Bunnings Wire Compost Bins As A Puppy Pen Big Thumbs Up

NTC

I was stoked to read the post about these pens too. That is until the first five minutes our pup spent in there. We look over and shes half over the top! :( We have tried so many different barriers to her getting out, vinyl, bamboo, fabric, towels, but she figures it out every time. Often happens in the morning. We hear a "THUMP" and next thing shes in our room.

Im so glad you all have had a better time with them :laugh:

Buy another and do what I did....use the panels to make a lid!

Ellz, I have considered this but wasnt sure how to secure it well enough so it doesnt fall off but that I can get in easy enough. How did you do it?

I used a row of cable ties along the front and back, with large trojan clips at the sides and holding the join in the middle. It just kind of made it into a fairly solid "cube" of pen panels. Taking apart is easy, the panels just fold into each other and sit flat.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had an old baby playpen that I converted, then bought some plastic lattice that has small holes so puppy cant get its face caught in and then I put it around the pen. It works really well :love: and only cost me $20 for the lattice.

Maree

I had an old baby playpen that I converted, then bought some plastic lattice that has small holes so puppy cant get its face caught in and then I put it around the pen. It works really well :love: and only cost me $20 for the lattice.

Maree

Be VERY VERY careful of this setup. I used the same for many years with no problems until one day a puppy got it's toes caught in the plastic mesh and literally sliced one off.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the Bunnings compost bin too. We used ours as a sleep pen. When Ruby was toilet training she used to sleep in there at night. We only had the one and it was a perfect size to fit her bed.

100_3713.jpg

We've also bought a kids play tunnel from Bunnings for $20. They're kept in the kids outdoor & playground section, where you buy bits and pieces to build cubby houses etc. It has a caterpillar head on one end and caterpillar legs down the side. It's great to use at home for training when we're not at obedience :)

100_3702.jpg

We used mesh to make a pen for our last litter but 1 pup worked out how to climb out then she showed another girl how to do it. It didn't matter how high the sides were she would climb out as soon as she was put back in. Will have to work out something differant for the next litter.

We were going to keep a pup from that litter but couldn't decide between the 3 girls so we ended up keeping both of the adventurous girls. Now one of them worked out how to climb over a 5' chainwire fence at 4 months.

The trouble makers "Bad & Badder"

cocomilo10-1-09050.jpg

I ahve bought several, from different Bunnings stores and they have stocked them in both the pet section and garden/compost bin section :thumbsup: Love them- make great pens to section off bits of yard in an attempt to grow grass or to protect plants etc.

We also used them as puppy pens with great success.

Which section in bunnings can I find these?? gardening?? or.. ?

Carla, we got ours from the gardening section. Not the nursery where the plants are but in the section that has the gardening equipment. It's called a compost bin. Are you planning on using one for your puppy? If you get two, you can join them together and make a big playpen but one is a nice size for a sleeping area. I think two would be good for more than one puppy :laugh: They make a really good play pen for when you can't always supervise them :)

ETA: They only cost $20 for one pen (4 panels) so super cheap! :laugh:

Edited by ~Aimee~

I found them the first time in the inside garden section, but if you can't find them, don't forget to ask, I asked the second time and my local bunnings rung around a couple of close stores to see if they had any and they held them for me, they were also happy to tell me if they had ordered any more and when the next lot would be in :)

Ok this is a silly question :(

How do you get those spiral attachments on!?!?! I can't do it :o

am I silly or what?!!?

Hmm you slot the end part of the spiral in and then you twist and twist and twist. It will then go on but it does fall off down though so you need something (I used thick tape) to stop it from sliding down

Gone up to $26 in my local Bunnings. I think they are on to us!

Yep, same deal at my local bunnings - now $26. :(

LP - You are not silly. I don't worry about those stupid spiral things, they are useless and a pain to put on, IMHO. I use cable ties to hold the sides together, so much quicker and easier. :o

I paid $23 when I got my latest ones a few weeks back so I think it was probably in the offing. The price of metal and supplies has risen dramatically all over so that's probably where the increase comes from.

Cable ties are still cheap though....I got 200 for $3 and we ALL know how handy cable ties can be! :D