New Toys!

Ashanali

Look what we just got!!! (photo below)

Also yesterday the Sigma rep dropped off a Sigma 24-70mm 2.8 lens for us to play with. The difference to the Canon 24-70 lens is indistinguishable which means we will likely end up buying two so Alex and I can have one each.

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! I love new toys.

post-162-1253160147_thumb.jpg

Look what we just got!!! (photo below)

Also yesterday the Sigma rep dropped off a Sigma 24-70mm 2.8 lens for us to play with. The difference to the Canon 24-70 lens is indistinguishable which means we will likely end up buying two so Alex and I can have one each.

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! I love new toys.

You lucky girl. What were you using before that beauty?

Yes, 5D Mark II also does high def video.

If you want to see a master who uses a 5D Mark II for his video work then check this out. (It's a video by a friend of mine who is regarded as one of the top 25 videographers in the world... except he is now leaving the field of videography to concentrate on photography with his equally talented wife.)

http://vimeo.com/4942734

Kirislin - we were using a 30D and a 40D at weddings. The 30D will now stay as a back up and Alex and I will have to share the 40D and the 5D mark II. I am sensing a few power plays on the horizon :crossfingers: (I am taking the camera and lens with me to Melbourne next week though :welcome: )

If you want to see a master who uses a 5D Mark II for his video work then check this out. (It's a video by a friend of mine who is regarded as one of the top 25 videographers in the world... except he is now leaving the field of videography to concentrate on photography with his equally talented wife.)

Kirislin - we were using a 30D and a 40D at weddings. The 30D will now stay as a back up and Alex and I will have to share the 40D and the 5D mark II. I am sensing a few power plays on the horizon :crossfingers: (I am taking the camera and lens with me to Melbourne next week though :) )

:welcome: Well, there's the first power play.

congrats, so it's full frame from now on. I wonder if you'll see a huge difference.

Edited by Kirislin

Kirislin - we were using a 30D and a 40D at weddings. The 30D will now stay as a back up and Alex and I will have to share the 40D and the 5D mark II. I am sensing a few power plays on the horizon :crossfingers: (I am taking the camera and lens with me to Melbourne next week though :) )

:welcome: Well, there's the first power play.

congrats, so it's full frame from now on. I wonder if you'll see a huge difference.

I shot my last wedding on a hired 5D mark II and a 24-70 lens... and there was a massive difference. I have a small issue with focussing that drives Alex mental when editing and there was absolutley NO issue with this last time. I'm stoked. It's been something I've tried to overcome for the last 10 years. :heart:

(I am taking the camera and lens with me to Melbourne next week though ;) )

Is ther any way we can talk you into a "field trip" while you're here?

Unfortunately I'm already jam packed when I'm there. Wednesday morning I arrive and I'm having a girls day with a couple of photographer friends, wednesday night is dinner, Thursday I'm off to the royal show to watch and walk around (and take the camera with me and be all touristy), Thursday night is dinner with another group of people, Friday is my down day. I'm treating myself to a movie, then heading to a hotel for the night so I can soak up some alone time (no kids, no husband, no dog - READ A BOOK! :laugh: ), Saturday I'm out shooting a wedding then Saturday night I'm being hijacked again for dinner, Sunday is another day of shooting and Sunday night is some quiet time with a couple of friends before I head back early Monday morning.

I'm back in Melbourne in June though, so might be able to do something then. :p

W.O.W :laugh:

That is beautiful.

I am such a bloody sook. I dont even know them and it made me tear up ;)

I know. Matt is so talented, his work is just beautiful (and all that was shot on a 5D mark II) . We can't believe he is leaving videography just as his career is taking off. Incredible.

Congrats on the new toy!!

When you get time, I'd really love to hear more about the Sigma 24-70 2.8 as I keep tossing back and forth about adding the Brick. In the research I've done the Sigma does really well but stumbles in low light/low contrast and is considerably slower to focus (and noisier). I'd love to hear what you think as you put it through it's paces coz altho the Brick is a great lens, I have never ever really wanted it ... but I kinda like that range so the Sigma would be an option :D

When you get time, I'd really love to hear more about the Sigma 24-70 2.8 as I keep tossing back and forth about adding the Brick. In the research I've done the Sigma does really well but stumbles in low light/low contrast and is considerably slower to focus (and noisier). I'd love to hear what you think as you put it through it's paces coz altho the Brick is a great lens, I have never ever really wanted it ... but I kinda like that range so the Sigma would be an option :D

My husband used the 24-70mm 2.8 on the 5D yesterday afternoon. Low light in the bush for an engagement shoot. I'll post some photos a bit later so you can check them out.

(I have to clean the house now)

Cool, thanks, Ash. More than seeing the photos, which I know will be nice I'd love to hear what he/you thought/think of it. Fast to find focus? Sharp all through even wide open? Noisy?

And it's this one, right? Sigma 571101 SIGMA 24-70 F2.8 IF EX DG HSM FOR Canon

Not this one -> Sigma Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS

When you get time, I'd really love to hear more about the Sigma 24-70 2.8 as I keep tossing back and forth about adding the Brick. In the research I've done the Sigma does really well but stumbles in low light/low contrast and is considerably slower to focus (and noisier). I'd love to hear what you think as you put it through it's paces coz altho the Brick is a great lens, I have never ever really wanted it ... but I kinda like that range so the Sigma would be an option :o

My husband used the 24-70mm 2.8 on the 5D yesterday afternoon. Low light in the bush for an engagement shoot. I'll post some photos a bit later so you can check them out.

:rainbowbridge:

Surely your house is clean by now! :p

When you get time, I'd really love to hear more about the Sigma 24-70 2.8 as I keep tossing back and forth about adding the Brick. In the research I've done the Sigma does really well but stumbles in low light/low contrast and is considerably slower to focus (and noisier). I'd love to hear what you think as you put it through it's paces coz altho the Brick is a great lens, I have never ever really wanted it ... but I kinda like that range so the Sigma would be an option :o

:rainbowbridge:

Surely your house is clean by now! :)

actually... no.

I've only just finished the office. It took 2 1/2 hours.

Still have to clean the family room, kitchen, bedroom, bathroom and spare room. The older kids have left for school holidays at their dad's house. It's Spring Clean time :p