50mm 1.4 Or 1.8 Post Your Pics Here!

Kirislin

Gorgeous doggy photos and I love the lighting on anniek's onion shot. :)

thanks - no tweaking involved in that one :)

wooden chopping board and timber benches in the background with the 1600 ISO "orangy" light it produces with the kitchen downlights :o

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh snap Winpara! That last photo looks like a shot I took of Zero the other night! He just needs to be looking at the camera!

4264997849_78af47cfb8.jpg

I personally prefer profile shots on the whole :o Really beautiful photo of him. Actually, if you don't mind my saying, I'd just crop a little off the left side.

Edited by iltby

BTW, if anyone's interested in a site from the US for purchasing more expensive lenses the instructor from the photography course I did (who's also a professional photographer and a judge for the Australian Photographic Society) said he highly recommends B&H Photos and purchases from them all the time for much less than buying lenses here and has never had a problem with them. I had a look at their Canon 50mm 1.4 and it's $374.95 US which converts to around $406 AUS plus postage. Here's a link to the site http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

I am going crazy on this site now ading to my wish list and then making a choice.....free delivery in US and only a little bit for next day delivery, since OH is on his way to US now I could get it sent to his work and he can bring it back :-) I am opting for the USA ones though not the imports, am I correct in that the USA ones can be fixed under warranty anywhere in the world but the imported ones (grey) have to be sent back to BH?

Canon 1.8 is $99

canon 1.4 is $349

I am going crazy on this site now ading to my wish list and then making a choice.....free delivery in US and only a little bit for next day delivery, since OH is on his way to US now I could get it sent to his work and he can bring it back :-) I am opting for the USA ones though not the imports, am I correct in that the USA ones can be fixed under warranty anywhere in the world but the imported ones (grey) have to be sent back to BH?

Canon 1.8 is $99

canon 1.4 is $349

From what I've been told, all canon lenses have an international warranty, camera bodies have only a national warranty which I think means you would have to send it back to BH for repair. The colour of the lens shouldn't matter - in fact both the canon 50mm 1.4 and 1.8 are black (I've owned both - the 1.8 was not imported, the 1.4 was and looks exactly like the 1.4 you would buy here). The grey lenses are usually the L series lenses and they definitely have an international warranty - a friend bought her 70-200mm 2.8L IS lens in hong kong and had it fixed by canon in Sydney.

Edited by ~*Shell*~

So if you had the choice of purchasing the Canon 50mm 1.8 and the 580ex or just the Canon 50mm 1.4 which would you choose?

Ok at the beginning of Fenruary OH will be bringing home for me Canon 50mm 1.8, lens case, filter for lens, and the new 580EX II (which will come with batteries and charger and a flash hood thingy) all for 600Aus :-) I am happy now. It would have been $50 less but OH forgot to put the order and the rebate finished on the 16th, oh well.

Edited by PooMother

So if you had the choice of purchasing the Canon 50mm 1.8 and the 580ex or just the Canon 50mm 1.4 which would you choose?

Ok at the beginning of Fenruary OH will be bringing home for me Canon 50mm 1.8, lens case, filter for lens, and the new 580EX II (which will come with batteries and charger and a flash hood thingy) all for 600Aus :-) I am happy now. It would have been $50 less but OH forgot to put the order and the rebate finished on the 16th, oh well.

I have had all three and I think you should go with whatever you will use more. I love my 1.4 but I also love my flash (the hood thingy you're getting would be the diffuser?)! I probably use the 1.4 more but I think having the 1.8 and the 580EX will give you a better range. You can always upgrade to the 1.4 later on down the track - I managed to get my 1.4 for about $450 (then I bought the lens hood for it which was about $50) but my flash on it's own was $470.

That being said - the 1.4 works incredibly well in low light! This was taken with only the normal lights you would find on a sports field - not the best shooting conditions!

4166167458_81d24c096b.jpg

1/250, f/1.4, ISO 800

I have had all three and I think you should go with whatever you will use more. I love my 1.4 but I also love my flash (the hood thingy you're getting would be the diffuser?)! I probably use the 1.4 more but I think having the 1.8 and the 580EX will give you a better range. You can always upgrade to the 1.4 later on down the track - I managed to get my 1.4 for about $450 (then I bought the lens hood for it which was about $50) but my flash on it's own was $470.

That being said - the 1.4 works incredibly well in low light! This was taken with only the normal lights you would find on a sports field - not the best shooting conditions!

4166167458_81d24c096b.jpg

1/250, f/1.4, ISO 800

Thanks Shell. Ended up getting the 1.8 plus the 580 flash with the diffuser thing, also got a few other bits aswell, cant wait for it to be on my camera

Tried some light paintings last night. Poor Spencer...I was fiddling with the camera, turning the light on and off, and shining a torch on his face while he was trying to sleep! Pretty happy with the result though, this was the very last shot!

Peace.jpg

f/8, 30 sec, ISO 200