exits and entrances will all help him learn to cope. He could be howling from separation anxiety or boredom. As well as the exercise some mental work - train him to touch your hand or foot, get him to stand on a box or in a box, simple tricks you can practice in short bursts will also wear him out mentally. What about freezing some chicken stock in an ice cream container with some chicken in it as well (or a chicken wing/frame/thigh) - he has to work at it for a while. I use the stuffed kong as something for the dog to work at to calm them rather than to chase - have you tried cream cheese?? My pup would rather this over peanut butter!! Hide treats under things or throw them around the garden.

He howls later on in the day, usually around 3:30-4, just before I get home. I should go out and get a kong toy to stuff, rather than the ball, to see if he will be more interested in that. Haven't tried cream cheese, I used peanut butter because he liked it when I first gave him a little. He seems to love cheese when I drop it on the floor so you could be on to something!

Thank you for the help everyone! hopefully I can throw all your helpful advice together and help him to refrain from the howling :eek:

If anyone else has any other information, feel free to post! the more help I can get the better!

His exercise is mostly what 'he' wants to do? run and sniff?

try doing 10-15 minutes of leash /heel walking, with some basic obedience, where YOU decide what is to be done, and he gets his praise for a job well done!

This will help make him want to just 'switch off' when he's home- plus he's not doing too much running on those young bones :rofl:

He howls later on in the day, usually around 3:30-4, just before I get home. I should go out and get a kong toy to stuff, rather than the ball, to see if he will be more interested in that. Haven't tried cream cheese, I used peanut butter because he liked it when I first gave him a little. He seems to love cheese when I drop it on the floor so you could be on to something!

If he's howling later in the day it could be from boredom/loneliness more than a separation anxiety. There could also be a trigger (someone else say with a noisy car, kids coming home nearby or a school bell or something) that he's responding to in the neighbourhood that he associates with you returning home soon and he's just letting everyone know he knows you're coming home. You know like the psychic dogs! You might need to change the routine by which you come home in that case ie mixing it up. Get your neighbours to keep a record (if they're friendly) of when and how often/long he howls for. This would be your best indicator as to what might be triggering it.

Perhaps if you hold the kong while he tries to get the stuffing out and interact positively with him a few times so he gets the idea he might have more interest in it! Make it an exciting thing for your pup! One method to gain their interest is to initially tease the dog - let them sniff and pull it away, let them sniff again and pull it away, then their interest should be piqued and they should show interest - we hope!

Sounds like he is very lonely. If he is anything like my Samoyed he will be dieing for attention from someone and they have no qualms about making it known.

Samoyeds love company, anyones company and it sounds like he is trying to get attention from someone nearby.

You mentioned before that you can't get another dog (thats a shame as they are great with other dogs), is there someone you know who would be happy to take him for the day who is at home or even has another dog for him to spend time with? There is also the option of doggie daycare, maybe not every day but once or twice a week to break up his routine?

But starting from the basics again as someone else mentioned about your leaving and coming back would be a good place to start. Also the idea of a more training like walk could help tire him out.

I hope you are able to figure something out for him. I can imagine a Samoyed Husky cross has a very loud howl.

Sounds like he is very lonely. If he is anything like my Samoyed he will be dieing for attention from someone and they have no qualms about making it known.

Samoyeds love company, anyones company and it sounds like he is trying to get attention from someone nearby.

You mentioned before that you can't get another dog (thats a shame as they are great with other dogs), is there someone you know who would be happy to take him for the day who is at home or even has another dog for him to spend time with? There is also the option of doggie daycare, maybe not every day but once or twice a week to break up his routine?

But starting from the basics again as someone else mentioned about your leaving and coming back would be a good place to start. Also the idea of a more training like walk could help tire him out.

I hope you are able to figure something out for him. I can imagine a Samoyed Husky cross has a very loud howl.

I originally considered moving to my father's house due to the fact that he has a dog himself, but its 45 minutes away from where I live now, and thats 45 minutes away from the city :laugh:

My plans were to move out of home in January-February next year, but I sort of need to get him to hold on until then.

Yes his howl is loud and awful, and because I live in a complex, it bounces off the walls of the other houses and projects a long way.

Could you afford a pet sitter to visit for a half hour during the day and take him for a walk or just play in the yard and give him a treat. If it was a regular arrangement, they would probably give you a very good price.

Some great suggestions from everyone! If your neighbours can work with you to pinpoint when your boy is howling as you continue to work on different tricks it would make life alot easier for you to try new ideas to target when its happening, not to mention it will build a better rapport with you and your neighbour and when they see how you are really trying to have you all live harmiously they may have a few ideas they can help you with when they are home as well. You might be able to book a dog walker for the time when he is loosing the plot now or you could leave a new toy or treat with the neighbour to give to him. Good luck!

Our Malamute puppy used to howl every time we left the house. He would only do it for about 10 mins or so though.

He's now 6 and we also have a second dog. He no longer howls when we leave the house. However they both howl if one gets to go for a walk and the other gets left behind (I only walk one at a time). The male is worse than the female and the noise he makes so so pityful - it sounds like he is being tortured.

I haven't figured out a way to get them to stop. I just make sure I don't walk too early in the morning so the neighbours don't get upset. Not much help I know, but I figured I'd let you know you are not alone with the howling. :happydance2: