When A Good Idea Goes Bad

Nekhbet

OK so I've been unemployed for a while. My savings are gone on rent and I want to make my dog food last longer, by no means poverty stricken but I need to tighten my belt for a while. My doggies were also a bit porky so they could do with some weight loss but theyre always starving :laugh:

I got a bag of Farrells 4x2 greyhound biscuits since they are hard and fairly dry, low protein/fat the dogs could chomp away on a few a day without gaining more weight. They are also on chicken carcasses and veges.

Well ... Skootas hair is falling out :laugh:

Bugger me. He hasnt eaten Royal Canin for about 1 1/2 weeks and he's going bald. The patch between his shoulder blades, base of the neck and 1/3 way down his back has become VERY patchy, skin looks dodgy and he's started moulting like no tomorrow in general. He's not scratching he's just 'thinning' all over for lack of a better word. It must be the fillers and lack of oils in the Farrells. The other two are fine on them but Skoota is banned from them and back onto RC and carcasses, veges and Diesel is still on his usual hand full of supplements.

I have flax seed oil ... ahahaaa if anyone cares to come and watch a grown mastiff crack the shits at a syringe full of flax seed oil, roll over and throw a tantrum bring the fold out chairs and an esky. Tis a sight to behold. I'll have to get it into him somehow, and some fish oil tablets but I lose a hand trying to push anything into his throat :o One tactic is when he once barked to tell me off for giving him supplements I squirted it in :eek: HA teach him to bark at me too

eta ... for those who dont know Skooty Patooty

DSC00435-1.jpg

Edited by Nekhbet

he sniffs all his food suspiciously since I put oil in it :laugh: I feel like saying FFS its not that bad just eat it. I tried it its human grade organic, really not that horrible. Diesel tries to suck down the whole bottle if I let him.

I'm a little loathe to go back to canned fish as what came out the back end after a couple of fishy meals :laugh: dear dog that was not from this planet. Maybe I'll make some raw mince balls and hide some capsules in those

they only get a 2-3 per day, it looks like an aweful lot of cereal to pump into a dog anyway. Guts and poo are doing ok i've been keeping an eye on that (no I dont follow my dogs staring at their bums :laugh:) They do contain wheat I think which may be the problem as he never gets any wheat in his diet before this

Have you tried Uncle Albers/Great Barko? My guys are doing well on it and it's quite a dense concentrated food...one of my GSD's is only getting 2 cups a day...as opposed to 4cups of Euk!

snap just about to suggest that

Nek it is $25 a 22.5kg bag at Robbos.

Have you tried Uncle Albers/Great Barko? My guys are doing well on it and it's quite a dense concentrated food...one of my GSD's is only getting 2 cups a day...as opposed to 4cups of Euk!

Sorry to the hijack

where in Brisbane can you get this, south side if possible please/?

Great Barko pretty much reads like the 4x2 biscuits except with more protein which worries me. I'm suprised Diesel isnt falling apart his skin is very bad since he had Parvo months ago, he's usually the one with bald patches.

I've just never seen a dogs hair fall out that quickly! My gosh I hydrobathed him (he had decided to roll in the chook poo I put on the roses) and it came off in clump :( He loves cooked rice with his veges so I'll use that to bulk out the meal instead of the 4x2s . I have a few Kgs of RC left so he'll have that too for his skin. Skoota is actually not a huge eater he lived on about 3 big coffee mugs of RC a day and gained weight on it, he's fairly good on the food that way. Either that or 3-4 chicken carcasses and a bowl of veges and rice do him. Would just be nice to be able to give everyone the same bloody thing for once!

Great Barko's

INGREDIENTS

Great Barko is formulated from a selection of the following ingredients. Cooked meat or meat by-products derived from beef, lamb, chicken, pork, cooked fish or fish by-products, fat, cooked cereals, wheaten bran. Canola and soy products derived from them. Lysine, methionine, antioxidant, bentonite, vitamins and minerals.

Vitamins: A, D3, E, K, B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B6 (pyridoxine), B12, niacin, pantothenate, folic acid and biotin.

Minerals: Calcium, phosphorus, sodium, chloride, cobalt, copper, iodine, iron, manganese, selenium and zinc.

I cant find the ingredients for the 4x2's

4x2s

wholegrain cereal and cereal by products, meat and meat by products (including beef, mutton or poultry), dicalcium phosphate, salt, preservatives, antioxidants

Crude Protein 12%

Crude Fibre 5%

Crude fat 3%

salt (sodium) 1.5%

its the wholegrain cereals and byproducts, he really didnt eat them before and since he started *poof* hair falling out. I'm going to give him a couple of weeks and if its not settling after being taken off the 4x2 then vet time. Netti he has been like this before, when he was younger his previous owners bad diet gave him a great case of folliculitis and he had the same patching in the same places combined with allover shed.

hmm i'm wondering why they put bentonite in Great Barkos ... does that count as mineral ash? Thats what they make cat litter out of :cry:

on the upside they are loosing the podgy pounds :banghead: before the warm weather kicks in this summer looks to be a right scorcher

thanks WEIA I might try that. I think there are flavoured products but I avoid 'flavourings'

Jules I thought maybe too (Diesel isnt really a barometer for things being off he eats old garbage and mouldy food) Princess Mina thinks its OK and I had a taste too occasionally to make sure. tastes OK I think he's being a turd :thumbsup:

hey I found a great product at the food and wine show has anyone heard of Flax Fibre? It's 100% organic flax meal from new zealand and BOY it makes you drink a lot of water! I got some for Mina to try as apparently its good for cholesterol, blood sugar and oestrogen levels in the body. She had a fatty deposit growing on her eyeball so I freaked out that my baby was going blind :rofl: its finally gone ;) so I'm using it myself, its quite, well, cleansing :rofl: