Parvo Virus

Around October last year I had some little rescue puppies here who turned out to have parvo, and both had to be put to sleep :) Since then I have not let any dog come here unless it has been vaccinated for at least 10 days.

Now I am about to get a new puppy of my very own :laugh: Instead of bringing her home at 10 weeks, I have waited until she has had her second vaccination, and will be bringing her home 2 weeks after that, just to make sure she will be safe from any lingering germs.

My dilemma is this: I want to crate train her, and i was going to go out and buy a brand new crate BUT I already have a couple of crates here, however they were used by the puppies that died. Do you think it would be ok to use one of these crates for my new puppy if I thoroughly cleaned it out with undiluted bleach?

Now I am about to get a new puppy of my very own :) Instead of bringing her home at 10 weeks, I have waited until she has had her second vaccination, and will be bringing her home 2 weeks after that, just to make sure she will be safe from any lingering germs.

Daisy, exciting news about the pup! Personally, I don't think you can ever be too paranoid.

I would also hunt around for a vet who gives Nobivac vaccines (I would double check this), apparently the Nobivac are fine pretty much straight away rather than the 2 week wait. So puppy can come home earlier.

Like I said I would double check, but it is what I was told by someone in the veterinary industry.

Did I send you a link for well priced crates ? I can't remember

you did, thank you :)

But I do have a couple of perfectly good crates here so am wondering if I really need to go out and buy a new one or not.

I was told by a vet once that Parvo is very long lived and can live in the soil for 10 or more years.

Also, I know that vets use a particular type of antiseptic to clean off Parvo as the other disinfectants don't work.

Perhaps you could phone your vet and ask him/her just to be on the safe side?

Now I am about to get a new puppy of my very own ;) Instead of bringing her home at 10 weeks, I have waited until she has had her second vaccination, and will be bringing her home 2 weeks after that, just to make sure she will be safe from any lingering germs.

Daisy, exciting news about the pup! Personally, I don't think you can ever be too paranoid.

I would also hunt around for a vet who gives Nobivac vaccines (I would double check this), apparently the Nobivac are fine pretty much straight away rather than the 2 week wait. So puppy can come home earlier.

Like I said I would double check, but it is what I was told by someone in the veterinary industry.

I think someone from DOL took part in titre testing following the Nobivac and showed to not get immunity until after 2 weeks? Can't remember who it was though, maybe Tess?

Are they plastic or wire crates? I think metal would be ok if you scrubbed all the joins etc with the appropriate disinfectant. Plastic absorbs smells & colours.

As said ask your vet, after all they would have dogs/puppies in their waiting rooms with parvo & must clean them properly.

metal crates - I spent about an hour yesterday scrubbing it compeletly with undiluted bleach :) But I have now ordered some Virkon and will be spraying everything with that before puppy comes home :rofl:

Definitely talk to the vet - I had a similar situation with having a puppy die of Parvo and wanting to get another puppy - I sanitized the whole place with a spray the vet gave me and waited 6+ weeks. My new puppy was absolutely fine and is now nearly 2 years old :p

I would definitely look at ways to sanitize the grass as well - though this might be harder it's definitely worth it to make sure no new dog get the disease.

If they are vaccinated correctly they will be.

Use the new vaccination protocol and the right vaccine they will be.

The hardest problem is getting people to believe it. :)

What do you regard as the "new vaccination protocol" and the "right vaccine" ?

Edited by Erny

I personally would buy a new crate for the puppy to use for the first month or so. After that, a crate cleaned within a inch of its life with F10 or similar would be ok i would think. That way you need only purchase a small crate and wont have to fork out as much $$.

What kinda puppy you getting Daisy?

Nope, there would be no vaccination manufacturer (whether it be for animals or humans) in the world who would guarantee 100% effective cover. A small percentage won't gain immunity from vaccination no matter how closely protocol is followed.

Virkon is very good stuff, kills lots of nasties.

What do you regard as the "new vaccination protocol" and the "right vaccine" ?

It's not only to do with vaccination but when to do it and how to prepare for the vaccination.

There are many factors which govern the effectiveness of vaccines. Some breeders cause vaccinations not to work by the timing of the shots when given.

Did you by any chance attend the lectures given by Dr. Jean Dodd's when she was lecturing here in Australia, because if you did you will understand better than most what I am trying say. :laugh: Those that attended will know what I am trying to say. :laugh:

I think if I tried to put it into words it would be to long and boring to most. What if I tell what I do and why.

Firstly I believe I contributed to the death of one of my dogs by over vaccination. That's how I became interested in vaccination procedure.

I now use vaccine that is manufactured in this country. Why, because it has less distance to travel around the world to get to the vet's surgery and to arrive in tip top condition. I am asking the vet to use Nobivac DHP. I now vaccinate at 8 weeks not 6 weeks. All 27 teaching veterinary hospitals in America are teaching 8 weeks not 6 and they can't all be wrong. :laugh:

Speaking to people that have told me of loss of litters that were vaccinated at 6 weeks. Upon asking why they thought they lost there litter. Many gave varied and vivid reasons why. Then I came up with a person who really wanted to know why the pups died of parvo 2 weeks after vaccination with DHP. (This was years ago now) This lady even tested the bitches milk. Yes the pups were still on her. Their in lies the answer to why the pups died. This bitch was producing Anti Bodies. Then the thought was if one can do it, so can others.

My puppies now come off the bitch at six weeks and NEVER drink from her again.

I vaccinate at 8 weeks when any Anti Bodies would be at their lowest.

I use local made vaccine that has less time to travel at the correct temperature (we hope).

Again I go back to Jean Dodd's words ...one vaccination before three months and one after. If you are in any doubt titre test. If the dog has Anti bodies (T cells) in it's system they are there for life. The only thing that will kill them is irradiation or death.

I have not written the above to be ridiculed as what I have said is fact.

What I have written about local vaccine is my thoughts.

Yes, the message is getting through and we now hear of far more less deaths in puppies than we used to.

Yes, the message is getting through to people not to vaccinate yearly.

Yes Mr/Mrs/Miss Vet we are sorry that you are losing money on yearly vaccinations but the health of the animal is more important.