Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

thanks GR for the offer, but I have a fairly large fold up wire crate myself. It is large, bulky and quite heavy, so really wanted the lighter Clipper 6 if I can find one over the next couple of months.

Also thank you CnR for offering to check on the crate for sale. Let me know if it is a "6". Anything smaller would be too cramped I'm afraid, and probably wouldn't be allowed by Qantas anyway.

I have a friend in mind who has a crate and may loan it to me, but I will eventually need to buy one for future trips over east with my kids.

Fetchindawgs, I forgot to say as well... my parents are happy to find out more info about using our property for retrieving trials but don't know that we would be able to remove the geese... so would 4 geese be a problem for retrieving dogs? They would stay out of the way it is just my dad is a bit iffy of them being chased (my dogs love swimming after them :rofl: ) You can email me on mirawee @westnet.com.au(remove space) if you want to chat more about it :D

We should all bring our dogs favourite treats to training tonight then test them out with Rosie in a process of elimination :) There must be something that gets her going!

The supermarket had no 4Legs or Chunkers all last week that I could find, due to the blackouts and them losing their fridge stock. So I had to train with these dry little treats you get in the dog food aisle (their price has gone up like 200% since I first used them when Ruby was a pup!) My girls still screamed yes mum, please train me even with those!! :rofl: And I was doing learning type stuff with it, too, like scent discrimination! Ah, the beauty of having Labs!! :D

Edited by RubyStar

The supermarket had no 4Legs or Chunkers all last week that I could find, due to the blackouts and them losing their fridge stock. So I had to train with these dry little treats you get in the dog food aisle (their price has gone up like 200% since I first used them when Ruby was a pup!) My girls still screamed yes mum, please train me even with those!! :rofl: And I was doing learning type stuff with it, too, like scent discrimination! Ah, the beauty of having Labs!! :D

Oh bugger! Lucky I stocked up on them before the storm! (they were on special)

Mine like those Natures Gift treats heaps! And dried liver which is a good fallback. But anything that's got too much cereal in it, like baked bone biscuits etc gets rejected :) (I don't blame them!)

We should all bring our dogs favourite treats to training tonight then test them out with Rosie in a process of elimination :) There must be something that gets her going!

Try BBQ sausage, Mason loves it more than anything. He isn't keen on 4Legs. I buy the sausages bulk and split them up into 2 or 3 for the freezer.

The supermarket had no 4Legs or Chunkers all last week that I could find, due to the blackouts and them losing their fridge stock. So I had to train with these dry little treats you get in the dog food aisle (their price has gone up like 200% since I first used them when Ruby was a pup!) My girls still screamed yes mum, please train me even with those!! :rofl: And I was doing learning type stuff with it, too, like scent discrimination! Ah, the beauty of having Labs!! :mad

Try BBQ sausage, Mason loves it more than anything. He isn't keen on 4Legs. I buy the sausages bulk and split them up into 2 or 3 for the freezer.

I use hotdog sometimes. Last night's menu was hotdog and cheese :( Mum commented that I could go and snack if I didn't feel like training the dogs :D

We had our first obedience class last night.

Cara got so bored after about half an hour, that not even food could interest her. Hens on the other hand, he was happy to perform all night long with treats.

Sometimes it's hard to get a young dog to focus for a long period of time (and certainly even my dog would be pushing it for longer than 20 minutes at a time!)

Try giving her a 5 minute break (at least) and then going back into it.

The supermarket had no 4Legs or Chunkers all last week that I could find, due to the blackouts and them losing their fridge stock. So I had to train with these dry little treats you get in the dog food aisle (their price has gone up like 200% since I first used them when Ruby was a pup!) My girls still screamed yes mum, please train me even with those!! :rofl: And I was doing learning type stuff with it, too, like scent discrimination! Ah, the beauty of having Labs!! ;)

I use hotdog sometimes. Last night's menu was hotdog and cheese :D Mum commented that I could go and snack if I didn't feel like training the dogs :D

:mad

Sometimes when Mason ignore a command when I am training I will eat his treat if its a BBQ sausage :( I'm cruel arent i :)

Gosh I hope you're cooking those sausages before hand if you're eating them :)

That's why I use hotdogs, precooked :D Love my dogs, but not enough to cook them sausages to last all week for training :rofl:

In case I forget when we are together on Sunday. Beans is allergic to lots and lots of foods - so need to keep the esky lids on and not let her hijack Ruby's treats. :mad

Guest RosieFT

hee thanks for all the training food tips :-)

i think the problem is that lacking other stimulation she does get exited re food, but given any other stimulus food is forgotten... *but* I am starting to realise that this is changing a bit. One of the reasons i started agility was to get her to focus on me when there were distractions around, and since (on the website) they encouraged toys as postive reward I thought it would be good for her. I have noticed as the weeks have gone on, that she will look to the food on the contact excersizes, which is great.

