Mandatory Overnight Stay At Vet After Male Desexing?

Jennt

The vet we've been going to has advised they have a mandatory overnight stay after male desexing. Is this normal? They have no humans stay onsite overnight so my dog that usually sleeps in our room and is not used to being alone would be quite stressed I assume. I've already bought a Bunnings cage planning for this and would think that him in there with a collar on being watched by us would be better...

Just wondering if I should start looking for another vet...

Sure. I know quite a few vets who do this. Most places it is incorporated in to the regular fee so you are not paying extra for it. Vets just like to know that the wound is clean and that the dog has recovered from the anesthetic well. The vet I use does it, always have, and it's not an extra charge at all (same with fluids). I am comfortable with doing it and know that my dog will sleep through the night well.

If your dog is a major stress head though it may be worth discussing this further with your vet.

Did you ask them why they like to hold the dog overnight?

No, I've never worked at a clinic that did this routinley.

Only time I've ever done it is if the surgery was done late in the afternoon due to emergencies, but the client was always phoned to check if this was okay or they wanted to re-schedule for following day, OR dog had had a poor anaesthetic recovery and needed observtion.

Normally in by 9:30 & out by 5PM same day.

fifi

ETA: also just remembered we have kept the occasional dog overnight if supervision was an issue at home, or pre surgery fasting compliance was a problem.

Edited by fifi

The vet we've been going to has advised they have a mandatory overnight stay after male desexing. Is this normal? They have no humans stay onsite overnight so my dog that usually sleeps in our room and is not used to being alone would be quite stressed I assume. I've already bought a Bunnings cage planning for this and would think that him in there with a collar on being watched by us would be better...

Just wondering if I should start looking for another vet...

I don't know that I would look for another vet (although it is an unusual request). Surely you can talk to him about it and let him know that you will be home with your boy, have purchased a crate and he will be sleeping beside you in your bedroom. Ask the vet, if your dog stays overnight, will there be a vet/nurse with your dog the whole night. I personally would politely explain that I would prefer to take my boy home, and not leave him overnight at the vets :rolleyes: I've had a number of male (and female) dogs desexed and none of them required an overnight stay. I worked for a vet a number of years ago and it was never a requirement then.

Edited by gsdog2

In my experience this is pretty unusual. Very few if any vets (other than emergency centres) are staffed overnight anyway so I really can't see the point of it for a routine surgery. If it were my dog I'd be going elsewhere.

Our vet does it, and while Darcy was desexed there Zee will be going elsewhere.

Darcy was fasted from 10 pm the night before and dropped off at the surgery at 8 am the next morning under the idea that they would get her in and done after the usual emergencies. Wrong - she wasn't done until 3 pm. :rolleyes: Which they don't tell you until you make the first phone call to see if everything's ok given it's taking so long....

So she spent 3/4 of the day at the vets unnecessarily and then all night there in an unmanned surgery. :laugh:

No, I've never worked at a clinic that did this routinley.

Only time I've ever done it is if the surgery was done late in the afternoon due to emergencies, but the client was always phoned to check if this was okay or they wanted to re-schedule for following day, OR dog had had a poor anaesthetic recovery and needed observtion.

Normally in by 9:30 & out by 5PM same day.

fifi

ETA: also just remembered we have kept the occasional dog overnight if supervision was an issue at home, or pre surgery fasting compliance was a problem.

Same here.

For a routine procedure such as castration, and when the clinic is not staffed overnight, I really don't see the point of keeping them in.

Will they allow you to take your dog home the same day, if you request?

I have heard of clinics that do this & funnily enough all the ones that do dont have staff overnight.

Also be careful because many vets dont do overnight stays send them off to another place.

It is common in my state,very few do 24 hr monitoring & the dogs are shipped off without owners knowing to a facility they may never wish to use.

We have used a number of vets over the years & not one has an overnight policy & like Fifi the only time it may happen is if done late & yes you are given the courtesy of going ahead or re scheduling

Both clinics I have worked at have done this. The idea behind it was so that the dog would be kept quiet and confined and able to sleep off the affects of the anaesthetic. There were too many cases of owners not understanding their dogs had just had surgery and didn't follow instructions to keep pup quiet and thus ended up upsetting the wound. Also, a lot of owners tend to stress too much if they see their dog being quiet etc, so by keeping them in overnight, allows both the dog and the owner to get a good nights sleep.

Vets just like to know that the wound is clean and that the dog has recovered from the anesthetic well.

But what would be the point if none of the Vets (or anyone, for that matter) are going to be there anyway?

Personally, I'd rather have my dog back home with me where I can keep an eye on him.

