If You Could Trial Any Breed....

Then I'd make every obedience judge trial a little dog so they could realise that giving your signals in front of the dog is not "exaggerating" them when the dog is below your knee height and you have to stoop to do it.

Off soapbox now. ;)

I understand your beef - I have a friend whose sheltie works a little wide - we think its because she has big breasts and the dog can't see her face.

HOWEVER - having trialed in Qld, VIC and SA in the last 12 months I have to say there are a lot of people trialling who use exaggerated signals. I am not sure if they have watched others trialling and have just copied, or really do think that their dogs need a stand signal with the left hand that sweeps across the owners body and as far over to their left hand side that their arm will reach - oh and turning the shoulder will allow for another couple of inches. :D When I first attended dog classes 12 years ago - this was how I was shown to give a stand signal.

When people send me clips to watch - its usually one of the first things I comment on.........isn't it.......(names withheld LOL)

I agree Ptolomy.. the length of the signal in particular is often an issue. However I think that if a larger dog can have its signals at eye level, why not the smaller.. within reason. Yes, you can train the small dog to look up but its not as natural a performance.

The other issue with a smaller dog is that any deviation from the ideal heeling position is far more obvious than with a larger one. 6 inches out on a dog that's 12 inches long stands out far more than on a dog twice that big.

Footwork is what can send a small dog wide too.. they do it to avoid being trodden on sometimes. Neater footwork can help.

Edited by poodlefan

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something I didn't have to bend to signal would be nice.

Then I'd make every obedience judge trial a little dog so they could realise that giving your signals in front of the dog is not "exaggerating" them when the dog is below your knee height and you have to stoop to do it.

Off soapbox now. ;)

PF - I'll lend you Faxon if you want to trial a bigger dog. :rofl:

As to the original question anything would be easy after getting an Afghan through his CCD. :D

Bear.

Something I didn't have to bend to signal would be nice.

Off soapbox now. :rofl:

PF - I'll lend you Faxon if you want to trial a bigger dog. :rofl:

As to the original question anything would be easy after getting an Afghan through his CCD. ;)

Bear.

Oh gee, thanks Bear.. that will test my merits as a trainer! Maybe your new girl might be a better bet - I'll start her nice and young. :D

Oh gee, thanks Bear.. that will test my merits as a trainer! Maybe your new girl might be a better bet - I'll start her nice and young. ;)

I wouldn't count on that. She definitely has a mind of her own - a proper little madam when she wants. :D

Has anybody ever been lucky enough to work somebody elses obedience dog at training or a trial and if so has this influenced your decision for the breed you would like to trial?

I currently run a friends Belgain Shepherd (Groenendael) in Strategic Pairs agility while her owner runs her Briard as the pair. I have also run a Tervueren in agility a couple of times. If I was to ever get a working breed, a Belgian Shepherd would definitely be my choice, I just love running them.

Dobermann Of Course - What Else Is There ?????

There is nothing better than a happy working Dobe. My young girl earnt 10 titles in 6 different disciplines this year - she is 3 next week. What more could you want.

Though I wouldn't mind getting my hands on my sisters Welsh Springers in the obedience ring. Fabulous little dogs they are - pity she's moved interstate.

B

When people send me clips to watch - its usually one of the first things I comment on.........isn't it.......(names withheld LOL)

I have NO idea what you are talking about.... :thumbsup::laugh:

PF - I too understand your grief - I do think that there are many difficulties with trialling a *small* dog - but all those gripes that you mentioned, IMHO I think that they will also be seen on larger dogs too... a close heeling dog coming out of position will be just as obvious etc, etc.

A neat handler can't be mistaken whether they handle a dog small or large. Likewise a good dog will always be a good dog irrespective of size :thumbsup:

Edited by leopuppy04

I guess my next would be a BC, Toller or Golden, but that's only because they are my next favourite breeds. Nothing beats a happy working Goldie - they have such a charm about them.

To be honest, whatever breed happened to land on my doorstep, I would LOVE to trial as I think you learn from any experience no matter how good or bad they are......

Ohh don't say that or Nova may very well end up on your doorstep!!! :thumbsup:

Actually when i get back to Victoria, i would love for someone to give him a go.........i am just not confident enough with him in the ring and he is an amazing little full on worker :laugh:

Agility or obedience LP, take your pick!! :thumbsup:

Edited by tollersowned

Tollersowned, if you end up in Geelong I might take you up on that

If she ever made it to Perth - I would give him a go too :love:

I could swap you Nova for...hmmmmm Blaize Deal or no deal :rofl:

Now you have offers coming out of your ears!

Has anybody ever been lucky enough to work somebody elses obedience dog at training or a trial and if so has this influenced your decision for the breed you would like to trial?

I currently run a friends Belgain Shepherd (Groenendael) in Strategic Pairs agility while her owner runs her Briard as the pair. I have also run a Tervueren in agility a couple of times. If I was to ever get a working breed, a Belgian Shepherd would definitely be my choice, I just love running them.

I have run FHRP's Flynn in agility and also a BC and a Kelpie. I also obedience trained another friends Standard Poodle for a while.

Going from a handling a mini poodle to a Vizsla in agility is like going from Vespa to a Semi Trailer. :rofl: They sure corner differently.

Flynn's a classic.. when I wasn't fast enough with my cues, he'd make up his own course and tell me how woeful my handling was the whole way round.

I'm not handling Polo in agility in anything less than full ice hockey goalie padding.. and a cage. :love:

Edited by poodlefan

I have run FHRP's Flynn in agility and also a BC and a Kelpie. I also obedience trained another friends Standard Poodle for a while.

Going from a handling a mini poodle to a Vizsla in agility is like going from Vespa to a Semi Trailer. :rofl: They sure corner differently.

Flynn's a classic.. when I wasn't fast enough with my cues, he'd make up his own course and tell me how woeful my handling was the whole way round.

I'm not handling Polo in agility in anything less than full ice hockey goalie padding.. and a cage. :rofl:

You try the difference form handling a Kelpie in agility to a GSD :love:

To be fair though, Diesel is MUCH better at obedience stuff such as heeling and getting close fronts.

Dobermann Of Course - What Else Is There ?????

There is nothing better than a happy working Dobe. My young girl earnt 10 titles in 6 different disciplines this year - she is 3 next week. What more could you want.

Though I wouldn't mind getting my hands on my sisters Welsh Springers in the obedience ring. Fabulous little dogs they are - pity she's moved interstate.

B

I grew up with Welshies in the UK and love them. Just wish I had known then about all the things you could do with them. Ours were just pets. They are quite wilful tho, our first bitch, Sian used to give you that look of I know you want me to come, but this bird/noise in the gorse is more interesting!! :love:

I'd love to trial an Italian Spinone in Retrieving or/and Field trials.

Well, what's stopping you? :laugh: Go and get another one :eek::banghead:

I've never trialled anything in my life, but certainly know lots of people who do. Owing to business and child commitments, I've just never had the time, money etc. to do it, or been able to travel away from home for a night etc., OH has mostly worked away a lot.

But, I would love to do tracking, field, retrieving etc. with my spinone, she is a fantastic retriever with an extremely soft mouth and drops the item retrieved into your hand EVERY time, never plays up etc. so reliable, she's wasted :rofl: on me really. And she'll go anywhere, through any landscape, water etc to retrieve without even thinking. Nothing puts her off.

For agility I'd love to use my viz, she's great, but if I make a mistake, she really lets me know :rolleyes: and I do make a few! I have a dyslexic problem with left and right, which was great fun for my driving instructor years ago :swear: