Greyhound

Troy

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have done some obedience with Skadi and she will go back and do more next year once she retires from the show ring. The club I go to is fine about her not wearing her muzzle while training on the grounds but I did ask for permission first. Since everything they do is for food reward it was a bit hard to treat and have the muzzle on at the same time. They did say that if someone complained then she would have to have her muzzle back on though.

:curtsey: Hi Anne,

I have looked at and read your website...its great!

I am going to try showing one of my boys. He is race bred but a beautiful 40 kgs so hubby has told me I can keep him for the ring! :thumbsup:

He has just turned 12 months old.

I just hope that we can do ok and not embarrass ourselves! :D :curtsey: .

He starts his obedience classes next sunday....fingers crossed we are good enough for the ring!

QUESTIONS

1. What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc)

I have been in greyhounds for 6 years now. I do breed the occasional litter...I train Racing greyhounds.

2. Where and why was the breed first developed?

I don't feel I know enough knowledge to answer that question right now.

3. How common is it in Australia?

Heaps in the racing circles, I don't know about the show rings.

4. What is the average lifespan?

The oldest I have ever had was 17, she was a girl I rescued after she was dumped. She was 14 when i found her.

5. What is the general temperament/personality?

Most of my greys are friendly with my whippets though I have never had them around other small dogs. Our retired girls and boys are very affectionate and love the couches! Some like more exercise than others.

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult?

Depends on the dog

7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with?

I don't see why not.

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods?

Some can but I like mine to live together, they seem happier.

9. How much grooming is required?

not much as they are short haired dogs. Mine get a brush every day and that seems plenty.

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

This would depend on the dog. A friend of mine has one of our retiree's and has two girls aged 4 & 8. Though most of mine I would not place with the elderly as they are ex-racers.

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of?

Pannus & Thyroid are the ones I know of with the racing dogs.

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

Before buying a greyhound I would sugest you find out as much as possible about the breed and make sure you are honest with the breeder or rescue organisation you are getting one from.

In the past we breed,showed greyhounds .Our most well known girl was Multi BIS Ch Shaaltarah Paper Moon followed bymany other multi grp winners

Already answered well

Greyhounds in general are a common breed its a case of what your after

Our oldest was 14yrs

Very easy going,affectionate,clean,lovable & sensitive

Depends on your property size & whether they can do self zoomies or not.Ours got daily walks but where able to do zoomies in the yard

yes

yes

Our show greys had thick coats so ours hwere blow dried.The UK?euro lines & in particular parti colours have a thick coat but still easy to maintain

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

No different than nay breed .you set boundries.Whilst greys arent boisterous they are inclined to leap upwards

All our greys bar one where healthy as horses.The one with issues was thyroid .

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

Not sure what the racing world does but show goers hips/thyroid prenty much any test as they breed hasnt in all honesty had alot of testing.Ideally see what happening around the world & where your lines are based.

As for obedience in the US greys are stars at tracking,The Greyhound club of America national holds show & competition classes in which greys do very well at.

I trained our red parti girl for agility but with the muzzle laws in WA it was to much hassle when trials where helded at public spaces.

All ours where obedient & would come when called

Use to breed them, train them and race them. Been involved with greys for 19 years

Been answered already

Racing dogs are very common. Show dog varietys not so common. You can show race/ex-racers

10+. We have 2 brothers that are ex-racers. They are both almost 11 years old. The oldest we had was "Cobbers Gold" who was a top city racer in the late 80's/early 90's. He passed away just short of his 17th birthday.

Here he is :(cobber2c.jpg

Gentle, affectionate and not to demanding.

As much as you want to give them. They do love to do zoomies like most sighthounds.

Yes as long as they realise that Greys are sighthounds therefore love to chase. They have no road sense so need to be in a secure yard.

I prefer dogs to have companions if owners are gone for long periods

Not alot. A grooming mitt will loosen up and remove the dead hair. Make sure they have a warm coat to wear when the weather gets below 20 degrees celcius.

