Bloat?

This will more then likely make me sound like an absolute fool but after searching on here I cant really find the answer to my question.

Mistral recently ate his dinner, nothing more then usual raw liver and a cup of dry, he is a nice slow eater and then had a little drink after.

About 20 minuets later he starts up from where he is sleeping and starts trying to vomit but nothing coming up. Knowing this is a first sign of bloat I jump up and check his belly, not hard or bloated, checked his gums, slightly paler then usual but as I watched they became normal again.

The attempting to vomiting stops after about 5 or 6 goes and I listened to his belly, seemingly normal sounds, nothing overly loud or silent, but I am worried as he is a deep chested boy and he had just eaten.

He then starts acting normally and has a little drink and starts to play with me and our other dog for about 10 minuets, wrestling and playing tugg o war. He had another drink and is now sleeping.

My question is would a dog suffering from bloat play? Does this sound like bloat or something else?

I have never had a dog bloat before so I am not sure exactly how he would be acting if this was.

Oh and I gave him some de gass and he has started burping.

Edited by Wolfsong

Glad to hear Mistral's ok.

Would you all suggest that the moment a dog shows any symptoms such as trying to vomit without throwing up anything, he should be rushed to the vet? Even if the dog is playful afterwards? I am extremely worried about bloat since I have two deep chested dogs. I ensure that there is one hour gap between food and exercise and that they eat slowly. 24 hour vet hospitals are at least 40 mins away from my place. So I'd like to ensure that I 'll get them out in time if required.

Also, if a dog is likely to get bloat, how long after meals would it happen?

Glad to hear Mistral's ok.

Would you all suggest that the moment a dog shows any symptoms such as trying to vomit without throwing up anything, he should be rushed to the vet? Even if the dog is playful afterwards? I am extremely worried about bloat since I have two deep chested dogs. I ensure that there is one hour gap between food and exercise and that they eat slowly. 24 hour vet hospitals are at least 40 mins away from my place. So I'd like to ensure that I 'll get them out in time if required.

Also, if a dog is likely to get bloat, how long after meals would it happen?

Well when I spoke to Mistral's vet she was surprised that he was playing so roughly after suspected bloat and when I mentioned that she certainly relaxed. I would still be wary however if you have a bloat prone breed and I will certainly be taking Misty to the vet straight away if this happens again, rather be safe then sorry.

Not exactly a direct answer to your question but these links helped me out, the first one is really good.

http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm

http://www.petalia.com.au/Templates/StoryT...m?Story_No=1648

Odin Genie - If you get concerned it's better to be safe than sorry, I would rather travel 40min for no reason than have a dead dog.

When my boy got bloat I was at a friends house so didn't see the early signs, but was told he was attempting to throw up, was pacing, distressed, and making uncomfortable groans, not the usual Shepherd talk - when I went home to see him (I'd had a phone call ~20min after I'd given him dinner) his belly was swollen and tight..... there was no way he would even attempt to be playful he was in so much pain.

Thanks. The website mentions that dogs should not be allowed to drink before and after meals. Do you follow that? I've always let them have access to water at all times, though I do stop my dogs from drinking too much water after playing.

I have breeds highly prone to bloat & i never remove there water.If you follow a commomsense approach there is no need too.

I personally wouldnt have considered bloat with those signs.Throwing up doesnt equate to bloat & there are other more obvious signs then just your run of the mill throwing up

I allow them to have access to water at all time but I keep an eye on how much they are drinking, Lestat, if not watched, will drink huge amounts after eating :thumbsup:

I have just started soaking the dry food in water so they don't feel like drinking as much after eating. Hopfully it works.

Thanks. The website mentions that dogs should not be allowed to drink before and after meals. Do you follow that? I've always let them have access to water at all times, though I do stop my dogs from drinking too much water after playing.

There is so much contradictory advice/suggestions. When it comes down to it, there really isn't any definite link to the cause of bloat. Save for stress - those that I have witnessed and heard of having suffered the condition have experienced stress in some shape or form. There was one dog that I saw showing the first signs of bloat. He was saved, thank goodness, because of early Veterinary attention. The Vet informed me there was nothing in the dog's stomach save for a bit of water.

