111 members have voted

1. 1. how often do you wash you dog

• daily
    • weekly
    • fortnightly
    • monthly
    • yearly
    • never

My Labrador has never been bathed in her life! Her coat is glossy and soft and she smells fine. She is an indoor/outdoor dog.

The reason I dont bath her is because prior to her I had another black lab who used to follow me into the shower on occasion so I would wash her, she would have regular dog baths and her coat was so dry and disgusting. The more i washed her the drier she became and the more I would need to wash her to get the dry skin off her. At the time i didnt realise it was from over washing. My vet explained to me the damage i was doing so i stopped washing then and there.

When i got this lab I decided i would see what happened to her without a bath. People are always commenting on what an amazing shiney coat she has but i put that down to her diet also.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wash them monthly. I should wash Diesel more due to his skin problem, but the weather has been so wet lately!

I will wash and dry your dog if you can train my Stafford to heel :rofl: (seriously!)

Are you sure you're not me in disguise!

We can't help it if we're domestic Goddesses :rofl:

A couple of times a year would be about all that is needed for my breed of choice (Rhodesian Ridgeback). They are a breed to be known for 'low smell' and like the greys, they have a fine, single coat.

I don't like the thought of bathing dogs more than once every 2 months for the mere fact of stripping oils from their coats.

Obviously there are 'special' times when a bath in less than that time might be needed.

they get a quick brush (soft horsey kind) one a week and that's it.

I use a rubber mit for mine - these are the only grooming tools that I find are soft enough for them but which also removes moulting hair and dander. What horse brush do you use, Anniek? Just an ordinary 'body brush' ? Or the softer kind (that I would use to 'polish off' a horse's coat)? Not sure that would get to the skin sufficiently.

A soft "Showmaster grooming brush" - we like them so much we recomend and sell them. It clears off the dust :rofl: and gives them a nice allover shine. Great for a quick polish and does remove dandy without stiring up more. Especially on our little black girl - I can fix my lippy in the reflection!

I use a zoom grrom type thing for wooly fosters, but on mine I find the rubber things can cause a grease streak down the middle.

I wash them monthly. I should wash Diesel more due to his skin problem, but the weather has been so wet lately!

I will wash and dry your dog if you can train my Stafford to heel :rofl: (seriously!)

Watch out I may take you up on that! :rofl:

Washing once a month in Summer and probably 2-3 months in Winter - washing being with a soap type product. They will get a rinse in just water more often than that and if they get really gross they will get a bath in between the monthly one. I always get the shampoo that is safe to use with flea treatments as it doesn't strip as much of the oil away and BCs can be prone to dry skin.

Ideally once a month, realistically once every 6 months :( The brown one doesn't smell unless he's rolled in something, but I love how soft his coat is after a bath.

I should give the border collie one though, she actually does smell a tiny bit doggy at the moment.

I wash about twice a year. Mac I wash pretty much whenever I strip him out (about twice a year), and Clover I wash when she finds something disgusting to roll in (about twice a year).

Guest belgian.blue

Once a month, or every six weeks. She rarely smells as I brush her every couple of days.

When we do have a bath it is all chemical free, makes her coat extremely lush!

Her thick wooly coat is water proof, so bathing in the tub is a MAJOR effort and I refuse to pay for a hydrobath.

once a month whilst i'm at work a very nice lady pulls up in a very cute hydrodog bath van and 3 doggies get their wash mmmmmmmm they smell nice after it! when i win Lotto I'll get it done once a fortnight, for now once a month suffices. :(

Before most shows for Misty and that could be anywhere from once a month to 3 or so times. If he has had a good week i will just give him a dry bath but he does get bathed often.

Lestat gets a bath maybe once every 5 or so months unless he is really foul.

I find that I'm having to wash Kei less often as he gets older.

As a baby puppy he would pee on himself more often than not, lie on top of his bones, dip his ears in his food bowl you name it and I had to bath him at least once per week otherwise he stank.

Now he's got better aim and has learnt how to eat without covering himself in food I only bath him once a month and he doesn't smell at all.

I was always told that Ridgies were a very clean non smelly breed but for the first few months I thought it was a complete lie :(

The Whippets are bathed every week. Sometimes twice in a weekend if the show ground is red soil or muddy.

Some of the coated breeds are washed every two days or at least 3 times a week.

They are of course only washed in good quality shampoo and conditioned or oiled depending on the breed.

My beagles are pets only, but I like them to smell nice because theyre inside/outside dogs and theyre often inside on our suede couches.

Because theyre coarse haired dogs, I find washing them once a month is fine, and I usually do it after I mow the lawn so the cut grass doesnt irritate them. They'll get washed earlier if they roll in something horrid, which they're prone to doing.

Saki gets bathed once every month... or 2 months... or 3 months... Hehe :confused:

She just doesn't have that doggy smell, she's very clean, and if she gets muddy it just brushes right out of her top coat and never even gets down to her undercoat :thumbsup:

Yay for the Spitz coat :thumbsup: x

Chloe gets a bath usually once every fortnight, but it's going to be harder since it's getting colder!

I like her smelling nice and she usually rolls in mud at the dog park so needs a good wash.

Doesn't seem to be too much for her - her coat is always shiny!