Vet In Adelaide

wire

We live in Glenelg and use the local vet clinic and to be honest, it's quite ok.

The thing is, we use to have the most fabulous vet until she left for Perth and I just would like to find someone who is highly regarded when things get a little serious but also to have a heart connection with our little animals.

There is an old thread floating and several people have mentioned Dr Chris Girling at Noahs Crossing but this is just too far away for us.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the vet on 36 unley road is fantastic. they take time to talk to you and they spent 45 mins talking to me (i didn't take the dog) and they didn't charge me. they also have a policy re taking on treatment. it goes something like this: if you take in a sick animal and they tell you what is wronh and you don't want to get the treatment, they don't chatge you the consulting fee. this is not word for word.

they also have experience with brachy breeds which is what i need. i have been going there for years and am very satisfied.

I don't know him as a vet (I'm in QLD) but, I have visited his greys, Dogues and Bracco! Lovely. I will go to him when I move back to adelaide. It actually isn't too far. When I drove from West Lakes, I was surprised how quick it was on the highway out there, years ago when I lived in Adelaide, it seemed to take forever!!

We always go to Colonel Light Veterinary Clinic, even after we moved 15 minutes away. There is a vet 2 mins away from my house, but I always go to colonel light, especially for operations. They're the best vet I've been to so far and have a good reputation. The vets are really nice and they're a bit cheaper than other vets I've been to as well, but not cheaper in service!

Edited by GotAnyBlacker

I was disapointed in one we tried a few months ago..

We were told about this really good one in Mount Barker, who does things a bit differently. Well He sure does ! LOL

Anyway after a lot of muck up with communication with making an appointment with him ( it was for our cat), we were about to cancel it, and then his secretary rang and apologized and said to come in ( he thought it wasn't fair for our kitty to have to endure being not well for too much longer).

We did honestly tell them that is was a second opinion we were after, and we were wanting to change vets if we were happy with their services.

At the end of the diagnoses ( which was same one as our usual vets), he wouldn't even give her medication to give her relief !! ( it was a Saturday so we were desperate for medication for her!)

So that put us off a new potential vet for our dogs !

And he has a different way of clocking your time with his consult, but it worked out the same cost as our usual one anyway (without the medication) LOL

So we are back to square one again..

Oh and we went back to our usual one as we were desperate for medication, so it ended us costing up double by the time we had to pay their consult fee as well !

By the way I did the other thread about looking for a really good vet in SA :happydance:

Just that we want to try to find one up our way..

sorry for having a vent in your thread :provoke:

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs

The O'Halloran Hill vet on South Road is pretty good. Only been there a few times, but have come away very satisfied. All the vet nurses are very knowledgable and nice.

Spot was desexed there and I was very happy the way they treated him and held him later than they usually allow [before they charge more] because I was unexpectedly caught up.

Fulham Gardens Vet Clinic on Tapleys Hill Rd. They have recently moved to new premises about 500m north of their previous location. We have been taking our dogs there for 5 years or so, and have found them to be fantastic.

Fulham Gardens Vet Clinic on Tapleys Hill Rd. They have recently moved to new premises about 500m north of their previous location. We have been taking our dogs there for 5 years or so, and have found them to be fantastic.

No no no no no no.

I've said it before, I'll say it again - they do NOT know their stuff. I know its open later and all that, but it doesn't make up for expertise.

wire, I live in Glenelg too. I've been vet hopping. I can not speak highly enough of Dr. Nick Male at Marion Small Animal Hospital, 827 Marion Rd, Mitchell Park.

Have to agree with Fevah in regards to Fulham.

They diagnosed Gracie with cherry eye ( nothing wrong with her eyes ), I was there because she had an ear infection. They told me nothing wrong with her ears but insisted they needed to treat the cherry eye, cut a long story short, few choice words and off to Chris Girling to get some drops for her ears.

Thought I'd save on fuel and the half hour drive, but never again, not even for the simple things.

Another thumbs up up for Colonel Light Vet Clinic, have been going there for years and LOVE them :shrug: I was also impressed with the Southern Animal Hospital for the several emergencies we have had, won't use them as a regular vet though!!

I Have head good things about the Marion Animal Hospital too although haven't used them :laugh:

Edited by Weimlover

Don't like them at all. I dunno if they changed hands a couple of years ago as the previous vets i saw were so much better.

I take my two to the Hawthorn Road Vet Clinic and have never had to many problems with them unlike the Colonel Light one which when my dog had an eye infection we couldn't get in for 3 days or something and then when mum rang the Hawthorn Road one they said she needed to be brought down immediately.

I take my girl to Chris Ayres at Reynella Veterinary Hospital on South Rd. He is really good. (Breeder recommended).

I have taken her to Marion Animal Hospital - but have had mixed feelings. Went there when I first got Rommy as they are close to home - shouldn't name the guy, but the vet who did my girl's microchip was very rough with her and stuffed up his first attempt to put a chip in. I've been back once when Rommy was ill and i couldn't get down to Reynella in time - was happy with that Vet - that was Peter Hammond.

Took my cat (long story) to the Animal Hospital on Main South Road last year and I think they were fine but boy did they charge like wounded bulls - got him out of there very quickly beofre they ran even more 'tests' and sent me into bankruptcy!

As everyone knows I use Derek McNair at the The Parade Vet Clinic and couldn't be happier - always try and see Derek and he's terrific and I think his prices are reasonable. He also has a fantastic locum there at the moment - Christine - as she's as good as he is.

I also hear there is a very good vet at Little Hampton named Catherine in the Adelaide Hills - friends of mine are very happy with her too.

Hope that helps,

Westiemum