Updates On Starting On A Barf Diet

It has been more than a month since I started both my dogs on the barf diet, one needed to lose the weight and the other needs to gain. Today when I weigh them after weighing them last a month ago. My girl who needs to lose weight has lost a kg but my boy has also lost a 600gms! ;) I have been feeding him 500gms of the barf diet based on his ideal weight which is 20kgs and he is not gaining weight at all. Instead he has dropped the weight. He was desexed a month ago and should gain some weight which is not happening at all :happydance: I am at loss now, is there anyway I can help to boost the weight gain? I want to feed him raw and didn't want to add in any stuff such as biccies to his diet...

Guest Tess32

The ideal weight is just a guideline - if he needs more food because he expends more energy, just give him more raw food per day.

Yep as Tess said that percentage is a avg guide, you need to adj how much they get to suit the individual dog. You will also find different times of year and different week to week activities will change their requirements, but that goes with any feeding not just barf, I also rarely ever measure how much they get, I just give a little more if they are looking leaner or a little less if they have put on from where I want them to be (but with staffords you see every bit of gain/loss as their coats are so short and tight)

I wouldnt reccomend going fattier just yet, I would try increasing the amount first, increasing fat with some dogs can make them sick

What are you feeding? Lamb flaps are good for putting weight on. But yes the 2% for adult dogs for BARF is only a guide line. If he is a young active dog then he possibley needs to be feed .5 or 1% more.

My two pugs, 6 who is 7.3kg and 8 who is 8.7kg, are feed approximatley 1.5% of their ideal body weight. If I up it to 2% they start getting to chunky.

Whereas my foster girl, approx 15 months old and 5kg, is fed 3%.

He gets his usual barf diet and brisket bone every day. I will up his portions to even 4% as I only use 2% instead of 3%. He is an extremely active dog, always running around the yard. I will go to the butcher the next time when I am there and get him some lamb flaps :laugh: Thank you all for the advice :cry: I will reweigh him a month later and let you know how I go :(

He gets his usual barf diet and brisket bone every day. I will up his portions to even 4% as I only use 2% instead of 3%. He is an extremely active dog, always running around the yard. I will go to the butcher the next time when I am there and get him some lamb flaps :) Thank you all for the advice :) I will reweigh him a month later and let you know how I go :love:

Just as everyone else has said, feed him more :)

But don't get all tied up about what he weighs. Is he has a good covering over his ribs and is active and bright then he's the right weight. You may need to adjust his food from day to day depending on what he's doing that day or what you have planned for the next day - all feeding not just BARF is never fixed and often needs adjustment on a daily basis.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, I have a feel on his body. He does not have a nice covering over his ribs. All I could fee is his ribs sticking out :) OH weigh both dogs today, and my girl lost 1.2kg and my boy gain 0.8kg :( So now she is 20kg and he is 15.8kg. She is not too far from her ideal weight and he is slowly gaining it. I am adjusting their portions according to their daily activities. I did a pact with OH that if there is no result from starting on the BARF diet, he is allowed to feed them whatever he wants and now my perserverance pays off! :)

Definitely just depends on the dog - my girl needs to eat much more than my male who weighs more than her to maintain her weight. My male puts on weight really easily, so he gets less.

Sometimes it takes a while to get it right, you just need to muck around with the amount of food a bit :)

I just go on body condition, too. If someone is looking a little skinny or a little plump, I just adjust slightly. It usually ends up being a bit of a subtle see-saw deal. Especially as I never actually weigh any of the meals. :) I just kinda toss things together haphazardly and feed lots of bones of varying sizes and amounts of meat and do it all by guesswork.

My mum's Kelpie cross is a few kilos lighter than my Lapphund, but my Lapphund eats significantly less. The Kelpie cross is so active it's quite hard to keep flesh on her. My mum makes her own BARF mix and ended up having to increase the meat to vegie ratio. It wasn't a big deal for her less active dog, though. She just cut his food back and still feeds them the same thing.

Depending on activity levels, my 20kg boy will on some days eat up to 900gms. Other times much less, he's a bit of a fuss pot and generally regulates his own volume of food intake.