Lure Coursing

I wish there were proper trials here. It'd be something I could do with my dogs to earn titles without actually having to put in any work :laugh:

That's pretty insulting for people who have put lure coursing titles on their dogs. Some dogs are naturals, but there's more to it than throwing them on a field, particularly if you care about the dogs' health and wellbeing.

I hope you are not suggesting that Ruthless doesnt care about the health and wellbeing of her dogs when they go lure coursing

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I think Ruthless meant is that she didnt have to TRAIN the dog to chase the lure.

I also go to fun days with my bitch and I feel the same as Ruthless - if there was a title to achieve Id get it easy for my dog - hold it at the start line, let it go and voila she would run like crazy.

As to "work" put in - I get my shoulders ripped of from the sockets pretty much each time when I have to hold my dog in queue, I had a slipped disk once too from another dog pulling. I have to drive there and pay for the privilidge.

That is "work".

So are you saing that the people that have put titles on their dogs had to train the dogs to chase the lure? Im a bit confused here.

In regards to the care for dogs health - I really dont know what you mean and what work would there be involved. Perhaps you can explain it to me please.

Or do you mean they needed physically to prepare the dogs? Ruths and my dogs are in a great physical condition any day of the year so I guess we put work in daily anyway, if this is what you meant.

It's a shame it doesn't happen to humans, would make the olympics heaps funnier. :)

I understand that for marathon runners, sometimes it does. :confused:

Yes, I've seen that and the women who change tampons mid race - yuk! But to get the real effect the runners have to stop and squat - that's where the humour is! :laugh:

MonElite:

Some dogs have to be trained to chase the lure and some have to be trained to chase without interfering with other dogs they are running with. You are also competing with other dogs and, while it varies depending on the ruling body, you have to achieve certain pointscores and placements including firsts (unlike a fun day) so speed and accuracy are also trained. The run is judged by a judge looking for a range of attributes. As an example, here is an explanation from the American Sighthound Field Association, from the link you can also read their rule book.

http://www.asfa.org/coursing.htm

Maggie had a go last weekend for the first time. I really didn't think she would chase the lure at all as she is more of a scent girl.

But she focused on the lure and chased it . By her second go she knew what the lure was and was so excited. So no training there.

I class it as a sport as the dog is judged on focus, time, enthusiasm, follow and agility.

Edited by MTD

I wish there were proper trials here. It'd be something I could do with my dogs to earn titles without actually having to put in any work :confused:

Oh hang on, I just remembered, I hate bringing those screaming, whining, lunging idiots to Lure Coursing!

No you love lure coursing Ruth :)

Top loves lure coursing! And hes just a dumb idiot!

anita - I don't understand how Ruths post was disrespectful to anyone.

I appreciate that people need to train the dogs etc, but I cant see an lack of respect by having a dog that does it naturally and her post saying she could easily get a title.

never mind - fun days are great, I also wish we could have titles in NSW Id try to get one too.

To have a dog to be a champion in the show ring you need a decent dog, doenst mean it will be a BIS winner.

to have a dog very well trained and get a CD title doesnt mean that it will be a place getter at State Trials.

and possibly getting a title on a natural dog isnt disrespectful to anyone.

But out of this convo, leads nowhere.

Edited by MonElite

Woops, sorry, it wasn't meant to be. I didn't think of that. I just meant I think my dogs would be good without me having to put in any work. I'd retract, but you've already quoted me!

Woops. My turn to apologise, I've been arguing with MonElite and totally missed this post from you which my OH pointed out to me just now. If I'd known this was here I would have dropped it.

OK, I'm off to edit :laugh:

Can someone explain how you teach your dog agility and speed when doing lure coursing or is it something the dog naturally learns by themselves?

Naturally. Although, when I took my Boxer "Rocky" (ET OC) entertained us on a few occasions at Lure Coursing in Qld - he actually jumped the divider fence (about 1m high), but was so focused on the lure, he didn't notice it until he was around 30cm from it. He still jumped it with ease though (maybe because he was already partially trained in agility?) even though he was supposed to go around it. :confused: Silly bugger!

He loved it though (with scores from 167 up to 180 out of 200), hence why we kept taking him back. But then he started getting lure wise, and so we decided to give it up for a bit, and then got involved with cat showing, and never got back again before we moved to Victoria. So he will forever be an OC (Open Courser), and won't be a FCh (Field Champion) unless we moved back, and get involved again.

-WithEverythingIAm

As to "work" put in - I get my shoulders ripped of from the sockets pretty much each time when I have to hold my dog in queue

I had this problem too, until I got my dog a new lead, which has a normal handle, and also another handle built in down near the collar. It has a normal clasp, with a swivel, so when my Boxer was going crazy wanting to get out there, no more problems. Lead available in 4' & 6' lengths. I also got a collar to go with it, a quick release collar, but with metal hardware instaid of plastic.

-WithEverythingIAm

My dogs loooooove lure coursing

poor quality vid but you can see they are having a ball, mind you the husky chases the lure and the chi chases the husky :laugh:

There is a club at Warwick meets every month.

From what I was told much of the work involved is to do with fitness training, it's essentially a sprint so ideally you would train for optimum fitness over short distances.

I think of lure coursing as an opportunity for a dog to express its natural prey drive in an intense way. Its fun for the dog and fun to watch. Some dogs are into it, some aren't.

Seeing the chase from the dogs point of view would be great - anyone have "dog-cam" ?

flame_lure_coursing_15jul07.jpg

Ohhh, not really my kind of sport. But everything I read just said release the dogs and let them chase. Seemed like an odd thing to call a sport :laugh:

Dictionary definitions of the word "sport" are like "an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature" - sport is not exclusively of a competitive nature with winners, losers and certificate and ribbons. And since a lot of dogs are born with the required physical skill and prowess, actual training beyond keeping the dog fit and participating in the activity is not needed to meet the requirements of the word "sport". Sport can be "An active pastime; recreation" so I think there is nothing odd about calling lure coursing a sport.

Edited by Hetzer

There is NO interference from other dogs as only one dog is allowed to run at any one time, (unless as with ours they are all family).

Ours all did well and loved the "chase" we havent been since we moved to our "acerage" as we now run a herding facility.

Taken from QLD Lure Coursing website here is what the dogs are judged on.

Enthuasiasm: Lively, single-minded, showing great eagerness and determination in regard to the Lure.

Follow: Chasing the Lure with the intent of taking it while maintaining a path of reasonably close proximity to the lure's course.

Speed: Rapidity in moving, credit goes to the dog that levels out low, stretching and really drives.

Agility: The ability to move quickly and easily, nimbleness in negotiating terrain.... turning without going wide or cutting and breaking stride, co-ordination of movement.

Endurance: Lasting quality, stamina of physical and mental concentration.