Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

Guest RosieFT

Mason - you did the right thing. I don't think anyone would choose the hard road without needing to. Why put yourself through that? You would just end up regretting getting the dog and holding it against it for making your life hard. You gave the dog a 'chance' and unfortunately it didn't work out. Even after one day you could see the problems and what the foreseeable future held and you made a decision.

Life is too short, why take on something that creates friction with both your existing dog and your husband?

Bless the oldies......

I took my old girl Lara to training last night. Her face lit up when I asked if she would like to come in the car and then when I took her outside she even managed to jump in the back of the car. Then each time I took her out for a walk at k9 she was wide eyed and bushy tailed, trying to offer heelwork, playing touch with Rally Valley, and always checking out our pockets to see what treats we had.

I thought she would be buggered when we got home, but no her and Cider decided to play ball. It was interesting to watch Cider sitting back not dare trying to take the ball off Lara when she had it. It was very evident that Lara is still the boss.

She is very lame, but she still had plenty of get up and go. Lets hope she doesn't lose that sparkle for a long time yet :)

Awwww how sweet Ptolomy - give the old girl a cuddle from me - I hope Ness has has much get up and go at that age as dear Lars :) .

Gotta love the oldies when they still want to try and work given half a chance :thumbsup: .

Ptolomy that is so cute!!! makes me sad I missed training... not that I have a dog to bring down at the moment!!! Spartan is in deperate need of a haircut and James is at my mum's house... Ari is home last night and has some left over yummy smells which James won't give up on, despite her telling him to bugger off!!

I'm very glad my bitchy is home :) House was a little too peaceful and quiet without her!!

Bless the oldies......

I took my old girl Lara to training last night. Her face lit up when I asked if she would like to come in the car and then when I took her outside she even managed to jump in the back of the car. Then each time I took her out for a walk at k9 she was wide eyed and bushy tailed, trying to offer heelwork, playing touch with Rally Valley, and always checking out our pockets to see what treats we had.

I thought she would be buggered when we got home, but no her and Cider decided to play ball. It was interesting to watch Cider sitting back not dare trying to take the ball off Lara when she had it. It was very evident that Lara is still the boss.

She is very lame, but she still had plenty of get up and go. Lets hope she doesn't lose that sparkle for a long time yet :thumbsup:

She certainly does still have sparkle!!

It's Chloe's 17th birthday tomorrow (maltese), she definitely is slowing down but when she's excited (ie. when my girls come to visit) she barks and runs around like a little puppy - she just can't see anything :) She bumps into everything. Poor duffa! But she's still going strong, still eating well (just a bit on the skinny side).

She is very lame, but she still had plenty of get up and go. Lets hope she doesn't lose that sparkle for a long time yet :thumbsup:

Yay for Lara :( I am sure we all agree with that sentiment :)

Personally I will no longer have two dogs who do not get along living together anymore - my dogs are not kennels dogs that can be constantly seperated, they are members of my family and are with me where ever I am in the house. I didn't realise how stressed I was until I rehomed Robi and now both he and Banjo get the attention they deserve withouth the other missing out :( The right home is out there for Chance and better that home is found now rather than it being a few weeks down the track and Mason still having problems.

ETA: If I had the luxury of taking a year off work to introduce a new dog I might take the time, but given I am away from home for 11 hours each work day it is just not realistic.

Edited by mirawee

Not sure what Mason's issue was last night but he could not settle, he paced around the bedroom for ages, I then took him outside 4x between 11 and 5 because he just seemed unsettled and we did not know what was wrong. He also did shocking work at training last night ( obedience) although he did do 3 great retrieves.

Mas I'm sure he's just trying to settle after a bit of a crazy weekend. His pack structure was upset and he just needs to settle back down.

The best thing you can do is act completely normal and treat him no different because of his anxious behaviour, because if you do that you are only feeding it. Try and go back to exactly how things were last week in the house. Same routines, feeding patterns etc. He'll settle soon as he realises that his owners are relaxed and happy.