Personally, I don't think it is wise to remove access to water. Even if there was some vague link to moisture/dry food as having a bearing to bloat (if we're going to entertain that idea), I would suspect that the occasions when this combo was the culprit would be far less percentage wise than other health complications which could arise due to the absence of water to drink. Not to mention the salt content contained in commercially based foods - the dogs need water available.

I agree with moderating water intake immediately after play, until the dog has settled down and stopped guzzling it as though it would run out tomorrow.

Hey ..... wait a minute. With our recent drought and water restrictions - maybe they know something we're only thinking about. :laugh:

Edited by Erny

Just be careful soaking biscuits.When they over ferment that can be an issue.

Moderately soaked biscuits will swell quicker in the stomach than left.

As arule soak the biscuit you feed & leave for an hour & see how the swell & the texture they take on.Some are like rubber hockey puks

But as erny said every study is different.

All mine are feed on raised stands & always will be .Never had an issue in 25 years.The 2 dogs we have that blaoted but where suffering stressful medical issues.

Thats why you also avoid prednil like the plague it makes them drinks gallons of water :laugh:

I'm going to worry everyday when i leave my girl for work in the mornings. I feed her breaky every morning and she goes or nuts and crazy afterwards it is impossible to get her to calm down. She is left on her own for 8 hours or more of the day so if she was to get this no one would be home to get her to the vet. I had never heard of this until i started reading these posts.

I'm going to worry everyday when i leave my girl for work in the mornings. I feed her breaky every morning and she goes or nuts and crazy afterwards it is impossible to get her to calm down. She is left on her own for 8 hours or more of the day so if she was to get this no one would be home to get her to the vet. I had never heard of this until i started reading these posts.

Can you take your dog for walks in the morning to burn off the energy? That might help them settle down. What breed is your dog?

I feed my dogs quite early in the morning. So they are still sleepy. Usually, after breakfast, they lie down on their beds for cuddles and go back to sleep.

Can you take your dog for walks in the morning to burn off the energy? That might help them settle down. What breed is your dog?

I feed my dogs quite early in the morning. So they are still sleepy. Usually, after breakfast, they lie down on their beds for cuddles and go back to sleep.

I wouldn't have time, as i work full time. I walk her in the afternoons. She is only a small breed dog mini foxie. But she suffers from EPI and i read that can cause bloat.

Plus i have to put water in every meal as she doesn't like to drink on her own, or if she ever does she doesn't drink much... the little bugger!

I also never knew u shouldn't feed a dog b4 or after exercise. I have learnt alot today :)

This is a timely thread - I was reading it at 3am this morning.

Jonty woke up sooking and whining. I thought it was his usual winge and told him to hop up on the bed - he wasn't interested and instead stood next to my side whining. I got up and tried to get him to go back to bed, but all he tried to do was sit on my lap/lean on me. I thought he might want to go to the toilet so went to let him out, but again he just stood there whining. Then he started panting and yawning and looked quite stressed. I finally woke up (was walking around half asleep in pilot mode) and wondered what could be wrong - bloat popped into my head, but do you think I could remember the symptoms at 3am????

I got out every dog-care, breed reference book I own and none of them listed the symptoms, just what it was and that it was bad.

So I turned to google and found some online resources and a 24hr vet. Most talked about attempting to vomit, hunching up and a bloated abdomen. Jonty had none of that, he was just restless and whiny.

I rubbed his tummy for while and he did some terrible farts :thumbsup: then finally we both fell asleep - this process was repeated at 4am :laugh:

This morning he did some runny poos, but was otherwise a wiggly-bum if a little sooky. I didn't feed either dog this morning, and OH was home all day and kept an eye on him for me. He can have a small meal tonight and we'll take it from there.

Anyway, I wonder if we should have a pinned thread in here about bloat, the syptoms, what to do, what breeds it's prevalent in, what to do to prevent it. Perhaps with some linked sites like the first one Wolfsong linked :)