Obedience Challenge #2

OK - here is challenge # 2. No reason for it - just something to try. :rofl:

Most dogs have a good recall by the time the are ready for CCD. However, if you change the picture, will the dog still come on the first call?

So I would be interested to hear if you think your dog will come and do a straight present, or if you think it will just sit there - then post and let us know what happened.

Leave the dog in a sit stay/wait.

Take 15 steps, but do not about turn.

Call your dog using a verbal and hand signal as you would in a normal recall

and let us know what happens.

Be specific if the dog comes and tell us how it presented, whether it sat or stood etc and let us also know what level of training the dog is at.

A reminder - no food to be used :birthday:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK - here is challenge # 2. No reason for it - just something to try. :rofl:

Most dogs have a good recall by the time the are ready for CCD. However, if you change the picture, will the dog still come on the first call?

So I would be interested to hear if you think your dog will come and do a straight present, or if you think it will just sit there - then post and let us know what happened.

Leave the dog in a sit stay/wait.

Take 15 steps, but do not about turn.

Call your dog using a verbal and hand signal as you would in a normal recall

and let us know what happens.

Be specific if the dog comes and tell us how it presented, whether it sat or stood etc and let us also know what level of training the dog is at.

A reminder - no food to be used :birthday:

I'll try this tomorrow.

I can almost guarantee what my dog will do. He'll come and sit halfway between 'front' position and 'heel' position.

My dog is 8mo and is ready to graduate to 'level 3'.

His recall is good but his 'front' isn't straight enough. Too much returning to heel after recall I think :o It's something I need to work on.

Ok first was Molly, came in lovely then sat about 10 o clock in front of me :rofl: almost there!

Then Ed, who came to a lovely heel beside me :birthday:

(Mind you with Ed I am not doing these in drive, as we are part way through doing the drive training, but give me a few more months and I'll let you know what a dog in full food drive will do!)

hehe - I tried a couple of times.

Notes:

1. Changed too many variables:

- it's dark - never trained at night before

- we weren't in 'training mode' - didn't warm up, didn't have my treat bag on...

2. I am still working on the difference between 'wait' and 'stay' - so his 'wait' isn't as strong as his 'stay'.

Attempt 1

Just outside the front door, no warm up, never perfromed a stay/wait in that location before

Broke wait when I got about 12 paces away and ran toward me.

Attempt 2

Same location

Shortened distance to 10 paces

Recalled to about 10 o'clock, sat.

Attempt 3

On lawn - usually training location. But it's still quite dark. Minimal garden lighting.

Broke wait at 12 paces as above.

Attempt 4

Same location

Used down instead of sit.

Recalled to a rough heel position (about 1 foot away on my left), sat.

An interesting exercise and some lessons learned!!!!

PS - He's probably 6 months away from CCD.

Edited by Luke W

Darcy came straight into an autosit at heel.

She has her CCD but its been almost 18 months since we've done any formal obedience and recall. I did wake her up from roasting herself in front of the heater to try it :rofl:

Edited by Jess.

Its raining here at the moment - so I will give it a go tomorrow night.

I think Blaize will just sit there when called :rofl: .

Scoota will come and will sit in front but it wont be a terrific present

Beans I think will come and either stand or sit in heel position

Lexi - hmm not sure she will probably come and sit between a front and heel position.

I wonder how close in my gestimates I will be.....

Mishka - came and did a straight present though could have been a bit closer. She has 2 passes at CD before she went on strike and I have taught her to recall from different positions and do a straight finish.

Moss - came and sat at right angles with his head in front of my legs- so half way there. He is just about ready to trial in novice.

Cole came and stood in front off me. He has very little formal obedience but a very reliable recall.

Edited by Janba

My guess for Jarrah (remembering that we have done hardly anything on formal recalls with a sit in front) is that he will come straight to heel (stand at heel for dancing - most probable) or he will come around & stand in front (our main working position for training). If I face him he's been taught to come to the front position (stand) but if Im facing away with feet together he's been taught to come to heel (although I would normally call heel, not come). I'll try it tomorrow & see how we go!

I'll try this tomorrow! My guess is that Ruby will come and sit about 9 or 10 o'clock looking at me.

She's a Lab, 22 months old, obedience trained since a pup with food rewards, and just about ready for CCD (once I improve the focus she's there I think, yes I know, a big part of it!! And my confidence needs an up, too!!!)

How interesting!!!

Jedi (7 months old; clicker trained) - Recalled and sat at right angles to my leg... :laugh: Then again, we have never worked on formal recalls except from in front. Not that that's an excuse because.................

Ahsoka (15 weeks old; clicker trained) - Recalled with a perfect present to front - straight, nice and close, focus on me... the lot!! That was a huge surprise!!!!!! I thought she would sit behind me or who knows what, but definitely not what she did! I haven't done much formal recall work with her at all!!

I really must put the training in drive DVDs up higher on the shelf so she can't find them when I am not around :cheer: . True come she did hahahahaha. Might be the last time I try one of Ptolomy's challenges. Obviously they aren't suited to black and white land sharks :) .

Edited by ness