Desexing

WarKu

Maybe it's just guys with small penises that need the bits attached.

To the OP - desex, hon. She wont bleed everywhere, try to escape to get knocked up or get narky when she's coming into season.

Yes. Personality however, is not simply "behaviour".

I don't really give a toss if a dog can still "work" once desexed. Desexing CHANGES the dogs behaviour. Whether it is by a lot, or a little, changes occur.

Hell, the main reason most desex is to alter SEXUAL DRIVE. That's reducing a drive, and modifying a personality.

Desexing alters personality and behaviour, good luck convincing me otherwise. If it didn't change anything then we wouldn't get it done.

QUOTE per·son·al·i·ty (pûr'sə-nāl'ĭ-tē) Pronunciation Key

n. pl. per·son·al·i·ties

1. The quality or condition of being a person.

2. The totality of qualities and traits, as of character or behavior, that are peculiar to a specific person.

3. The pattern of collective character, behavioral, temperamental, emotional, and mental traits of a person: Though their personalities differed, they got along as friends.

4. Distinctive qualities of a person, especially those distinguishing personal characteristics that make one socially appealing: won the election more on personality than on capability. See Synonyms at disposition.

1. A person as the embodiment of distinctive traits of mind and behavior.

2. A person of prominence or notoriety: television personalities.

6. An offensively personal remark. Often used in the plural: Let's not engage in personalities.

7. The distinctive characteristics of a place or situation: furnishings that give a room personality.

Your definitions have nothing to do with dogs! Number one should have alerted you to that.

Yes. Personality however, is not simply "behaviour".

I don't really give a toss if a dog can still "work" once desexed. Desexing CHANGES the dogs behaviour. Whether it is by a lot, or a little, changes occur.

Hell, the main reason most desex is to alter SEXUAL DRIVE. That's reducing a drive, and modifying a personality.

Desexing alters personality and behaviour, good luck convincing me otherwise. If it didn't change anything then we wouldn't get it done.

QUOTE per·son·al·i·ty (pûr'sə-nāl'ĭ-tē) Pronunciation Key

n. pl. per·son·al·i·ties

1. The quality or condition of being a person.

2. The totality of qualities and traits, as of character or behavior, that are peculiar to a specific person.

3. The pattern of collective character, behavioral, temperamental, emotional, and mental traits of a person: Though their personalities differed, they got along as friends.

4. Distinctive qualities of a person, especially those distinguishing personal characteristics that make one socially appealing: won the election more on personality than on capability. See Synonyms at disposition.

1. A person as the embodiment of distinctive traits of mind and behavior.

2. A person of prominence or notoriety: television personalities.

6. An offensively personal remark. Often used in the plural: Let's not engage in personalities.

7. The distinctive characteristics of a place or situation: furnishings that give a room personality.

Your definitions have nothing to do with dogs! Number one should have alerted you to that.

Midol is madly googling for info about humans rather than dogs again, is he? No surprises there :D

It'll lower the dogs drive which is a personality change.

Really ? please explain

Thought the dog was a male, but I assume bitches lose drive when desexed as well. Tis' the reason working dogs are entire, after all.

Not entirely sure how I explain it. Remove the dogs balls or girly bits and the dogs drive drops. Do you need a diagram?

Rubbish, never dropped my working GSD bred girl's drive at all.

Which particular drive? A dog's behaviour or personality is determined by measuring percentage against a number of drives. I assisted with the preparation of a report many years ago. Our research included, but was not limited to, the work of Volhard - Canine Personality Profile

Thank doG our Beagle is not aware that desexing him has compromised his food drive :thumbsup:

Which particular drive? A dog's behaviour or personality is determined by measuring percentage against a number of drives. I assisted with the preparation of a report many years ago. Our research included, but was not limited to, the work of Volhard - Canine Personality Profile

Thank doG our Beagle is not aware that desexing him has compromised his food drive :thumbsup:

I've also been studying personality in animals, and Midol, you are way off the mark.

My Lucy got desexed just over a week ago now, and apart from that first night home where she was dopey and not her usual loving self, she is absolutely 100% the same :love: Her personality hasnt changed at all, I got worried for a minute but gave her some time to let that anasthetic wear off :rofl:

They don't suddenly lose the will to live and spend the rest of their days laying around on the couch , eating themselves into oblivion :love:

:rofl::rofl: oh bugger, I was hoping to blame my lazyiness / blubber / social issues on my tubal ligation 20 years ago !!!

fifi

Desexing females, when you are running more that one, stops the nasties they display to one another as they come on seasons.

Desexing males - I desexed my first boxer (supposedly first show-dog, Monorchid, another story) when he was 9 months old.

He stayed a perfect guard dog, protector of my kids and I and my business. He was so good at his job that the local copper and most of the local businesses would have loved to be able to get one of his offspring for the same job. One even bought a dog out of the same kennel he was from ("not a patch on Zac" though, owners' words). I did lend him out occassionally, when certain businesses were being targeted (vandals/thieves), it was a small town and we all knew each other.

He had no personality change after desexing. His only behavioural change was that he stopped breaking his leather collars, once a month, to go search out the newest bitch he could smell. (PAL sent me a couple of new collars that year, free, 'cos they didn't make anything stronger and I didn't want to wrap a chain around his throat when he was on his running lead.

This dog also played happily and gently with small children and their friends.

Edited by Clankaree