What's Your Style?

rocco

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the great outdoors - the camera/lens is an extension of my eyes.

I am not a real fan of the fads and fashions of digital manipulation.

Not for my own work anyway.

Nature I prefer to keep as natural as possible - unless its for a special

design/art project.

I am not really into people/portrait photography, I rarely even take

happy snaps at family functions (isn't that what mobile phones are for??).

I like to dabble, and I like to diversify - from sunkissed landscapes to

tiny bugs, and show dogs to cream cakes. I love it all. I am like a kid

in a lolly shop when I have a camera in my hand.

I like shooting people and my prefered style is photojournalistic.

My partner prefers an editorial/fashion style when shooting so our mix of styles works well together. He sets them up and poses people/brides/couples the way he wants and I shuffle around the outside being the unobtrusive second shooter and just keep a watch for 'those' moments to capture the images that I like. :D

I love my 50mm 1.4 which is great when I can get in close and I am doing one on one stuff. A handy little all-rounder is the 28-135. Not the best quality but it still gives some good results. My next lens will likely be the Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro.

What is "your style" of photography? What do you like to achieve, interest you and why?

What is the lens that most suits your style or you like to use the most?

Lord how I envy the people here who know the style they have or aspire to have. Must be because I'm the oldest here, I'm one of the sixties hippies and haven't found myself yet.

I think the PJ attitude fits me best, but that's generalising. I won't call a candid shot of a person through a telephoto lens a portrait: that is photojournalism. Portrait to me is planned and something I'd like to do more of both people and animals: and my two favourite lenses here are the 85mm 1.8, and the 150mm 2.8 both primes. And I think 50-55 are lovely portrait lenses but I don't have a prime and don't like using zooms for portrait.

Action is high on my list, and at present I'm back doing some harness horse events and loving it. For which I would love the $2,500 odd for a 70-200 2.8 stabilised. But manage with less fantastic zoom lenses and use a monopod or tripod for stability and (try to) work within the limitations of 'ordinary' lenses.

Landscape I love, and would like maybe the Sigma 10-20 for some wide work. But again even the much-maligned kit lenses in the 18-70 range can make lovely landscapes assisted by a tripod and patience.

I'm still in the flower and insect fan-club. I think my partial background in horticulture influences this, and again have more of a PJ approach. So the 150 Macro lens is handy here as well as for portraits (and for pin-sharp bird shots when they are close enough).

Machinery is great: think I was infuenced here years ago by the artist David Shepherd, most famous for his African wild-life paintings, but also does wonderful steam engine and farm machinery painting. And living alongside working steam engines, I can play with close-ups of steam and crankshafts and pulleys, all the small peripheral steam railway stuff. Hint, use your cheapest and least loved lens and gladwrap the camera for this: the soot in the air plays hell with them.

The recent severe limitations on photography (thanks Henson, may you...no no I don't mean that, - actually yes I do) are making life a bit of a hell for people doing the candids at events. Even to be seen with a camera within fifty meters of children has someone casting suspicious looks. So photography at a horse or dog show even as an official photographer is now a minefield of asking permission. Everybody loses: the photographers who just don't take the shot because it's all too fraught with difficulties, and the parents of kids who have just won their first ribbon with the pony and don't get a good record of it.

Style though: I don't know. I think I try to be flexible or a chameleon, and change my style depending on what I'm shooting. And most of it doesn't reach a website or get printed and I don't do photography competitions. So I have a mass of images backed up and will decide what to do with them one day when I find myself.

Flicking through a favourite mag, 'Outdoor Photography' I really love the 'look' of large format film cameras shot with Velvia slide film. David Norton and Joe Cornish take amazing images.

Their work here:

David Norton's landscapes and wildlife

http://www.dnphotography.com/main.htm

and Joe Cornish

http://www.joecornish.com/

I love landscape images with no humans in them, taken at dawn with dew or mist in some gorgeous spot. They just evoke an image that is pleasing to my brain. :D

I don't like over saturated images where people crank up the saturation slider or oversharpened shots. A bit of editing is fine but I prefer a shot to look more as I saw it. Just a personal opinion.

