July Photography Challenge

Ashanali

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

a combination of the challenge and my 3D experiment.

You have to go crosseyed and just stare. You need to focus on the seam in the middle and relax your eyes until you eventually see 3 images. Concentrate on the middle one and it should look 3d

3688906441_60d122fa79_m.jpg3689712508_83736b3a3c_m.jpg

a combination of the challenge and my 3D experiment.

You have to go crosseyed and just stare. You need to focus on the seam in the middle and relax your eyes until you eventually see 3 images. Concentrate on the middle one and it should look 3d

3688906441_60d122fa79_m.jpg3689712508_83736b3a3c_m.jpg

wow thats cool!! :cheer: i saw four to begin with then got the three and it looks very 3D, very clever

For the people who are getting really blown out images you have a few options.

Move back further when painting. The closer you are to your subject, the stronger the light is that is falling on them - move away and the light is weaker

put your ISO down to the smallest number possible. Some cameras this will be ISO 50, for others this could be ISO 400. Whatever the smallest number is, you want it!

Close your aperture right down as far as it will go. For some this will be F22 for others it could be F32. The biggest number is what you want.

Buy a smaller torch from a $2 shop that is quite weak. You don't need huge amounts of light as you should be 'painting' more than 'flooding'. If you have a larger torch, you could put some cardboard over the front and make the opening smaller so less light gets through OR grab an elastic band and some cooking paper and put it over the entire light to diffuse it a little.

Ideally you want to paint for around 10 seconds to get the softer shadows and painterly effect. 5 seconds will be close... less than five seconds and you won't get the right effect.

As I said at the start... this will be a month of frustration, but once you get it you will love it!

Thanks for your help Ashanali, your info is very easy to understand :laugh:

I have only had my camera about 6 weeks, and joined up for a short basic photography course, I haven't found it to be very good, I don't find the teacher to be very clear or easy to follow.

Your instructions in the last two challenges have taught me more than the class has.

Thanks heaps.

Here are my first attempts. They are my wedding shoes.

005.jpg

002.jpg

Edited by black magic

More great shots today guys. I have been lazy today and haven't done any light shots, so I will post an old one, some of you may have seen it. I wasnt 100 percent happy with it but I think it is ok.

DSC_0174-1.jpg

Two quick self portraits, didn't know what to do, tried to make it look like I was opening the door to an entity. The flower I picked today and added for a bit of colour.

3690137162_f2576ee243_o.jpg

and this, just because I can see Jodi the Pig in the background! :laugh: (for anyone who has seen the original Amityville Horror, you will know all you can see of Jodi the Pig is 2 glowing eyes in the darkness). I had to think what those 2 lights were after I took this.

paint.jpg

eta: impossible to stay still while drawing with a torch, but I tried.

Edited by Ripley

ok, not sure if this is headed in the right direction or not.

I was aiming for a very ghostly look in my photos.

3684226786_682d3d0c04.jpg

Oh I absolutely love this one, I think you've definitely achieved a ghostly effect. The slight movement in it is really eery. Really awesome job!

OMG I think your ghost plans on getting pissed!! :laugh:

doing the photos i was trying to take last night i happened to stumble on how to do something i have been trying to do for months so thanks for doing this challenge lol...