Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

Hi all,

I arrived to Perth last week. What suprises me is how few dogs there is!? I am from Finland but have been travelling around the world and haven't been seen so few dogs about anywhere else in a city. We have been walking through the city, Kings Park etc. and i've seen less than 10 dogs. How is that possible? Are all dogs in the country side? Well i hope we soon will find a car and start our journey around your beautiful country. Hope I see then much more dogs and other animals :grouphug:

By the way, if someone is looking for a house sitter near future or knows dog or other animal related short period job, pls visit: www.finnishhousesitter.wordpress.com or pm me :confused:

Hi Elina, welcome to sunny Perth :grouphug: Perth and Australia in general is not as "dog friendly" as other countries it seems. Dogs are restricted in many public places, I even don't think you're allowed to walk them down the city mall (though I've seen people do this!) Most of the dogs will unfortunately be at home in people's backyards while they work/shop/whatever, because they just aren't welcome on public transport, cafes, etc unless they are an approved service dog. But those of us who love dogs wish it was more dog friendly!! I'd personally would love to take my dogs on the train and into work with me. Never gonna happen, though!!

I hope you enjoy your stay here. If you want to see lots of dogs, maybe head to one of the dog shows? :confused:

Pea is lovely :grouphug: Will be interesting to hear what first one of your possesions he destroys is. :confused:

Hi all,

I arrived to Perth last week. What suprises me is how few dogs there is!? I am from Finland but have been travelling around the world and haven't been seen so few dogs about anywhere else in a city. We have been walking through the city, Kings Park etc. and i've seen less than 10 dogs. How is that possible? Are all dogs in the country side? Well i hope we soon will find a car and start our journey around your beautiful country. Hope I see then much more dogs and other animals :)

By the way, if someone is looking for a house sitter near future or knows dog or other animal related short period job, pls visit: www.finnishhousesitter.wordpress.com or pm me ;)

Welcome ;) You won't find many dogs in Perth city as most people live out in the suburbs. And those who do live in Perth live in apartment buildings and would be lucky if they are allowed dogs :laugh: I am also reasonably sure that dogs aren't allowed in Kings Park because it is a "National Park" which in Australia = no dogs allowed.

Hmm, we did need a house sitter towards the end of November, but found someone this weekend! Hopefully you find something ;)

I need lots of healing vibes to go to a foal that I bred but is owned by a friend of mine (and she owns the mare and leased the stallion - I just was leasing the mare at time of service...). He was born last night and basically has the equine equivalent to Rhesus factor in humans and so his Mum's colostrum is essentially poisonous to him :) And because his Mum was very collicy after he was born and wouldn't let him drink he had 400ml of her colostrum tubed directly into his stomach as at that stage it wasn't known :D So poor little man is under strict observation as while he is fairly strong atm he could crash fast :laugh:

Dogs are allowed in some parts of Kings Park, but onlead. I don't think there are any off lead areas at Kings Park.

And yes you are right about the apartments and dogs being out in the suburbs :confused: I've seen the odd person walking their dog through the city in the morning so I am guessing they live in one of the apartments, but it's a very rare sight.

Sending healing vibes to the foal!! Poor baby :grouphug:

Pea is lovely :grouphug: Will be interesting to hear what first one of your possesions he destroys is. :confused:
Hi all,

I arrived to Perth last week. What suprises me is how few dogs there is!? I am from Finland but have been travelling around the world and haven't been seen so few dogs about anywhere else in a city. We have been walking through the city, Kings Park etc. and i've seen less than 10 dogs. How is that possible? Are all dogs in the country side? Well i hope we soon will find a car and start our journey around your beautiful country. Hope I see then much more dogs and other animals :)

By the way, if someone is looking for a house sitter near future or knows dog or other animal related short period job, pls visit: www.finnishhousesitter.wordpress.com or pm me ;)

Welcome ;) You won't find many dogs in Perth city as most people live out in the suburbs. And those who do live in Perth live in apartment buildings and would be lucky if they are allowed dogs :laugh: I am also reasonably sure that dogs aren't allowed in Kings Park because it is a "National Park" which in Australia = no dogs allowed.