Generally no but there are always exceptions to the rule.

In race dogs thyroid problems are pretty common. Not sure about non-racing line show dogs

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be.

Like any breed do your research to see if they are suitable for you lifestyle. They are generally a healthy breed. Ex-racers may get early arthritis due to racing injurys (eg/ hocks, which usually ends a career) but is treatable and so are thyroid problems.

Why not buy a GAP dog? :rofl:

Question! With reguard to greys being suceptable to teeth problems - is this a genetic thing or more to do with a racing diet causing issues?

It can sometimes be a combination of both.

Some greyhounds have incorrect bites, and this means that eating bones may not always keep the teeth clean and these dogs must have their teeth cleaned by hand.

Some greyhound trainers do not feed bones, as they fear that doing so may vary the weight of the dog, which is not allowed under racing rules. Others do feed bones and have no problems.

Unfortunately if a dog has advanced gum disease and this is not corrected until the dog is four or five years old then the gums may have receded and then the teeth will be a lot more prone to tartar build-up in future.

i hope to have a grey or two when i retire

i have seen them at gatherings and it was like walking through a deer park - all so docile and lying down

it can be deceiving though

By Mod: Edited to remove some content.

Edited by poodlefan

i have seen greys leaping so high it would take a huge man to contain one and get it calmed

I have a couple of leapers and I am not a huge man and I can contain them. Yes I agree not all greyhounds are suitable for adoption and some that are suitable are more lively than the majority but even the excitable leapers are, for the most part, couch potatoes, just certain circumstances can make them leap. Piper because he gets quite nervous in large crowds and Fern cause she she wants to kiss everyone. So I manage them as most people have to manage their dogs who have little quirks all of their own. As easy as greyhounds generally are they are still dogs and may still have habits etc that need to be handled.

When I first saw Piper I said "not for a million bucks would I have that dog", he was a mad, whirling, twirling fiend. But he was so totally stressed with the circumstances that his brain imploded! He is a total couch potato, he is 100% a house dog, he is so easy to live with but he gets unsettled with large groups, I know that and manage that. It's his little quirk and I don't care.

PercyK if there is a group you have seen placing dogs with unsuitable people then that is a reflection of that group only and not the whole breed.

Out of all the rescue and rehome organisations in Australia that I know of, none go to the lengths GAP does to screen the dogs and match them to the homes.

Your post is totally inappropriate for a topic that is calling for people to know the breed to answer questions about them.

i often talk about greys to others but in doing the parallel research myself i am uncovering more and more information which leads me to believe that there are many dogs out there that are up for adoption that are not suitable for many of the people who are told 'hey theyre couch potatoes'

thats all

reading stuff about greyhounds here especially i was also lulled into thinking theyre really easy dogs

The vast majority of greyhounds available for adoption are really easy dogs. But they are dogs, not robots, so some may have a quirk or two.

I would love to see your information regarding many greyhounds available for adoption that are not suitable. Name and shame if you have actual evidence to back it up, otherwise ..............................

Greytmate is right, this thread is to ask questions about a particular breed not to slam rescue groups you consider are not on the up and up.

but i think that a suitable greyhound is not such an easy beast to find

i often talk about greys to others ...

i think it is fair for people to know there are differences within a breed ...

Hi PercyK

Of course there are differences within a breed. I've known a border collie who was a couch potato and a labrador puppy who was less than a ball of energy and a placid weimaraner puppy ... most dogs of a particular breed are their own individual variation on the breed traits. Perhaps go and get a mutt who has no breed traits to answer to (spoken as someone who has had crossbred dogs all her life and gained her first purebred dog in her fifties - a grey - and yes, she has on occasion bounced and leapt about, but has then gone straight back to sleep, unlike my mutts who kept bouncing for some time).

The vast majority of dogs presented to a GAP are easy and suitable for rehoming. GAPs rehome them. They also handle adoptee-rejections of dogs if they happen. GAPs also try to set up an ongoing relationship with the new adopter - doesn't sound like an ignorant fly-by-night operation to me.

