Parvovirus

ZooBird

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I am only new here so I hope its ok.

I recently purchased a pup from a breeder and 4 days after I got him home he showed symptoms of diarrhoea. He had been off his food for 1 day only but I put it down to all the running around he did and the fact it was 32'C. He was still drinking plenty of water and seemed alert and happy as well as slobbery!! That night the breeder sent me an email mentioning that 3 other pups in the litter also had tummy upsets so I called my vet who asked me to bring pup straight in which I did. Pup never came home. He was diagnoes with Parvovirus from a rectal swab and then spent the next 4 days valiantly hanging on. We tried everything possible to get him better but we just couldnt and he died. I was devastated.

My question now is how do I disinfect (for want of a better word) my yard so that when I get a new pup the same thing doesnt happen? I have already bleached the inside of my house and the pavement areas outside (I have thrown out the dog bed, bowls toys and kennels as these things can be replaced) but what about the grass? Does anyone have any ideas?? I am more than happy to bleach the grass if this will work - I dont care if the lawn dies.

If anyone has any information it would be much appreciated.

You should bleach the grass as well - it's not 100% guaranteed to work but it's better than nothing. Make sure it is a high quality bleach - something like Domestos or the good bleach from Aldi (which has a higher chlorine content than Domestos).

Other than that, if your budget is up to it, try a viricide like Trigene or Microcide (Microcide at a 1:50 dilution for initial outbreak and then at a 1:150 dilution for maintenance/clean up), which you can get from vets. You should also spray shoes and anything else that has gone from outside to in and vice versa.

It's a horrible experience and I really feel for you. I'd also be talking to your breeder.

I will try anything price is not an issue. Where do you get the other products from??

I have spoken to the breeder also and it has come from their property, I think 7 pups (possibly more now) from the litter have all died from Parvo, its been terribly sad

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I am only new here so I hope its ok.

I recently purchased a pup from a breeder and 4 days after I got him home he showed symptoms of diarrhoea. He had been off his food for 1 day only but I put it down to all the running around he did and the fact it was 32'C. He was still drinking plenty of water and seemed alert and happy as well as slobbery!! That night the breeder sent me an email mentioning that 3 other pups in the litter also had tummy upsets so I called my vet who asked me to bring pup straight in which I did. Pup never came home. He was diagnoes with Parvovirus from a rectal swab and then spent the next 4 days valiantly hanging on. We tried everything possible to get him better but we just couldnt and he died. I was devastated.

My question now is how do I disinfect (for want of a better word) my yard so that when I get a new pup the same thing doesnt happen? I have already bleached the inside of my house and the pavement areas outside (I have thrown out the dog bed, bowls toys and kennels as these things can be replaced) but what about the grass? Does anyone have any ideas?? I am more than happy to bleach the grass if this will work - I dont care if the lawn dies.

If anyone has any information it would be much appreciated.

Sorry to hear this happened to you!

I wouldnt be taking any pups into your house/yard for atleast 3 - 4 months (the longer the wait the better) and if you do get another in the next 12 months I would suggest to get one atleast 12 weeks of age or over so they have atleast had 2 vaccinations.

Sorry you have had this horrible thing happen to you and your puppy.

I believe it depends on what time of the year it is, as to how long you wait to introduce another puppy into the affected yard.

As it is coming up to summer it is a good thing, as sunlight will help kill it, as will what ever chemical you use...

And as already posted. 12 weeks old or older with 2nd vaccination would be ideal.

I would still speak to your vet for advise, but because summer is around the corner, with a bit of luck they might advise 6-9 months instead of the normal 12 months.

Good luck but dont rush things as you would not want to go through this again.

Take Care

Ash..

Virkon S is a proven product you can buy that will kill the virus in the grass. You can also place this into a carpet cleaner with water and clean the carpets, and wash your hard floors in the house with a mop and bucket with the same product.

It may be expensive, but it will save another dogs life.

Where can I buy Virkon from? I have asked at the petbarns shops and the produce shop and they dont have it.?? Provided I can get Virkon does anyone know the ratio for dilution or is it used straight?

Edited by ZooBird

Dilute it with water. Depending on the surfice you are spraying depends on the dilution. Concrete and glass are different to wood and grass.

It is all discribed on the container or packet you buy.

Google Virkon S - I think Vet n Pet Direct have it, takes a couple of days, Horse supply direct sell it.

Virkon is also used by ASIQ.

Zoobird has pm'd me, her breeder is just as upset as she is and has to be congratulated on taking responsibility, calling all pet owners, refunding money and following any progress, she is distraught and may not breed again (I dont know breeder, just forwarding response) Thats what I call a responsible breeder and deserves a big :laugh: I feel for her too :D

Mmm I am looking at Virkon too :wave: Thanks for that nickojoy, we all know I am extra paranoid now about Parvo!

Are your breeders going to give you a refund of some sort? If it sourced from their property and you purchased a 'sick puppy' I'd imagine they would have to do so legally? (not entirely sure but that would make sense)

This should be in the Animal Welfare codes of practice. As we all know, the pup was in the vet on day 4, the breeder has admited that it came from their yard, so they should offer a refund of the pup so you can pay the vet bills.

Mmm I am looking at Virkon too :laugh: Thanks for that nickojoy, we all know I am extra paranoid now about Parvo!

I know it works because I used it. Alot of rescue people have also used it. If its just for the concrete, strong clorine bleech will kill it.

yes the breeder has been fantastic, has covered all expenses and is giving a full refund - not that the money aspect was ever a concern to me. I would have paid ANYTHING to get him better

Edited by ZooBird