Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

This is just bloody awful... fire is my worst nightmare. Really worried about one of my regular boarding customers, they live just 100m or so away from Old Coach Place on Brookton Highway... been trying to get hold of them with no success yet :laugh:

We also have kennel space available should anyone have family, friends or neighbours who need places for their dogs during these fires, also have crates available to lend out should anyone need them.

Stay safe everyone :)

We had 1 boarder due to leave tonight but they live on Brooktyn h 'way when we found them they where in tears so not sure what they situation is as they where away

We have just over 10 dogs so far due to the fires maybe more latter.

fire in brigadoon right behind my friends house she here now thankfully got her cat and dog out. cat in kennels.

whipit i hope your house is ok.

i have spare crates if anyone needs help i also have a trailer with two crates if anyone wants help getting cats or dogs out.

call on 0449003298

We had 1 boarder due to leave tonight but they live on Brooktyn h 'way when we found them they where in tears so not sure what they situation is as they where away

We have just over 10 dogs so far due to the fires maybe more latter.

bless you :laugh: you are wonderful

Strength to those who are in the fire and its path, my son in law has been out there all day and is returning later tonight. May the wonds die down and no more be lost in this awful situation.

What on earth is the world coming too ? So much bad devastation everywhere

Guest RosieFT

We looked out and saw black smoke very close to us, and travelling at such speed, Ferndale is a suburb right behind ours but they seem to have got it under control. Quite a few water bombers were being used on it, they were coming right over our house, which would have meant fewer able to be used at the other fires. Pretty scary stuff. Hope the horses in Brigadoon got out.. always was my fear when i had horses, worrying about having to get them on a float and out of there, and who first.. horrid.

So many fires at once, poor Firies won't get much of a break.

Sorry to hear about your friend's mum, how awful.

Guest RosieFT

Has anyone had a dog that had to have a toe removed? My FIL's dog has a growth on her toe that has not reponded to antibiotics and so they are assuming cancerous. Is quite $$ to have toe removed and was wondering if worth getting second opinion. Biopsy is offered but that is 1/3 of the cost of removing the toe and then just to see if it is benign or malignant.

FIL not a huge spender on animals, and we have offfered to pay half as she used to be OH's dog before we went to Canada. Dog is kelpie cross who is 16/17 yrs old and has a heart murmour. I am wondering if worth the risk of anaesthetic?!?!?

Guest RosieFT

Ferndale has huge scrub - that is where i walk Rosie sometimes. It has Banister creek and surounding bush, and further round is Kent St Weir which also has bush surrounds. It has lots of scrub... Canning Reginal Park . It appeared to be just north of Kent St Weir and it was the roads surrounding here that were closed off.

I think they must have it out by now, otherwise it would surely have reached houses.

I have known of a few dogs that have had to have toes removed and all have handled it well and had no further issues.

I guess you need to weight up how well the dog is going and wether or not you believe the tumour will cause problems quickly or not.

My old dog has many health issues which are all controlled but means a GA is out of the question, so for me the choice would be leave it until it causes a problem with pain etc then euth.

If the dog is other wise quite healthy then the surgery may mean more years. If you got a biopsy and it came back as benign would you leave it??? if you would then I would biopsy first. If you would remove it due to it causing a mechanical issue with walking etc then just go straight to the toe amputation.

Guest RosieFT

Thank you for that. It started as a small red lump, and has slowly grown over time. She licks it alot, but my SIL (who lives mostly at home still) says it has only recently seems to be causing her to limp - but she says that could be the arthritis too. She is pretty much deaf, and her vision is going. She has been one of those really tough dogs that has never been to the vet in her life (only been vaccinated as a puppy and then once last year when she needed to go into a kennel for the first time).

Because she began life as OH's dog like i said, and his dad took her on when we left for 3yrs to Canada, he feels that we should help out. On our return we offered to have her back, but felt that since his dad took her everywhere with him and since he often was alone at home, he should keep her - and he did. Anyway, if it was my dog i think i would probably do as you would do.

RnR i hope you are ok saw on fb there are fires close to you too

Thanks.. We are one of the lucky ones.. Just alot of smoke and ash. We can actually see the fire in the hills from our back yard..

Water Bombers going over us all day as we are really close to Champion Lake.

Its a terrible sight and can only imaging what those people actually affected by these fires are going through..

I did start getting a few things together just in case, but I am pretty sure we will be fine.. Now if only this wind would go away!