With portraits and wedding photography, however, getting rid of blemishes, vignettes, b/w conversions, dodge and burning can all look wonderful with image editing software.

Not into photographing humans and friends keep nagging me to shoot their kids but I'm really not intereste. I don't mind taking shots of dogs and I love taking photos of wild birds, something I'm trying to practise with, but with only a 200mm lens, this is limited to wild birds who are more approachable such as parrots and a few shore birds.

I started 'photography' 1 week ago. Sure, I have taken millions of photos in my life, but one week ago I switched my OH's DSLR off 'auto' and began to learn what all the letters and numbers mean. So, I think it's a little early to say that I have a style!!!!! Actually experimentation is probably what you'd call it!!

The recent severe limitations on photography (thanks Henson, may you...no no I don't mean that, - actually yes I do) are making life a bit of a hell for people doing the candids at events. Even to be seen with a camera within fifty meters of children has someone casting suspicious looks. So photography at a horse or dog show even as an official photographer is now a minefield of asking permission. Everybody loses: the photographers who just don't take the shot because it's all too fraught with difficulties, and the parents of kids who have just won their first ribbon with the pony and don't get a good record of it.

S

wow pc havent noticed anything like that here. still plenty of 'unknowns' with big cameras turning up and snapping away at the events here.

Thanking you for all your interesting post. Sure is a insight into peoples minds of photography.

I have to admit I have no interest in landscape, scenery, flowers or insects sort of stuff, but appreciate a good photo. I went out once attempting to shoot some flowers at a beautiful garden and just couldn't get into it. :eek:

I guess that is the great thing about photography just like all the different dogs breeds, we all have our "flavour" and what a boring world it would be if we all liked and did the same thing.

Brilliant guys. :rofl:

Possums corner. Would you mind sharing some of your work you have got with your 85mm 1.4? Pretty please. :laugh: I am hoping this to be my next lens.

Edited by Rocco1

I have to admit I have no interest in landscape, scenery, flowers or insects sort of stuff, but appreciate a good photo. I went out once attempting to shoot some flowers at a beautiful garden and just couldn't get into it. :rofl:

I know what you mean, I felt the same when I was taking these pics! Just not my thang!

i love Macro too... love eyes in a shot.. but i love working on movig shots.. action shots.. also i like to experiment with angles and horizons... yet to get my SLR so once i do it might be different!

but i'm still learning.. i do enjoy different styles tho.

Snap! I bought LaChapelle Land when I was in college and had huge aspirations to take pics like his!

ETA I'll see if I have any of my studio stuff here to show you, might have left it in Ireland though. I loved setting up scenes and getting models and makeup artists in. Fun times!

Edited by ruthless

Apparently he's done heaps!

His directing work includes commercials for clients such as Burger King, and music videos for artists including Moby, Elton John, Mariah Carey, Jennifer Lopez, Whitney Houston, Christina Aguilera, Macy Gray, Blink 182, No Doubt, Da Brat & Ludacris, Britney Spears, Joss Stone, Norah Jones, Usher, Gwen Stefani, and Hilary Duff. He also designed and directed Elton John's Las Vegas Show "The Red Piano." He has won numerous awards for his photography and music videos including the Eisies, MTV Europe Music Awards, VH-1 Fashion Awards, MVPA Awards, Sundance Film Festival, and the Aspen Film Festival.
Edited by ruthless

What a great thread!

I don't have a particular style yet as I am constantly evolving (or some days de-evolving). When I shoot for a client, my style is what I believe will make them happy ... it isn't about me. They have hired me because of what they have seen and although some of my work may have a common thread, each time I do a client shoot, I try new things, too.

When I shoot for fun, it's all about me and right now I'm just trying everything and everything some more!

I don't have a particular style yet as I am constantly evolving

You might be surprised. A friend of mine says the same thing and yet I can always pick her photos out of a big bunch of others. She does have a definite style (not only of taking the photos but also in processing them) and it comes through whether it's portrait, landscape, still life etc.