Hmm, we did need a house sitter towards the end of November, but found someone this weekend! Hopefully you find something ;)

I need lots of healing vibes to go to a foal that I bred but is owned by a friend of mine (and she owns the mare and leased the stallion - I just was leasing the mare at time of service...). He was born last night and basically has the equine equivalent to Rhesus factor in humans and so his Mum's colostrum is essentially poisonous to him :) And because his Mum was very collicy after he was born and wouldn't let him drink he had 400ml of her colostrum tubed directly into his stomach as at that stage it wasn't known :D So poor little man is under strict observation as while he is fairly strong atm he could crash fast :laugh:

oh not good mirawee sending healing vibes to the foal

Milliemoo's CCD title is in the new Canine News :D Yeah yeah, leave me alone, makes me a little happy :) Her other 2 first places in CCD are in the results page :grouphug: Go Moo!! I told Ruby she shouldn't expect to see her name in there, she hasn't been able to pull off a pass lately, let alone first place or enough for another title :confused:

I have a 2007 commodore wagon, just prior to when they changed their shape to th 'sportswagon'... which really has NO space in the boot. We have a nice plastic mat in the boot, that we can just remove and hose out.

We went to Albany in out car, 3 adults, a Std Poodle and a Westie (who was crated for the travel), a trolley and a table, plus our grooming gear, a cabana tent and our own gear. Dont think We could of fit all that in the new wagons LOL

I recently Just sold my 02 VX SS for a new sportswagon. I agree that the new shape doesn't has as much room as the VZ and older models. I just refused to pay the stupid prices for a second hand car with higher km's than my VX.

With one Rott and all his gear there is plenty of room. Two rotts I would be getting a trailer, but thats the plan in the near future anyway :grouphug:

Hi Elina, welcome to sunny Perth :confused: Perth and Australia in general is not as "dog friendly" as other countries it seems. Dogs are restricted in many public places, I even don't think you're allowed to walk them down the city mall (though I've seen people do this!) Most of the dogs will unfortunately be at home in people's backyards while they work/shop/whatever, because they just aren't welcome on public transport, cafes, etc unless they are an approved service dog. But those of us who love dogs wish it was more dog friendly!! I'd personally would love to take my dogs on the train and into work with me. Never gonna happen, though!!

I hope you enjoy your stay here. If you want to see lots of dogs, maybe head to one of the dog shows? :D

It is so sad that dogs are prohibited from so many places. Finland is propably really "undogfriendliness" country in the Europe, since dogs are not allowed to cafés, restaurants or shops, but still dogs are welcome to all parks, outside malls and to public transports. It feels like waste of good park that you are not allowed to these places with dogs, but maybe there is a good reason for that... Australias wild animals I guess? I though saw two dogs at the Kings Park but maybe their owners were just rebellious :grouphug:

And yes, I hope I will be able to visit a dog show and other dog events as well :)

Dogs are allowed in Kings Park, just not all areas :grouphug:

From the Kings Park website:

May I bring my dog into the Park?

Yes, provided it is on a leash and, of course, dog owners are required to clean up any "deposits". Dogs are not admitted to the Wildflower Market Place at the Kings Park Festival or the fenced playground in the Lotterywest Family Area or on the elevated section of the Lotterywest Federation Walkway.

:rofl: My talking babble ball just started talking... then I realised that none of the dogs were anywhere near it! ;) Freaked out now :(

My babble ball does that too! In the middle of the night once and it kinda scared me! :(

I survived night one, he was actually really good :thumbsup: .

He keeps trying to get milk from Sophie and she likes it ;) and Banjo has started playing with him this morning :) .

So cute! Paddy used to try and get milk from Dougal too :D

Pea will now be know as 'Bear' :rofl: or Baby Bear the little bastard bear according to RSG :) .

Sophie is Mumma Bear :(

RSG said he must have been the naughty one cause her pups are nice and quiet now he's gone :( .

I been watching him for two hours already :D I don't think I'll get anything done today ;) .

Now he has a name I can start the name game with him :thumbsup: .

Tiggy, did you end up buying that The Focused Puppy book from Clean Run? You get to put it into practice much sooner than you thought probably :thumbsup: I bought the book, but haven't read it - haven't even opened the cover :) But a pup is years off for me so I think I have time to procrastinate with reading it :(

Tiggy, did you end up buying that The Focused Puppy book from Clean Run? You get to put it into practice much sooner than you thought probably :rofl: I bought the book, but haven't read it - haven't even opened the cover :o But a pup is years off for me so I think I have time to procrastinate with reading it ;)

Yep it's great :laugh: I just have the name game left for day one then I'll start reading week 1 :D