Show Ring F A Q

Keshwar

Ok, so i have a new show pup. whats the process for starting to show him when i already have cccq membership and have been showing my other dog. Just can't remember if i need to register the new pup who is from another state with the state i am in.

I don't know a lot, but I will say that my pup came from Tassie and I had to register her with DogsNSW

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, so i have a new show pup. whats the process for starting to show him when i already have cccq membership and have been showing my other dog. Just can't remember if i need to register the new pup who is from another state with the state i am in.

If he's not already been registered into your name, you'll have to fill out the details on the back of the pedigree (breeder should have signed also to allow transfer) and send to CCCQ.

When does the Sydney Royal schedule usually get released? It says October on one part of the site and September in another! :confused:

Schedule and entry forms will be available early November (quoted from the October NSW Gazette).

• 1 month later...

I have a similar question to PM, does Bella need to be registered in my name with DogsSA? She's from NSW. The details are filled out on the back of her pedigree. I find it all rather confusing. :p

On the front of the pedigree who's name is listed?

If it's your breeders name and address, you need to transfer them into your name. If your name is on the front you do not need to transfer her.

I'm guessing my saying the back is filled in that the breeder has signed her over to you, and you just need to transfer with Dogs SA.

Is it ok to ask a judge after judging or when they're on a break, WHY they chose your dog? Or is that considered rude/bad form?

It's not rude, however any question asking should be done once the judge has finished judging for the day.

I have a similar question to PM, does Bella need to be registered in my name with DogsSA? She's from NSW. The details are filled out on the back of her pedigree. I find it all rather confusing. :p

On the front of the pedigree who's name is listed?

If it's your breeders name and address, you need to transfer them into your name. If your name is on the front you do not need to transfer her.

I'm guessing my saying the back is filled in that the breeder has signed her over to you, and you just need to transfer with Dogs SA.

Thanks! :D Shall get onto doing that then.

• 2 months later...
When you receive a challenge certificate what do you do with it?

Keep it somewhere safe.

When they total 100 points (and assuming enough of then have come after the dog has turned twelve months) you will need to provide them and enter all of their details onto a form to have the dog's Champion title issued. And then the Grand Champion when/if you get to 1000 (plus 4 BIG or a BIS).

What if all records and certificates are lost e.g. fire/flood? Does any registry exist where points can be verified? Thanks.

Hi there,

I am new to DOL and want to learn more about showing and my chosen breed. I bought a 5yr old female about 8 months ago just as a pet and companion to my other dog. Recently I have been thinking that I might enjoy showing her as a hobby. I know she has won a few things in the past, so I thought she would be a good dog to start with to hopefully teach me a bit. I really want to contact someone experienced in my area (South west slopes/riverina area) but I'm really nervous about it!! haha. I'm not sure whether to phone or email, and I have no idea what to say. I dont want to say something to put them off helping me or giving advice.

Does anyone have any suggestions with regards to emailing or phoning and what to say? I have been looking on the dogsNSW site for shows in my area that i can go to just to see what is involved, but i'm really keen to spend some time with someone experienced to see what is really involved - grooming, how to handle, etc.

thanks so much! :)

Welcome Rachael! Would the breeder of your dog be able to help? A breeder often knows how to groom and train the breed best. And is she on the main register? You'll also need to be an associate member (at least) of DogsNSW

I'm on Sydney - but hopefully someone in your area can PM you :)

I'm sure she could, but she is from Lisemore area which is up by the QLD/NSW border, and I'm way down almost at the VIC/NSW border. haha. I bought the dog from a 'middle man' so to speak. She bought the dog from the breeder and I bought the dog from her. The dog is on the main register as I understand it as the woman I bought her from bought her with no papers (cheaper for her I guess as she wanted her as a pet) and the breeder originally had her on the main registry. I am buying the papers from the breeder this week. We are just negotiating a price. Confused yet? haha. I find it all a bit confusing so I was hoping that I could find someone kind enought to let me tag along and help them... There ara about 4 or 5 breeders within an hour and a half from where I live, but like I said, I'm super nervous of scaring them off. haha.

Oh and I joined Dogs NSW today! And am looking into joining a few clubs in my area for some support and to learn a bit more!

Just wondering if anyone can give me a tip on how to run in a circle in the ring?

I have read several books and articles and tried them all but when in the show ring my Ridgie just pulls really hard to the exit after the first turn.......not very attractive :o

at home he is fine....eyes on me, gaits nicely etc....in the ring it's just embarrassing....it's like he hates it....and we have NO teamwork?!

I had a problem of Ziva pulling towards the middle. We sorted it by practicing circles, but every so often I would make a turn and little pirouette circle right (circle on the spot). This stopped her from heading for the ring exit! She was doing the same on her triangle as well. Now she waits for my cue to move rather than trying to anticipate.

I had a problem of Ziva pulling towards the middle. We sorted it by practicing circles, but every so often I would make a turn and little pirouette circle right (circle on the spot).

ahhh, I'll try that!! Thanks soooo much :) :thumbsup: :D

Edited to add: Just tried that method....I think with some work and practice it should be a winner. The local park has trees and it's windy so it spooked him a bit....he's 1year....so the second fear period is upon us. He wont even have treats.

thanks again :)

Edited by Diesel's Mate

When you receive a challenge certificate what do you do with it?

Keep it somewhere safe.

When they total 100 points (and assuming enough of then have come after the dog has turned twelve months) you will need to provide them and enter all of their details onto a form to have the dog's Champion title issued. And then the Grand Champion when/if you get to 1000 (plus 4 BIG or a BIS).

What if all records and certificates are lost e.g. fire/flood? Does any registry exist where points can be verified? Thanks.

Short answer is no. BUT, the various state controlling bodies retain marked catalogues and some will allow these to be searched to have wins verified. BUT, some of the controlling bodies are very rigid and will not accept anything except the original challenge certificates so it is necessary to check with them if something should happen to the original awards.

I've just been through this recently myself. All CCs for a dog born and shown briefly in Tasmania were lost and he went to his new home with 63 points that could have potentially been lost. Half an hour spent at the Dogs Tas office with their catalogue collection and they were then able to send an email off to Vicdogs to verify the points. But if the shoe were on the other foot, they (Dogs Tas) would not have accepted a letter from another controlling body. :confused:

I haven't been there, but I did start on. Thursday night at KCC Park 7.30 with Lea Cogley. I was a complete novice and these seasons I found very helpful for e show ring - they tell/ teach you everything you need and results depend on how much time and effort you put in at home. This is also good or socializing our dog which is so important.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been there, but I did start on. Thursday night at KCC Park 7.30 with Lea Cogley. I was a complete novice and these seasons I found very helpful for e show ring - they tell/ teach you everything you need and results depend on how much time and effort you put in at home. This is also good or socializing our dog which is so important.

I agree - I have taken dogs (especially puppies along to Lea at KCC park to help them socialize and provide them with abit of ring training. A great start for beginners. Does anyone know of any other show training/practice groups or classes during the day in the south/east area of Melbourne as I can't go at night any more.

• Troy unpinned this topic