How Often Do You Change Your Clamshell Water?

Hi all,

Adelaide is heating up quickly! Last night took myself off to Big W and bought a clamshell for $21.95, this morning put some water in and Pete's already figured it's a pretty nice way to keep his feet cool! Just wondering how often you change the water in yours?

Have also frozen water bottles for him to have during the day and I leave him with a couple of frozen chicken necks (which last about 2 seconds). Had his fur thinned by the groomer but figured this probably wasn't enough so have cut it all off his legs and trimmed around his body. Any other suggestions?

(Obviously have a couple of water buckets (there is nowhere which is completely shade free all day in our backyard, but one water bucket is shaded all day by a table, the others are in places which have shade either in morning or in afternoon)

p.s. I think I am the only person in Adelaide who doesn't like the summer! My english blood craves a nice cool rainy day...

Hi all,

Adelaide is heating up quickly! Last night took myself off to Big W and bought a clamshell for $21.95, this morning put some water in and Pete's already figured it's a pretty nice way to keep his feet cool! Just wondering how often you change the water in yours?

Have also frozen water bottles for him to have during the day and I leave him with a couple of frozen chicken necks (which last about 2 seconds). Had his fur thinned by the groomer but figured this probably wasn't enough so have cut it all off his legs and trimmed around his body. Any other suggestions?

(Obviously have a couple of water buckets (there is nowhere which is completely shade free all day in our backyard, but one water bucket is shaded all day by a table, the others are in places which have shade either in morning or in afternoon)

p.s. I think I am the only person in Adelaide who doesn't like the summer! My english blood craves a nice cool rainy day...

I change the water in mine a few times a week, but not because it gets dirty but because it gets emptied by two dogs who like to empty it by splashing around in it. I move it around the lawn so it serves a double purpose and waters it for me :)

Otherwise I would probably just change it once a week unless it got too dirty.

I just change mine when I think its getting too dirty. Which is pretty dirty because the instant they start using it, its muddy. LOL I dont mind a bit of mud in it. Or I will empty it when we have a show coming up and I dont want him swimming!

Please secure the clam shell so that it wont flip up and trap your dog underneath.

He's taller than a golden retriever and about 25 kilos, do you think he could get trapped? Oh you've got me worried now! How should I secure it?

Probably not but you never know. I think some people place bricks in theres or perhaps you can use the holes and tie it to something.

When I fill the clam shell I have here you can't move it for love nor money.

I have to bucket the water out. :thumbsup:

Cheers

Thanks oakway, just went out to assess ours, and it's only a few inches deep but it took me an effort to drag it a few cm so I can't see scrawny pete doing much :)

Never thought about dog getting trapped under the clam shell ;) We sometimes leave it empty and propped up when we dont want wet dog all over the house. Will have to try it tonight and see if she can get out :)

Gets pretty hot here too, and warming up nicely now. Marlin makes a pretty good job of emptying it herself, its on the lawn so does get pretty muddy, have to refill it a couple of times a week at the moment, and we have a couple of large washing up bowls around the yard which sometimes double as a bath :) Marlin will have a long coat and have sent for some polar collars, will avoid clipping her if I can as seems that sometimes causes thicker regrowth, but lots of grooming to keep coat thinner, fortunately she loves water especially out of the hose or sprinklers, so can water garden at same time as dog :thumbsup: Loves the beach too and happy swimming even when its rough. Already averaging over 30 degrees, come January we will have days on end of over 40, I might need the polar collar myself then, good job I bought two :)

post-30210-1256864035_thumb.jpg

I change mine every 2 days - i add some ACV to it too.

Zero's only comes out on hot days though. He's not a water kind of dog unless it's hot. It's great for him because he knows if i get his leash out on a hot day, we're going for a walk but he has to go and get wet first. Usually he dives in head first so he's completely drenched before we go for his walk. :)

It's great for him because he knows if i get his leash out on a hot day, we're going for a walk but he has to go and get wet first. Usually he dives in head first so he's completely drenched before we go for his walk. :)

That's a good trick! Pete wasn't overly excited with it this morning, but I picked him up and plonked him in (not that easy when he's 25kg and I'm 55kg!) and then after the walk with some encouragement he got his feet wet again, not sure if he'll play or sit down, but it's peice of mind for me while I'm at work that it's there..