Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

Just got back from the vets. Lincoln was being really sooky and kept trying to get into my lap when I first got there. Then I got to take him out in the garden with the vet so he could have a pee, once he had he kept trying to chase the butterflies. :laugh: I then got to stay while he had a little bit of food. He is getting better and will be allowed home once he is off the pain meds and his blood levels are back to normal. He is half bald though! :) But still looks as cute as ever.

ive just popped in here, glad to hear he is on the mend!!!! Must of been such a shock

Awww, good to hear you had a nice visit with Lincoln. :D Chasing butterflies indeed ;)

I couldn't agree with you more about pet insurance. I almost had to take out a second mortgage with Hamish. Learnt my lesson there and have insured every dog since. Dougal has had many thousands of dollars worth of treatment with both cruciates done (one twice) and his hip dysplasia. Pet insurance allowed me not to think twice about any of it.

My next puppy will hopefully be ultra healthy! :)

Yeah I am so glad I have insurance for Mason, it has come in very handy and now with his allergies I paid out my excess already so they will have to repay me in full for everything he has done at the derm.

So glad to hear that Lincon is on the mend, hope you are recovering from the stress too. Certainly has me thinking that these days you can't afford to be without pet insurance, will have to find a way to afford it as a bill like that would cripple me and I would be paying of the debt long after the dog had died of old age.

Just thought I should say Happy Birthday to Toby who is 2 today. Poor boy got a little bit forgotten in the drama. Our boy dogs are competeing who can have the stupidest accident as pups, Jack (RIP) ate snail pellets $800, Toby broke his leg around $3000 all up and Lincoln ate something that gave him gastro, his bill: :) .

Happy Birthday Toby

S8001097.jpg

S8001130.jpg

Hi All

A friend with a 6 month old mastiff is having some discipline/training problems (actually lots, she's a lovely friendly dog but completely and utterly ignores whatever her owner says!) and she is thinking about enrolling her at the "Doggiewould Training" academy at West Coast Pet Centre. Does anyone know anything about it? I had a quick look at the website and it actually looks OK in theory, but I personally would be worried that if someone else exclusively trained my dog without me there, then he wouldn't listen to me when he came home. I would imagine it's also quite expensive... Apparently a friend of hers used something similar on the East Coast and raved about it.

Luckily, we are not at the stage where I want someone else to train Axel yet (although, at 5 months we are now starting to get big, bouncy and destructive so never say never :( ) I think I would feel like I was "cheating" if someone else trained him for me.

Is it as good as it sounds? Or would she be wasting her money? I have obviously stressed to her repeatedly that whatever training someone else does for her, she will have to maintain in at home and be consistent or else it will be a waste of time.

Jules :rofl:

Jules1 Icant comment on them but I have had a session with Garth Jennens at Pupi and it was absolutely fantastic. I had a whole one and a half hours and got a six page explanation and training guide, as well as his expertise at the time. the price I paid is for ongoing sessions if ever i need them for life. I prefer the one on one and by a certified and trainer with just a bit more than a few certificates. Any way I cannot speak highly enough and encorage you to at least call him

link..

Best of luck

by the way this was for two dogs! PM me for the cost ( but is approx one eight of the other ways! and I was very pleasantly surprised)

Edited by Wazzat Xolo

Just thought I should say Happy Birthday to Toby who is 2 today.

Happy Birthday Toby - hope you get a nice treat when mum is able to :)

and I am glad that Lincoln is recovering:) That is such a relief for you:)

Jules1 PM Zayder Asher, she does dog training but from what I understand she works with the owner to train the dog, I would prefer this than simply leaving someone else to do the training as that is not going to help the dog listen to her.

Happy Birthday Toby!! :)

I wouldn't recommend leaving your dog with someone else to train.

It is the whole relationship that needs addressing, not just the behaviours that the dog is exhibiting.

Classic example is my dogs, they will listen to me straight away, no issues. They know OH is a push over therefore they ignore him to a point and sometimes just ignore him completely as they know if they wait him out he will give up and let them stay where they are. Sending them to a different trainer is not going to change their relationship with my OH.

Me kicking OH's bum and making him be more consistant would have a much better result. But having said that their "misbehaviour" is very mild and is usually things like not moving off the lounge, not any aggression or jumping issues etc.

Wazzats experience sounds good, I would think looking them up would be a very good starting point.

Lincoln is home! :)

:D

Are you having trouble 'containing' him? Just don't leave any butterflies around. :)

He is in his crate so not too much trouble. Don't know how I am supposed to keep him contained for 3 weeks though! :thanks:

You will be surprised at how he will adapt. That's whats so good about dogs, they are generally very adapatable!

I wondered how I was going to keep my big boofa contained for 6 weeks post cruciate op - it wasn't as bad as I expected :thanks:

Some gentle onlead wanders around the garden so he can have a sniff will be as good as anything for Lincoln. :laugh:

Lincoln is home! :)

:laugh:

Are you having trouble 'containing' him? Just don't leave any butterflies around. :)

He is in his crate so not too much trouble. Don't know how I am supposed to keep him contained for 3 weeks though! :)

You will be surprised at how he will adapt. That's whats so good about dogs, they are generally very adapatable!

I wondered how I was going to keep my big boofa contained for 6 weeks post cruciate op - it wasn't as bad as I expected :thanks:

Some gentle onlead wanders around the garden so he can have a sniff will be as good as anything for Lincoln. ;)

The problem is he thinks he is perfectly healthy and wants to go run around with Toby! :D

Also anyone know how to treat razor burn . :thanks: (For Lincoln!)