Mas I'm sure he's just trying to settle after a bit of a crazy weekend. His pack structure was upset and he just needs to settle back down.

The best thing you can do is act completely normal and treat him no different because of his anxious behaviour, because if you do that you are only feeding it. Try and go back to exactly how things were last week in the house. Same routines, feeding patterns etc. He'll settle soon as he realises that his owners are relaxed and happy.

I thought he was more feeling sick...

you know your dog best Mas!! just from what i read thought it might be the case. If he is stressed and his immune system is being upset, he may show some signs of sickness, just like his hotspots may be caused by the stress.

Whatever it was he seems fine now , just a little tired

She is very lame, but she still had plenty of get up and go. Lets hope she doesn't lose that sparkle for a long time yet :)

Yay for Lara :thumbsup: I am sure we all agree with that sentiment :confused:

Personally I will no longer have two dogs who do not get along living together anymore - my dogs are not kennels dogs that can be constantly seperated, they are members of my family and are with me where ever I am in the house. I didn't realise how stressed I was until I rehomed Robi and now both he and Banjo get the attention they deserve withouth the other missing out :thumbsup: The right home is out there for Chance and better that home is found now rather than it being a few weeks down the track and Mason still having problems.

ETA: If I had the luxury of taking a year off work to introduce a new dog I might take the time, but given I am away from home for 11 hours each work day it is just not realistic.

I won't keep any dog that does not fit into my household, all my animals have to be happy to co-exist, don't have to be the best of mates and minor disagreements are fine but anything beyond that and the troublemaker is gone. I would much rather rehome a dog to a different social situation so that it can have the full benefit of its human companions and I can have a harmonious household that is relaxed with everyone in the same room. I don't believe separation is a good option outside of a kennel situation as there is always the chance of accidents where one dog gets to the other sometimes with disasterous results, and I don't believe having to split my time between divided up dogs is fair on them either, (although I do try to make sure all of the fur and feather kids get a little one on one time each) as I would rather spend the maximum time with them all. My outlook is "A dog that is a bad fit in one household can be an ideal fit in another, why not give it the chance to have its ideal fit."

I have tried the other option and have learn't the hard way that it is not the way for this household. Mason2009, you did the right thing, while the dogs may have learn't to coexist the difference in temperment may have resulted in ongoing issues that would have caused stress for the whole household. Mason is a wonderful boy with a temperment to match and you would not want to risk spoiling this.

Guest english.ivy
Does any one know what the approximate cost of flying a puppy from Sydney to Perth would be?

I might need to factor it into my puppy savings plan :cry:

A lot less than flying a puppy from Hobart to Perth, via Melbourne :laugh:

Ivy cost me just over $300 in freight I think.

A lot less than flying a puppy from Hobart to Perth, via Melbourne :D

Ivy cost me just over $300 in freight I think.

And a lot less than flying 3 critters from the UK to Perth, via Singapore :p :laugh:

Tiggy, it was lovely to meet you and the gorgeous boys this morning :p Job hunting at the moment, but when I've had a chance to go through the pics, I'll let you know :cry:

Tiggy, it was lovely to meet you and the gorgeous boys this morning :cry: Job hunting at the moment, but when I've had a chance to go through the pics, I'll let you know :laugh:

It was lovely to meet you to :D looking forward to the pics.

CareyJ see if you can find someone coming across at the same time as you are flying the pup - costs a lot less as excess than unaccompanied...

Ari cost me over $1100 return trip unaccompanied to Canberra :laugh: (this was recent and she is an adult - cost you a lot less for a pup!!)

Edited by SparkyTansy

CareyJ see if you can find someone coming across at the same time as you are flying the pup - costs a lot less as excess than unaccompanied...

Ari cost me over $1100 return trip unaccompanied to Canberra :laugh: (this was recent and she is an adult - cost you a lot less for a pup!!)

WOW! :cry:

It cost me $750 for a little dog from Chch NZ to Perth! One way mind you.