ETA: Just read Stormie's post and I can see the point in that. I agree that some people aren't as dog savvy as people on DOL might be, but I also don't think the majority of people are that dumb that it can't be explained to them. But yes, 'some mothers do have'em' and there can be one in the pile. I still would have my own dog back with me though. I think being at home would be less stressful and that's got to be good for healing and GA recovery.

Edited by Erny

Vets just like to know that the wound is clean and that the dog has recovered from the anesthetic well.

But what would be the point if none of the Vets (or anyone, for that matter) are going to be there anyway?

Because the dog is given a thorough check over first thing in the morning. Where I worked the vet would sit down every morning and we, the nurses, would bring each animal out and they would have a good going over. Once hospital rounds are done, owners are called to fill them in and animals released to go home provided all is well.

We, as DOL'ers, are more dog savvy than most. You would be surprised at what some owners do, or let their dogs do , after surgery......

For a simple castration, I have not heard of keeping them overnight .

I would not be comfortable with leaving a dog in an unattended clinic overnight :rofl: Where I used to work, the vet lived on site, so someone would always check any animal in 'hospital'....and we never kept any normal desexing, male or female in overnight

It's not the norm, maybe 15 years ago but not now.

The dogs we keep in overnight are generally very ill (but stable) or on heavy painkillers so often aren't aware anyway, but if the anaesthetics used are good then I can't see any conscious young dog being happy about being left alone.

There is a clinic up the road from us that still do it for speys and we often have people ringing around to see if it's normal, generally I think they have their animal desexed at another clinic and then go back to the regular one after that.

[ You would be surprised at what some owners do, or let their dogs do , after surgery......

And it's going to make a difference sending the dog home the following morning :cry:

There is often quite a difference in the animals the day after their surgery. The afternoon of the op, the wound can weep and the dogs can be groggy and whimpery from the anaesthetic. Most DOL owners are pretty dog savvy and wouldn't worry about these things, but I can tell you from experience, most of the dog owning population aren't like this, and would stress at the site of any blood, or because they think their dog is in pain.

For example - we had a client a year or so back, who had a tiny skin wart taken off their dog. The lump was a tiny skin tag that could almost have been whipped off with just a bit of local. The dog had the relevant pain relief post op and was sent home that afternoon. That night, the owner was obsessed that the dog was in pain, because it was sleepy. They ended up taking it to the emergency hospital at about 2am and spent a few hundred dollars to get a shot of Methadone, to calm the owner down more than anything. Sure enough, the following morning, the dog was back to its normal self. Obviously we wouldn't keep small lump removals in overnight, but this is a perfect example of why we do er on the side of keeping them in.

Too many owners worry at the site of blood and/or a sleep, groggy dog. By keeping them in, the dogs aren't being fussed over and getting excited to see their owners, and get a good night sleep and when the owners come to pick them up the next morning, the dogs are back to their normal selves and the wound is generally clean and not weeping.

I'm not saying I disagree with them going home the same day. Now that we're in our new clinic, we're generally doing it on a case-by-case basis and assessing each animal as to whether we think it would be ok to go home the same day or not. Speys we will always keep overnight, generally because it's not a small operation and it's just our choice.

I just don't think people should write off a vet that chooses to keep them in overnight- they obviously have their reasons and in most cases, they would feel its for the good of both the animal and the owner.

no vet in decades of owning dogs has kept a male of mine o/n after desexing

bitches have been and my friends also have had the same experience with their dogs and different vets

i have mine desexed on a friday morning so i can have the weekend to watch them recover

Edited by percyk

There is often quite a difference in the animals the day after their surgery. The afternoon of the op, the wound can weep and the dogs can be groggy and whimpery from the anaesthetic. Most DOL owners are pretty dog savvy and wouldn't worry about these things, but I can tell you from experience, most of the dog owning population aren't like this, and would stress at the site of any blood, or because they think their dog is in pain.

I don't think it's fair to generalise like this - I too have worked in a vet surgery and it was a rare thing for a desexed dog to go home with blood around the wound site and dogs were not sent home unless they were fully awake.

"Too many owners worry at the site of blood and/or a sleep, groggy dog." - I agree that under these circumstances the dog should be kept overnight. I do think however, most dogs (we're talking about male dogs) would be better off at home and supervised than stressing in an unattended vet clinic/hospital :laugh:

"I just don't think people should write off a vet that chooses to keep them in overnight- they obviously have their reasons and in most cases, they would feel its for the good of both the animal and the owner." I agree, and as I said previously it's probably best for OP to discuss their concerns with their vet and come to a mutual agreement that they both feel comfortable with :(

Edited by gsdog2