Good Dry Food Brand?

!Kristen!

We used to use chum for our dogs but i think that its time for a change. I have heard so many different things about so many different dry foods that im really confused. Does any one use Eukanuaba (spelling?) ? I have a fealling that chum sint very good for the dogs. They have been loosing a lot of weight since we switched to chum. Any info would be apreciated

cheers

kristen

Chum is not good, but then I don't believe in giving any of the "wet" dog food. For dry food, a few people recommend Purina Bonnie, esp. for collies.

Nat

Personally I like Royal Canin best but is difficult and expensive to get. Atm my dogs are on digger but don't really like it but is very cheap and no additives ($23/20kg). I probably change to Purina One as soon as I finished the back, their coat was a lot better on that.

Hi, I would definitely get Chanel off the Chum and this may solve the "stuck poo" issue as well as not much nutrition for her in it.

Our Collies have always been fed either Pedigree Advance Dry Food or Hill's Science Diet.Plus they get chicken necks regularly .

But remember when changing over do it over a few days or you will really have gut issues then.

Hi Kristen,

Like everyone else has already advised - get your dogs off the Chum.

As for what a better brand of dog food would be - you've been given some good advice already and i suppose your decision will come down to:

1 - How much you're prepared to spend on their kibble

2 - What you have available in your area [i know allll about this - im still trying to find a stockist for Innova around where i live... *grrr*]

There are so many different brands out there and what it comes down to is each individual dog. Some dogs have allergies to corn and maize and most of the wheat products which form a great part of the kibble and some dogs have reactions to the meat and animal products contained in them as well :thumbsup: . Much like barfing your dog - some dogs go great guns on it - others react violently to it. [Daunting isnt it? :thumbsup: ]

Some of the better brands [iMHO] would be - Royal Canin, Innova, Eagle Pack and if you like tinned food - Natures Gift.

I suppose at the end of the day it depends on what you perceive your dogs do best on. Alot of the time people will swear by something like Pal and say "my dogs have always had it and they are great on it". My opinion is that if thats all they feed their dogs how would they know how their dog would be on something betterrr??

I would have to say the reason why there is such a difference in prices between something like [say] Royal Canin or Innova to Supercoat or Optimum is that Royal Canin and Innova [and alot of the more "pricey" brands] have dehydrated meat as the bulk of their food. The other ones contain mostly meals or maizes which obviously make for cheaper dog food.

Corn or maize products arent as bad as what people may think. It still contains many of the amino acids found in meat products but the catch is is that these amino acids are required in larger quantities when you feed them something largely made up of these cereals. Hence why - in the long run [and despite the initial outlay] you will probably end up feeding your dog less of the better food than something average and bought off the shelf in the supermarket.

As a rule - dont feed your dog anything with additives anddddd eyeball the label. When reading the ingredients on a bag note what the first ingredient is because thats what forms the bulk of the product.

Its hard isn't it? Hope i havent confused you. Im sure you will make the right decision for you and your dogs.

Gosh it is confusing........

But I'm convinced that our dog is sensitive to Pedigree dry, she was off it for several days and quite good and displayed good and normal active puppy behaviour.

Hubbie gave her Pedigree bisquits last night and the little bugger was still going strong at 11.30 pm :mad ;)

I have one bag of the stuff left and it's going back to Coles for a refund !

Then I'll scour the town and see if I can get anything at a Stock supplier , if not I'll go for the no preservatives, no colouring dry food (new brand name slips my mind, hey it's early :thumbsup: )

better take her for a swim , I've got pleading eyes looking at me :thumbsup:

My dogs are on Hills Science Diet, and one is on the Prescription Diet due to skin allergies. I'm very happy with Hills, one thing I notice is that my dogs are never ever sick, we see dogs often at the clinic with unexplained tummy upsets - my dogs never have those problems on premium food.

Just my two cents worth...

Mel. :thumbsup:

Guest labshell

I feed my labradors Eukenuba, I have tried a few other dry kibble products, but have found Eukenuba to be really good. They look good, their coats are beautiful, they never get that 'doggy' smell, even if they don't get bathed all that regularly, and their stools are firm and don't have that aweful offensive odour that doggy doo has when fed canned wet food. It is quite expensive, but worth it. I also only give them half the recommended amount, and give them chicken mince, some veges and bones, along with the occasional can of sardines.

I use cobber

about $25 for 20 kg

can be a bit hard to get in melbourne but the local pet shop gets it in for me

the move from darwin to melbourne expected wazza to drop condition and coat but he didnt

and both wazza and now max love it

The advice I've picked up is:

* Check the protien/fat nutrional information, good brands have 20% protein or better.

* Check the ingredients list, meat / meat byproducts should be first on the list

* Check the amount given per day, the smaller the amount, the better the food.

We used to feed Science Diet, but its very expensive and can't afford it at the moment.

We've switched back to Supercoat which in my opinion is the best of the cheaper brands (before getting into the $90+ for a 18kg bag range)

Keep in mind that Supercoat is made in Australia and the premium brands are made overseas.

For instance, Lindt chocolate is an everyday brand in the Europe, but over here its the good stuff :(

I was feeding my dogs a premium dog food for a long time but at $79 for 15 kgs, I was going through a bag every 3 weeks - this just made living difficult - wish it wasn't so, but that's life.

I changed to Supercoat and can't say that I've noticed a difference AT ALL in their condition, maybe they poo a little more, but that's it.

I have also heard of Cobber and have wondered about it as it is very cheap but I've had no problems with Supercoat so will probably just stick with that.

Make sure any dry food you get does not have colours in it. AS this can cause coat problems. Pedigree meaty bites is one. Think also Country Kennel is another, and Delish is another.. (base grade dry foods)

Personally found no real difference in poo consistancey, coat shine and weight between the premium and lower grade dry foods. Its a personal preference really.

With Bonnie (except bonnie lite) be careful as it is made primary from roo meat.. all my dogs hated roo... to buy a 20kg bag... and they don't eat it.. well...

At the moment I am on Supercoat. Tis ok.