If You Could Trial Any Breed....

Tollersowned, if you end up in Geelong I might take you up on that
Tollersowned, if you end up in Geelong I might take you up on that

If she ever made it to Perth - I would give him a go too :laugh:

I could swap you Nova for...hmmmmm Blaize Deal or no deal :o

Now you have offers coming out of your ears!

Hey TO - just tell me when and where :eek:. I'd love to 'almost' own a toller :rofl:!

Offers offers offers!!!

:rofl: Mmm Blaize eh? She will be giving you evil looks for giving her to a handler that has no idea!! :rofl:

Off to look at upcoming trials :thumbsup:

LP and Helen, you're on! He is bloody full on, but he has amazing drive and is very fast for his size, just needs a tougher hand and someone who is confident (I am neither with him)

He has ran for other people in flyball so i very much doubt he will have any problem running for someone else.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aussie people and ANKC fanatics will probably shoot me down in flames for this, however, my first choice would be a working border collie, not the big ankc show type and no the isdn type but the type you see on a working property out in the sticks. Not the prettiest dogs' in the world but man talk about drive and devotion!

My second choice would be an aussie becuase they are (the one's I've had/got) are easy to train, want to please and consistant.

One breed/type I would not want trial are gundogs (with the exception of brittany's and tollers). Narmi (I know she's a cross of 2 gundogs) is so smart and learns thing rather quickly and is very willing to please and try hard when first learning but after that the little yellow cow gives me the middle claw and won't even leave the start peg in a trial. I'm just not the right trainer/handler for gundogs I think.

Aussie people and ANKC fanatics will probably shoot me down in flames for this, however, my first choice would be a working border collie, not the big ankc show type and no the isdn type but the type you see on a working property out in the sticks. Not the prettiest dogs' in the world but man talk about drive and devotion!

All the working BC's I know are ANKC registered.

working line Malinois - drive, athleticism, beautiful. May also join Midol with working line Groen.

You don't need working line dogs to obedience trial successfully. You need to be a sympathetic & imaginitive owner who can keep their dog interested :laugh: In recent years there was a Terv in the ACT region who trialled at the highest level & was a state representative at agility. My own Groenendael has the makings of a fantastic obedience dog although I didn't really start her until the age of 3. However we now have maturity on our side which means a steady dog, particularly for the stays! We are also doing herding, so the Belgian Shepherd is a dog that can turn its paw to any task.

However, as to the topic of the thread, I too would like to road test a Brittany :rofl:

I am not sure what breeds I would like to trial. I will probably never go past the Border Collie, they are pretty much everything I want in a dog. I have some other breeds that I would like to own one day...a saluki, an afghan, a whippet, I always wanted a boxer, I would like to try a kelpie one day, and a papillon, and a JRT, and a Brittany. Hmmmm, I think I have nearly covered each group.

...and no the isdn type but the type you see on a working property out in the sticks. Not the prettiest dogs' in the world but man talk about drive and devotion!

I am curious to know how many ISDS type BC's you know & what you think the difference between them & the ones out in the sticks is?

I'm guessing either you don't know too many or your are making assumptions about purity.

I am not sure what breeds I would like to trial. I will probably never go past the Border

I'm guessing either you don't know too many or your are making assumptions about purity.

Most are Sporting? registered around here via the ISDS. All herding dogs. A whole bunch of them have come onto the ANKC register recently. I don't think its a coincidence that the BC Nationals is here in Canberra next year.

Type varies widely. One looks like a white kelpie! I suppose I only know half a dozen??

Edited by poodlefan

working line Malinois - drive, athleticism, beautiful. May also join Midol with working line Groen.

You don't need working line dogs to obedience trial successfully. You need to be a sympathetic & imaginitive owner who can keep their dog interested :) In recent years there was a Terv in the ACT region who trialled at the highest level & was a state representative at agility. My own Groenendael has the makings of a fantastic obedience dog although I didn't really start her until the age of 3. However we now have maturity on our side which means a steady dog, particularly for the stays! We are also doing herding, so the Belgian Shepherd is a dog that can turn its paw to any task.

However, as to the topic of the thread, I too would like to road test a Brittany :cheers:

Some of us just prefer working line dogs...

...and no the isdn type but the type you see on a working property out in the sticks. Not the prettiest dogs' in the world but man talk about drive and devotion!

I am curious to know how many ISDS type BC's you know & what you think the difference between them & the ones out in the sticks is?

Sorry Vickie, should have explained myself a little better :( I know a few isds bc's (oops for getting the registry wrong) and have seen them in action in agility, fantastic to watch (I haven't seen any competing in obedience, tracking or herding down here in Vic) but the dogs out in the sticks on the local sheep and dairy farms that I was refering to and that I've seen and admired working have a lot shorter coat, like a smooth coat. Also should add on my list of likes is the Huntaway - apologies if I've spelt wrong.

edited: casue I didn't see PF's other post referring to the dog's know are on sporting register.

Edited by Silvawilow

Well Labs are my fave breed and so will always own at least one but here are the ones id love-Aussies, becasue I avsolutly fell in love with them when Dusty was a puppy and I love the was shes turned out, Standard poodles becasue they move so gracefully they always look so perfect, border collies becasue of how smart they are.