If your observations as someone not involved with the breed differ so much from those who have 20 or 30 years experience with living with and rehoming the breed (and handling any after-effects), then perhaps your observations are erroneous or skewed.

Give us some more practical details - none of us want greys mishomed (for the owner or the dog).

Similarly, I think your observations are misposted here. How about the breed forum, where we can introduce you to as many lovely placid rehomeable greys as you like, and perhaps change your opinion.

Currently own two greys - Jack, almost 11 years; and Lacey, 9 1/2 years. We adopted both when they were 7 1/2 years old, from GAP.

5. What is the general temperament/personality? / 6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult?

My two are quite different, but equally lazy and happy to lounge around most days - a 10-15 minute walk every other day is more than enough to keep them happy. Temperament-wise, Jack is quite dominant and can be a bit grumpy around unfamiliar dogs; while Lacey just wants to be everyone's friend, and I'm completely comfortable with her around other dogs.

In general, yes - my experience is that they are incredibly low maintenance, with low exercise and grooming needs, and don't ask an awful lot of their owners at all. Neither of our greys has ever demonstrated anxiety-related problems, either - they're both calm and are happy to be left at home on their own. We've never come back to the yard or furniture destroyed!

In general, again, I would say no - but this depends on the individual dog. I know from my experience of GAP's rehoming process that these are the sorts of circumstances that are taken into account when matching a dog with a new home. Jack, for example, would not have suited a home with small children, cats, or unfamiliar / non-greyhound dogs - so GAP did not try to rehome him with a young family that owned cats. Instead, he came to live in a cat-free, child-free zone, and has done extremely well. (Lacey, on the other hand, is bomb-proof - she just doesn't have an over-react button at all. Makes her the perfect candidate for noisy, dog- and kid-filled environments! :laugh: )

On that note...

i hope to have a grey or two when i retire

i have seen them at gatherings and it was like walking through a deer park - all so docile and lying down

it can be deceiving though

a friend and i have been looking at greys from time to time

and we have seen some that have been really pushed onto unsuspecting potential adopters

i say:

please if youre a rescuer be honest with the dog youre trying to place with people

it can be so hit and miss

i will certainly take my sweet time in choosing one

My experience is primarily with GAP, and therefore of greyhounds that are assessed and appropriately matched with adoptive families' circumstances. As such, the adoptive owners know what to expect, and the dogs are set up for success. If Jack, for example, had been placed with a family that owned three small fluffy dogs, two cats, and had several children under 8, he likely wouldn't have come up looking like the star greyhound - and in such circumstances, the answer to 'Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with?' could suddenly look very different! :laugh:

In a home like ours, however (and at that stage, first-time dog owners), he is free to be the gorgeous, well-mannered, laid-back, independent and only slightly curmudgeonly old man that he is. We understood from day one exactly what he'd be like, and manage his behaviour appropriately.

If I were ever looking to adopt yet another grey, even having some small degree of experience with retired racers, I'd still go back to a reputable rehoming organisation like GAP - I trust their judgement when it comes to assessing potential pet greys. So best of luck with your grey-search, percyk - may you find the perfect couch-potato for your situation! :laugh:

• 1 month later...

Not actually answering all the questions but I am now on my second Grey.

My first grey I got at 7 months of age from racing stock and as my husband and I were heavily involved in an obedience club she had no choice but to do obedience along with the border collie.

Leah was never muzzled at obedience and slowly and surely we made it through the classes right up to trials standard.

Sitting was slow as was the down position. Recall was at times unpredicable, most of the times she came straight in.

Leah went in (back then) 3 preliminary trials and got the highest mark for on lead heel work, but obedience wasn't really her thing but being a couch potato was. She was the best pet, sadly l lost her at 11 yrs of age. (we were very trusting of Leah and there is a photo of her doing a drop stay on our web page with her border collie mate Ben AOC in the memories page.)

