Scratching And Crying At The Door At 2am...

craftikylie

I have an 8 month old Boxer and we've had him for 2 months, we also have an 18 month old Staffy. Lately, the boxer has taken to scratching and crying at the back door in the middle of the night. I just find it strange since we've had him for 2 months now. Is he cold? We are in the middle of winter here... We've moved the kennel so it is in more of a protected area of the yard and I'm all out of ideas. I just go out and rouse on him and tell him to go to bed and he seems ok after that. I could understand if we had just got him and he feels uneasy, but like I said, we've had him for 2 months and this has only started a week ago. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have an 8 month old Boxer and we've had him for 2 months, we also have an 18 month old Staffy. Lately, the boxer has taken to scratching and crying at the back door in the middle of the night. I just find it strange since we've had him for 2 months now. Is he cold? We are in the middle of winter here... We've moved the kennel so it is in more of a protected area of the yard and I'm all out of ideas. I just go out and rouse on him and tell him to go to bed and he seems ok after that. I could understand if we had just got him and he feels uneasy, but like I said, we've had him for 2 months and this has only started a week ago. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Have you moved the kennel to a place where he can't see the back door from it? If you have, move it back. Chances are if he cannot see where you come and go from, he wont' be using the kennel.

If you live in a colder area of NSW, its highly likely he's cold.

Edited by poodlefan

Your poor dogs, short coated dogs really feel the cold. As you say it is very cold where you are, they are probably frozen.

Personally, I don't agree with keeping any dogs outside in kennels but particularly not short coated or small dogs.

I rehome dogs for a rescue group and we don't allow this because it exposes dogs to the elements and all the mosquitoes and other insects that bite etc. It can also cause a dog to bark at things in the night such as bats etc and wake neighbours as well as your family ....

Don't you have somewhere that the dogs could be more comfortable at this time of the year in particular - a garage, a laundry, kitchen etc?

As for coats, some dogs don't like certain coats but I have found the trick is to try different styles with some dogs.

Bring the poor dogs inside the house. The Boxer is a young pup and since they're both short coated dogs they must be freezing outside in this weather.

I also agree with Dogmad. I would never put my dogs outside to sleep. Neither would I rehome a rescue dog to anyone who wanted a dog to live out in the yard.

Bring the poor dogs inside the house. The Boxer is a young pup and since they're both short coated dogs they must be freezing outside in this weather.

I also agree with Dogmad. I would never put my dogs outside to sleep. Neither would I rehome a rescue dog to anyone who wanted a dog to live out in the yard.

Well said :D

I would advise bringing them in before they start scratching. Otherwise they may get into the habit of scratching everytime they want in or out. We try to let our girl in as soon as we see her waiting by the door. If we don't, she ffirst barks then scratches. The scratching is destructive and annoying, and a habit we are trying to break by letting her in before she scratches and ignoring her when she does scratch.

A couple of warm blankets in the laundry would probably help, or train them to be in the main part of the house near you, but only on their bed if you don't like them inside.

Although I'm 100% sure your dogs are cold during the night, one thing you can do is this test - stand in your garden for a couple of hours in the night, without a jumper or coat on, and see if you feel cold? If you are feel cold then so will your dogs. Feel the inside of your dog's ear - if that is cold, then your dog is cold.

Please help your dogs.

Whoa hold up people....

These dogs are spoilt rotten, but I can't have a dog inside that will destroy everything. He is still young and very destructive, and having just bought a house, my partner and I can't afford to replace everything that HE WILL destroy if left inside all night. We have put beds and blankets inside the kennel and they are in pieces all over the backyard in the morning.

These dogs are inside from the time I get home from work until we go to bed and forgive me for making them sleep outside, but I think we all need to remember that they are dogs, not children. And what is the point of having dogs who are also a fantastic form of security as well as companionship, if they aren't outside at night "protecting their territory".

craftikylie - they don't have to sleep on your bed, in your bedroom or even the loungeroom. Just asking if there is somewhere warmer, during the winter months that they can stay. Sleeping on a blanket in a kennel would still not keep a dog warm on its back.

Dogs are dogs and children are children, I certainly know the difference and have never wanted the latter. It doesn't mean that the former, although less equal in human terms, deserve lesser care.

At least one of your dogs has an issue. You asked for help and suggestions. Now you don't appear to like the answers, so often the case I find on DOL.

And what is the point of having dogs who are also a fantastic form of security as well as companionship, if they aren't outside at night "protecting their territory".

Wouldn't you rather they were inside protecting YOUR territory - and possessions and family. Mind you - neither Staffords nor Boxers are considered any great shakes as "guard dogs" - hope you're prepared to hand out towels for licked-to-death burglars :thumbsup:

Crate for the Boxer, is the Stafford chew-proofed?

Whoa hold up people....

These dogs are spoilt rotten, but I can't have a dog inside that will destroy everything. He is still young and very destructive, and having just bought a house, my partner and I can't afford to replace everything that HE WILL destroy if left inside all night. We have put beds and blankets inside the kennel and they are in pieces all over the backyard in the morning.

These dogs are inside from the time I get home from work until we go to bed and forgive me for making them sleep outside, but I think we all need to remember that they are dogs, not children. And what is the point of having dogs who are also a fantastic form of security as well as companionship, if they aren't outside at night "protecting their territory".

How are the dogs spoilt rotten if they are left outside in the freezing cold in winter? :thumbsup:

Bring both dogs inside, put them in the laundry or buy 2 crates and crate them somewhere warm.

Short coated dogs would be freezing, even in a kennel, as you said, they chew the bedding, so would be frozen at night.

Buy a chewproof bed, some knitted jumpers or similar, and bring them inside into the laundry. Can't do much damage in there.

Oh, and most burglars break into a house, much better to have the dogs inside. :rofl:

These dogs are inside from the time I get home from work until we go to bed

So they get turfed out late at night after being comfy & warm inside.

I would suggest if you dont want to change the routine around you need to put them outside earlier so they can adjust to the temp change.

I would dare say you dog wouldnt make any security dog if at 2am its scratching to come inside as its cold :thumbsup: .

No there not children but if there cold then as owners you need to make an effort to ensure they have better warmth otherwise you will have to put up with been woken & i gather when you go out to scold the dog for annoying you your are forgetting that its simply wanting some basic needs of warmth

How about a crate, lined with soft toys and fleecy fabric that you can leave in the lounge room?

They can rip up a toy if they wake up early, and you can just replace the toy with another so all your things will remain in tact?

The fleece is also very cheap and can easily be replaced if shredded.

This is what I have set up for my puppy and even though she wakes up much earlier than us, she sits in her crate quietly and does not make a peep or she will rearrange all her plush toys around the crate.