Cutting Down To 1 Meal A Day

CharlieBrown

My 3 all get 2 meals a day (they are 4.5, 2.5 and nearly 1). They get dry food in the morning and raw at night. Occasionally I skip their breakfast but on the whole they are fed twice a day.

I don't see anything wrong with continuing with twice a day if you are happy to do so.

Edited by CBL

i feed one of mine once a day, the other twice.

I found feeding Atlas 2 times caused him to be up and down all night going to the toilet (inside dogs, so a total pain) Kaos is a skinny cow who needs more food, so i give her a cup of food at night or a bone or something to help keep her weight on

I was feeding my dog once a day and he started vomiting bile in the middle of the night. My vet told me some dogs need food twice a day so their gastric juices always have something to work on. I gave him a bigger meal of wet food in the morning and then left out a small amount of dry food during the day which he normally ate once we got home in the evening.

They usually can go to 1 meal a day at 1 y/o. Tilba used to always let me know if I was late with her breakfast but when she turned 1 y/o she stopped doing that 90% of the time. Because she's so thin I mostly still feed her twice a day.

I feed both mine (13 months and 16 months) 2 meals a day and would continue to do so. I was told by the vet that giving two small meals a day instead of one large meal reduces the chances of bloat.

I've also heard this.

Edited by luvsdogs

I feed two meals a day - I prefer to feed 2 smaller meals instead of one large one.

Ive heard some people say their dogs do better on one meal (basically they refuse or just pick at the second meal) and some say their dogs do better on 2. Mine definately seem to do better on 2, so I just keep it that way :laugh:

I cut mine down to one meal a day but Dusty developed a weight problem and the vet suggested giving her two meals......a small breakfast to get her metabolism moving and a larger evening meal. So now they have a chicken drumstick each for brekkie, then their normal meal of raw meat or kibble in the evenings.

Works well, Dusty is now slim and they're both happy with the arrangement.

I've always fed two meals a day, it is much easier to regulate their weight then with just one. The Rotty gets more twice a day and he's not hungry, one meal a day and he's literally acting like he's starving.

Plus large/giant breeds have less risk of bloat, and they dont expect huge meals.

Most pups of that age need 2 meals per day

The time to change to one is when he is ignoring, or only nibbling at one of his meals. If he never does that continue giving him 2 meals a day.

That is how you decide when to reduce from 4 and from 3 etc - when there is a meal they basically dont eat, and that's the one you drop.

Let them tell you when they don't need it any more.