Now we have a show greyhound very affectionate and at times rather stubbon. She is very playful at times but is always very close.

www.delaforcekennels.com

• 3 weeks later...

I have jumped from Rescue to this part of the breed section :laugh:

I need some information on Greyhounds

We have a Greyhound who has been in long term care for about 18mths.

Alot of that time has been in a shelter envioronment. He is sociable, loving, goofy etc.

Toilet trained and just a delight.

We have the opportunity for a home for him, but would like the opinion of people who know this breed.

They ppl don't have much of a backyard. What they have is paved. Maybe say about 10m x 5m

With a pergola.

The do however have a fron't yard that is about 800m square. So heaps of running space.

The issue is they wont leave him in the fron't yard unsupervised as they only have a picket fence.

This is understandable.

The grandparents and mum are home during the day time, so he would get supervised playtime out the fron't

Would you consider this as ok for a Greyhound?

They are lovely people and their children are delightful. Very nice family, but we need to do what is best for the dog.

Is the home their are offering any better then his current environment?

They would like to kennel him at night, but I would like to convince them that his bed under the pergola is fine.

They also aren't against him being inside with them. I just have to cat test him.

Any thoughts or information on what Greyhounds daily requirements are would be appreciated

A kennel out under the pergola would be fine, a bed inside would be even better. The thing that jumps out at me is the height of the front fence and do you really think they would be outside with the greyhound every single time it was out in the front yard? Are they going to take it out the front every time for toileting or is the back yard also going to be used? What about walks? Greyhounds can and do live very happily in apartments so can live without a yard but it requires a big commitment from the owners. If the front yard is only going to be used once or twice a day for a romp, I would expect the owners would cope, my greys don't get a gallop every day. You would have to be very, very sure the owners are up to it. And if the fence is only 3 foot high then I would have serious doubts about letting a dog loose to do zoomies, it would be so easy for the dog to jump the fence and be off.

A kennel out under the pergola would be fine, a bed inside would be even better. The thing that jumps out at me is the height of the front fence and do you really think they would be outside with the greyhound every single time it was out in the front yard? Are they going to take it out the front every time for toileting or is the back yard also going to be used? What about walks? Greyhounds can and do live very happily in apartments so can live without a yard but it requires a big commitment from the owners. If the front yard is only going to be used once or twice a day for a romp, I would expect the owners would cope, my greys don't get a gallop every day. You would have to be very, very sure the owners are up to it. And if the fence is only 3 foot high then I would have serious doubts about letting a dog loose to do zoomies, it would be so easy for the dog to jump the fence and be off.

We aren't going into this lightly and are really accessing the situation for him.

I know they would love him and treat him very very well. I just want to make sure

that He wont/can't get out of the fron't yard (he is 2.5 and never attempted to jump)

Do I believe they will have him out the fron't supervised? Yes I do

Big decision to make for the lad

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys - just a couple of questions about greys (I hope to adopt in the future :confused: )....

In WA (and Im in the country) are greyhounds still required to be muzzled?? I noticed the greys at the Royal Show - at the Greyhounds for Pets Tent - didnt have muzzles.

Is there a particular age that greyhounds are retired from racing?? I gather they are raced and if unsuccessful, retired?

How easy are they to house train when being acclimatised for their pet life? And do they have any problems getting used to going from track life to house life?

Thanks, and its great to read so much about these beautiful dogs!

I met my first greyhound at a friends place and was quite taken by him. :thumbsup:

Rat

Hi Lab Rat I'm not sure where WA is in regards to the muzzle laws. Best to check with GAP. If you get a grey from GAP it will be house trained already. You just need to be mindful, as you would of any new dog, that you might not read the signals right etc but really they are so easy (99%). The age can be any age. In Vic they will take them from 8 months old so some don't even get to the track and some retire to the couch after stud duties. A friend of mine has a bitch that had had 3 litters. They are exceptional dogs :)