50mm 1.4 Or 1.8 Post Your Pics Here!

Kirislin

The Canon 50mm 1.4 has a reputation of auto focus failure and I had it happen to mine. Luckily although about 6 weeks out of warranty Canon fixed it at no charge, after a bit of too-ing and fro-ing of emails. Phew!

really? I thought that was the issue with the 1.8?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But I am looking to buy myself either a 1.4 or a 1.8. From what I've seen, the 1.4 is dominating this thread, however... As a starter should I go for the better or the lesser lens? Money doesn't worry me, I've got savings!!

I like the "cheap & nasty" 1.8 - it is my beach lens, and I don't worry about it getting sand blasted! If it was more expensive I might be a bit more careful with it, and not use it so much.

sIMG_4807.jpg

2-13.jpg

IMG_4232.jpg

g.jpg

IMG_2832-1.jpg

I bought a lensbaby lens which is equivalent to a 50mm with a sweet spot of focus. Normally I would take photos on my DSLR in auto mode only (with auto focus) but this lens needs to be completely manual for everything (including manually changing the f stop with discs that are kind of magnetic that you slip in and out of the front of the lens.

thought i would share some pics i took when i went down bayside way earlier this year. still very much not used to this lens, or manual, or what i'm even doing, so they're not as good as they could be, but i'm getting better. this series are the better ones i've taken so far :laugh:

lensbaby website my lens is the composer, and i haven't bought any of the other additional things for it yet.

post-2120-1284115076_thumb.jpg

post-2120-1284115092_thumb.jpg