Debarking In Sydney

colcha

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad it has gone so well for you all. ...And how have your neighbours received your efforts? (Asked out of curiousity :laugh: )

We haven't been on speaking terms with them for months so I don't think that they are about to break their silence! At least we no longer live in anticipation that the next knock on the door will be the council ranger or a police officer :thumbsup:

I'm glad things worked out so well for you. I am in agreement, I think that in some circumstances there is definitely a need to have a debarking procedure performed. I know with Darcy he can be a right pain in the butt, but since we've moved house and he has free access to both inside and outside hes fine now. Plus I moved away from my hellish neighbours!!!

Thanks for the information and the support everyone.

I have received several recommendations by PM and have now booked my dog in for surgery next week. Will let you know how it all goes!

Good Luck! I'm glad you got the outcome you were looking for :cry:

Colcha, I totally understand your situation, and the relief you feel when it is done.

Happy to add the vet we used, the Wollongong vet (who actually travels up to a practice in Sydney twice a month).

We have needed to have a couple of dogs done over the years and have never had a problem, all dogs continue to live super happy lives and my stress levels are down too :rofl:

Just curious, does debarking also prevent the dog from making whining/crying noises?

It sure does, its the reason I had my bitch done, constant whining and screaming!!

Ok, thanks - I have always wondered about that :happydance2:

Did your bitch do any whining/crying during the initial recovery period? And if so, did it affect the results of the op?

How did you keep your dog quiet for the 2 weeks after surgery, colcha? This is what worries me with mine. Bird flies over - barks his head off.

In short, it's difficult. We have tried to keep him inside as much as possible and away from anything that might set him off.

Was talking to my vet about this and he said that the best way was through the dog's throat, explaining this gave better results and had less side effects that doing it down the mouth.

Has anyone heard similar?

(My girl has been debarked through the mouth and her bark came back over 18 month period.)

Sorry Kamuzz but I would think having it done through the throat would be far more invasive than "down the throat". Would presume the operation would take a lot longer having to cut through the layers of throat etc and then a line of stitching.

Was talking to my vet about this and he said that the best way was through the dog's throat, explaining this gave better results and had less side effects that doing it down the mouth.

(My girl has been debarked through the mouth and her bark came back over 18 month period.)

Keeping the dog quiet for the healing process is what helps the procedure be a success, because, i was told, when they bark & use there vocals a lot ofter the op it creates scar tissue which then (semi) seals the hole (made from OP) & they will sound pretty loud again in no time.

I have had a couple done, who were very noisy, after complaints also. "understand fully"

I believe down the throat is much better personally.

Going through the skin and into the larynx gets a quieter result but also can have more scar tissue issues and a constriction of the wind pipe at the incision point. In worse case scenarios it can mean the dog has trouble getting enough air into it's lungs during hard exercise.

Down the throat is less invasive with less chance of infection (no incision wound).

I have heard of some dogs needing to be debarked twice.

The vet at Wollongong has cheaper rates for dogs that need to be re-done. Some do, I think I might have to get two of mine re-done - they are the worst barkers and I had trouble keeping them quiet during healing.

:

The vet at Wollongong has cheaper rates for dogs that need to be re-done. Some do, I think I might have to get two of mine re-done - they are the worst barkers and I had trouble keeping them quiet during healing.

I have been reading this topic with interest. I had a dog debarked many years ago and it was just wonderful... He was always cowering away from me because I was constantly screaming back at him to shut up!!... I now have another girl here who I am seriously thinking about having done as she is hyperactive and barks excessively (barking neighbours dogs have not helped at all)... I have a bark collar here which she uses but I cannot leave it on her constantly.. and she know as soon as it comes off!!... Where the others it was great .. they soon learn't to respect that I didn't want them barking and they now only bark when they get let out of a morning (with excitement).. and occasionally when they play.

What I want to know is what people's experiences are for dogs that are debarked having an operation... I have been told that this can be a problem... and as this is a girl I have to consider the possibilities of csaerians in my breed. Has anyone had any problems this way. :kissbetter:

I suppose that I shall get shot down in flames but here goes.

Maybe we should be "Lobbying" to get this procedure made fully legal.

Just stop for a minute and think. No more neighbor disputes, no more council

visits, no more punch ups over barking dogs. Also, remember the case where a

person died after a dispute over a dog.

It's a simple procedure down the throat and takes only a few minutes. The dog's

vocal cords are cauterized and the dog STILL barks but at a soft level that will

not bother the neighbors or anybody else.

I believe this is better answer than euthanasia.

I disagree with this, simply because there are too many people out there who would use it as a first option rather than a last option.

Even as it stands now, people will try "bark" collars but will refuse to put one that delivers a static shock on the dog because it's considered "cruel".

As long as it's done as a last option I don't care, but I agree with the restrictions on it and if anything I'd like them tightened.

As long as it's done as a last option I don't care, but I agree with the restrictions on it and if anything I'd like them tightened.

In what way. They're already tight.

I'd like to see restrictions tightened on shock collars for novices - I see those in the wrong hands as cruel.

I'd like to see restrictions tightened on shock collars for novices - I see those in the wrong hands as cruel.

Yeah same here.Reading dogz sometimes it comes across like theres no other way to train a dog but use a coller