Does Anyone Feed Tongue To Their Dogs?

Mmmmm, must ask my dog meat man. I have just enquired about green tripe and am going to order some when I put my next order in. They say it is brilliant for dogs. I must admit, I think both tongues and tripe are rather yukky.

Mmmmm, must ask my dog meat man. I have just enquired about green tripe and am going to order some when I put my next order in. They say it is brilliant for dogs. I must admit, I think both tongues and tripe are rather yukky.

I'd love to be able to get hold of some green tripe. I've heard that by law it has to be bleached :D Here's an article on the benefits of Green Tripe

I'd love to be able to get hold of some green tripe. I've heard that by law it has to be bleached :thumbsup: Here's an article on the benefits of Green Tripe

Ring abbatoirs and knackeries. They might be able to do some green tripe for you. Where I am going to get it from, they are going to mince it for me.

Just read that article, I am definately going to get some. Thanks for that and good luck in your quest for green tripe.

Edited by laneka

Dog's don't get the chance, eat 'em myself. Um Um Um!!!!!!!

A while ago I did get the contents of someone's freezer which had been in a power outage and that included a couple of beef tongues which the dogs liked very much. Just a muscle meat like rump or shin or any other muscle. Little dogs might need the skin slit for them.

• 2 years later...

Hi Laneka, I notice you're in Victoria. I have been trying to get green tripe for for my sick girl for ages and can't find it anywhere. Whereabouts do you source yours from please?

I'd love to be able to get hold of some green tripe. I've heard that by law it has to be bleached :thumbsup: Here's an article on the benefits of Green Tripe

Ring abbatoirs and knackeries. They might be able to do some green tripe for you. Where I am going to get it from, they are going to mince it for me.

Just read that article, I am definately going to get some. Thanks for that and good luck in your quest for green tripe.

Edited by Fluffy Butts

I got some sheep tongues with Orbit's last meat order and he turned his nose up at it! I snuck a couple into his mince mix though and he's eaten them, but as yet won't eat them on their own.

They were only $1 for a 1kg packet and I've still got about 3 full ones left if anyone in Sydney wants them to try for their dogs??

We send our own organic cattle off to the abbatroir to be butchered & I have always asked for ALL the offal to be returned....tongue, liver, kidneys, heart etc, but I have to BUY it back off them. I think there is something wrong there :mad ....having to buy back pieces of my own beast...have never done it as I am sure I wouldn't get my own organic offal back !!!! :(

We send our own organic cattle off to the abbatroir to be butchered & I have always asked for ALL the offal to be returned....tongue, liver, kidneys, heart etc, but I have to BUY it back off them. I think there is something wrong there :mad ....having to buy back pieces of my own beast...have never done it as I am sure I wouldn't get my own organic offal back !!!! :(

Have you looked into getting a travelling butcher to process your animals? Might be more cost effective too? There are a few up here they seem to do a good job.

I would love them - I have not been able to get any from my butchers even the ones that bone their own meat.

Where are you tho'??

Meea

Think this was for me?

Riverstone area or Pennant Hills

Dog's don't get the chance, eat 'em myself. Um Um Um!!!!!!!

My sister loves them. She boils them up and slices it for sandwich meat (note to self dont accept a "ham" sandwhich off her next time I visit)

What about pigs trotters? Anyone feed them? I noticed my butcher selling them quite cheaply.

I haven't tried tongues for my (very sensitive to just about everything) dog. I would imagine that if your dog is sensitive to "beef protein" (inconclusive, at this stage) then that would count for the offal/tongue as well?

I'd love to feed the tongue as a "boneless bone". Because of digestive issues, I've been unable to feed him bone and I could with an extra hand in keeping his teeth clean.

Is there an advantage (especially to sensitive tummies) between the beef or lamb tongues? Is one (in general) better than another?

If I were to get a beef tongue, I think I'd be asking my butcher to cut it - don't think MY sensitive tummy would cope with doing it myself. :vomit:

Edited by Erny

What about pigs trotters? Anyone feed them? I noticed my butcher selling them quite cheaply.

Mine love pig trotters. But not for the sensitive stomach as they're quite fatty and lots of softer bone/gristle which they can chew and swallow easily but perhaps not digest so well. And being pork it can be hard for some to digest anyway. Pigs heads are great too - mine just leave the jaw and the row of teeth - not a nice thing to stand on!

I agree with Sandra777. I tried pig trotters for my (now proven, very sensitive) boy a long while back. It proved to be the absolute wrong thing to do. Suits me anyway. They give me the heebies. Mind you, so would tongue. <sigh> .... but we do what we do for dog's sake, don't we? Lol.

Edited by Erny