At obedience training when she was younger, i even tried bbq chicken and it didn't even rate when there was so much going on.

I think by food oriented, i mean a dog that thinks food is the beez knees.. nothing else could come close, 100% focus on you and food no matter what. I don't think i will ever have that with rosie.. hmm unless i had biltong... hmmm have not tried that in training but if my OH has any she is OBSESSED!

She will tentatively take a piece of cooked sausage from me, drop it on the ground, sniff it, think about it, the gently eat it... how many labs do that?!?!?!? LOL

A ball will always win over her dinner and taht is her favourite - raw chx wings. Unless the cat is around.. then the cat gets shooed away from bowl, but she still goes for the ball. Quite amusing when i put her dinner out and then try water garden.. as soon as she sees me head for the tap she is by my side.. but if i say 'hello mishka (cat)" she darts back and forth looking for cat LOL

anyhoo, she seems pretty taken with corned beef, and i have some left over chx breast from last nights dinner so she cannot complain about the treats! LOL.

Funny you mention the ball / food thing, last night Kyzer was playing with his isqueak, I gave both dogs a big meaty lamb bone each and he started eating his but then remembered the ball and stopped, he was standing there looking at the ball and the bone as if torn between the two :eek: You could really see the pain and confusion in his eyes :mad

hee thanks for all the training food tips :-)

i think the problem is that lacking other stimulation she does get exited re food, but given any other stimulus food is forgotten... *but* I am starting to realise that this is changing a bit. One of the reasons i started agility was to get her to focus on me when there were distractions around, and since (on the website) they encouraged toys as postive reward I thought it would be good for her. I have noticed as the weeks have gone on, that she will look to the food on the contact excersizes, which is great.

At obedience training when she was younger, i even tried bbq chicken and it didn't even rate when there was so much going on.

I think by food oriented, i mean a dog that thinks food is the beez knees.. nothing else could come close, 100% focus on you and food no matter what. I don't think i will ever have that with rosie.. hmm unless i had biltong... hmmm have not tried that in training but if my OH has any she is OBSESSED!

She will tentatively take a piece of cooked sausage from me, drop it on the ground, sniff it, think about it, the gently eat it... how many labs do that?!?!?!? LOL

A ball will always win over her dinner and taht is her favourite - raw chx wings. Unless the cat is around.. then the cat gets shooed away from bowl, but she still goes for the ball. Quite amusing when i put her dinner out and then try water garden.. as soon as she sees me head for the tap she is by my side.. but if i say 'hello mishka (cat)" she darts back and forth looking for cat LOL

anyhoo, she seems pretty taken with corned beef, and i have some left over chx breast from last nights dinner so she cannot complain about the treats! LOL.

Biltong.... that could cost you an arm and a leg :eek:

Gosh I hope you're cooking those sausages before hand if you're eating them :eek:

That's why I use hotdogs, precooked :mad Love my dogs, but not enough to cook them sausages to last all week for training :mad

In case I forget when we are together on Sunday. Beans is allergic to lots and lots of foods - so need to keep the esky lids on and not let her hijack Ruby's treats. :mad

What food do you use as a treat for her??

Sweet potato seemed to feature on Ptolomy's treat list when I was there. Chopped up chicken necks and cheese but I can't remember exactly what Beans was allowed but do remember she could have sweet potato :eek: . I remember tub upon tub of cheese and sweet potato lined up in Ptolomy's fridge :mad .

Sweet potato seemed to feature on Ptolomy's treat list when I was there. Chopped up chicken necks and cheese but I can't remember exactly what Beans was allowed but do remember she could have sweet potato :eek: . I remember tub upon tub of cheese and sweet potato lined up in Ptolomy's fridge :mad .

Pumpkin, ham, lots of goat, chicken, yoghurt and yep buckets of cheese and sweet potato