Carsickness In A Young Dog

Kaz

Well recently I rehomed an 8 month old rottyx to an absolutely fantastic home.

I really want this dog to work out there but the problem is he gets carsick on a regular basis.

The gent really wants to adopt him but a large part of his life revolves around travelling around the country in his van with his dogs accmpanying him.

If we can't find a solution to the carskickness though, this really isn't going to work out.

Does anyne have any experience with this?

They do generally grow out of it but in the meantime I would try something like sealegs. I use it on my show dogs, it is non drowsy and I have yet to have one vomit after using them. After the dogs has had a few good experiences they get a lot better.

You could try some TTouch work - good for situations like this. Andy is a practitioner in Sydney you could contact her regarding this. Details can be found at http://www.ttouchaustralia.com.au/?page=7

Alternative is to buy/borrow a book on it, but you would learn a lot better from hands on experience.

Have you tried using any flower essences such as Rescue Remedy. These can sometimes make a big difference.

Regards

Tim

Dante had car sickness as a young dog but outgrew it.

Depends on the reason for the car sickness, is it because the dog has aniexty or just because the dog is prone to car sickness?

Ginger biscuits and Ginger Tablets work well. I have heard of people giving car sickness tablets to dogs as well, best to check with the vet on that one.

No - the dog isn't anxious. I think it is true motion sickness.

I'll pass all your suggestions on to the owner. He has the dog booked in at his vet n Saturday to see if she can help with a solution but I promised to ask around.

Thanks everyone. :hug:

I've experienced this with a couple of foster dogs, no matter what I tried, it didn't work. Had to rehome both to homes where they weren't taken out in the car very often at all.

Things I tried over a few months with one dog were: sitting in the front seat, lavender oil, motion sickness tabs, making car a very positive place with treats etc in case it was nerves.

If I need to medicate a dog for motion sickness, I generally use an anti-emetic such as Stemetil rather than ACP. It works centrally in the brain for motion sickness and has no sedating effects, I have also used it to 'treat' anxiety related car travel problems along with positive reinforcement techniques.

Another old remedy that I have just recently been reminded of, is to put the dog on newspaper. (can put a towel or light blanket over the paper).... Having the newspaper under the dog is supposed to stop that electrostatic that causes motion sickness...(I guess similar to those earth straps that you used to always see in the old days on the back of the car)

Have it on good authority that it works, as tried by a sceptic with a litter of pups on their way to the vets for their vacc's.

Worth a try and doesn't cost anything!

If I need to medicate a dog for motion sickness, I generally use an anti-emetic such as Stemetil rather than ACP. It works centrally in the brain for motion sickness and has no sedating effects, I have also used it to 'treat' anxiety related car travel problems along with positive reinforcement techniques.

Rappie - have you used Cerenia?

It's not cheap, Kaz, but might be something they could try if they can get their hands on some. Meant to work really well and its also non-sedating.

One of my bullmastiff girls used to get car sickness whenever i took her out even just short distances. I didnt think she would ever grow out of it as she was still doing it at nearly 12months(cant remember exactly when she stopped) but she did grow out of it.

Rappie - have you used Cerenia?

It's not cheap, Kaz, but might be something they could try if they can get their hands on some. Meant to work really well and its also non-sedating.

We haven't got it in yet.

The Stemetil works centrally in the brain so does seem to help with motion sickness. We haven't had any info other than promo stuff on Cerenia yet, only what I've read about on VIN and picked up at conferences. Soon :hug:

My two were car sick on every journey (whether it was 5 minutes or 30 minutes) from 8 weeks to 18 months (God only knows how I got such a good trade-in on that car :rofl: ). Then, the day we moved house and had to drive for two hours to the new house - not a vomit in sight and they haven't been sick since.

They seemed to just grow out of it.

They now love the car so much that in addition to their two walks a day we also take them for a drive.

We had a dog who was car sick. We used to sit in the car with him but not go anywhere :) then he progressed to going to the end of the drive a few times a day, then to the end of the road a few times etc. He eventually could travel anywhere.

This may be more relevant for anxiety but maybe worth a try.