My Bubby Has Severe Constipation

Bubitty

If your vet recommends overnight stay and fluids then I would definitely go along with this rather than board members who haven't actually seen the dog. Bowel blockages can be a very serious problem.

I agree. She's doing what her vet has suggested for the dog.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been through this twice with Esme, absolutely no more bones for her!

The first time she had a series of enemas and came home the same day, she was fine.

The second was more serious and she went in to clinical shock. Pale gums, listless, drooling etc. The vet was concerned she was going to die (as was I). She came home after a couple of days or so and hemorrhaged badly overnight needing to go back to emergency. It was a very expensive mistake financially and it took Esme a few weeks to fully recover. She was very thin and her coat became dry and brittle, all in only one week.

If your vet recommends overnight stay and fluids then I would definitely go along with this rather than board members who haven't actually seen the dog. Bowel blockages can be a very serious problem.

That is not a bowel blockage - it was probably bowel perforation. Constipation alone does not cause shock or haemorrhage.

I agree - do what your vet recommends Bub - I wasn't suggesting otherwise. I'm just concerned that they are taking advantage of you.

OK, this just happened to my little whippet Feather a few months ago. she had the enema but it didn't work. What did work was electrolytes. The vet said give her 30lms every hour until I went to bed. Instead I continued to give them every time I woke up during the night as well. I am a light sleeper. She ended up getting close to a litre of fluids overnight, for a little dog that's alot. Interestingly she never wee'd once over night, it all went into softening that cement turd. It worked a treat and she did a big poo in the morning. I hope all works out for your boy, you certainly aren't the first person to do this.

How did you make a little grey take that much? Syringe squirt fluid in the mouth? Mixed in with mince?

Thanks for all the support guys. Yesterday after work he threw up what we identified to be Sunday’s dinner and has not kept down anything since so I am quite ok with the IV drip.

They may or may not be exaggerating things but at this stage I just want my baby home in sound condition and see him bounce around with his sister again.

Vet just called. They cleared him out, he is groggy but sitting up. I may be able to bring him home today but they prefer to keep him. He’s still on a drip so hopefully that will do him some good.

He was very blocked up apparently. Long line of blockage running. Vet has been so lovely about the whole thing and so prompt in contacting me as well!!!

I am to ring them at 6 pm to see how Bubby is. I am just so relieved! We have never seen him so sickly before (he is so robust and solid normally you can never imagine him as anything but healthy) so it really put OH and I through the ringer last night!

Glad to hear that his turd pipe is free flowing once more. :eek:

My pointer was having problems a few weeks ago.. he was straining for about half an hour... every time I looked outside he was doing the poo walk. I administered a microlax enema (small tube of irritant medication administered via turd pipe) while my OH looked mildly amused about the whole situation. Pointer went outside and crapped and looked much happier. I then fed him some kibble with a tablespoon of olive oil mixed in. Happy little poo factory again.

Thanks everyone!!!!! :eek:

It so nice to have doggyish people to vent to. Work thinks its scandalous that I came in late this morning because of “the dog”.

He is doing ok. Onto his second bag of fluids and very mellow.

Yay! :eek: I am glad he's OK

to answer your question Tatelina, Feather is a little 9 kg whippet and the way I got her to take so much fluids was with her laying flat on her side. Initially I tried with her sitting up and syringing it into her mouth, but most dribbled out. Then I got the bright idea of keeping her laying flat and just slowly drizzling the water in the very corner of her mouth. Once she understood what I wanted to do she was very co operative, I think she even liked it.

OK, this just happened to my little whippet Feather a few months ago. she had the enema but it didn't work. What did work was electrolytes. The vet said give her 30lms every hour until I went to bed. Instead I continued to give them every time I woke up during the night as well. I am a light sleeper. She ended up getting close to a litre of fluids overnight, for a little dog that's alot. Interestingly she never wee'd once over night, it all went into softening that cement turd. It worked a treat and she did a big poo in the morning. I hope all works out for your boy, you certainly aren't the first person to do this.

How did you make a little grey take that much? Syringe squirt fluid in the mouth? Mixed in with mince?

Guys I need a bit of advice.

Vet would like to keep him overnight, more fluids etc (but from our conversation it seems that he is perfectly fine to come home)

I am thinking it can’t hurt him to be there right? I will be stressed watching out for him if he is home and making sure Lil Sis does not bounce him. He may have slightly leaky bowels this afternoon (they said he may leak a few hours after the procedure still).

If he is nice and warm and hooked up to fluids and with ppl who have proper training, then he should be safe right?