Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

Anyone want to go swimming?

Hi Mirawee,

Would you consider your property for use for a retrieving trial ? I compete in retrieving, and judge, and we are desperate for new sites to hold our events. Biggest problem has been water, and it looks like you have heaps.

By the way, to those gundog owners saying they have to toss up between obedience and retrieving, or agility and retrieving. You don't you know. There are several of us who do two or more disciplines, including retrieving.

Training for retrieving trials is the same as training for any discipline, consistency, building confidence, gathering information, and training often. If you do obedience, you will have no problems with retrieving. Get a toy cap gun and get your pup/dog used to the noise (at a distance at first, then closer), then practise steadiness at heel, then a retrieve on command with a return to in front position. There is lots more of course, but if you have the basics, then go to the training classes, talk to people who trial for advice and suggestions, and have a go. You won't ever have as much fun with your dog, and, your gundog will be doing what he/she is bred for.

hey guys can anyone tell me if training will still be on tonight at the K9 centre? I know its would be wet but the storm appears to have passed out this way.

eta - on second thoughts there is still quite a bit of thunder and lightning, silly me. I hope everyone is ok

Edited by ncarter

Guest belgian.blue
hey guys can anyone tell me if training will still be on tonight at the K9 centre? I know its would be wet but the storm appears to have passed out this way.

eta - on second thoughts there is still quite a bit of thunder and lightning, silly me. I hope everyone is ok

eta - I blame the rain

Edited by belgian.blue

Guest belgian.blue

Storm isn't over, it's just having a break!!!

I'd say don't go and stay safe in the house.

Hi Mirawee,

Would you consider your property for use for a retrieving trial ? I compete in retrieving, and judge, and we are desperate for new sites to hold our events. Biggest problem has been water, and it looks like you have heaps.

By the way, to those gundog owners saying they have to toss up between obedience and retrieving, or agility and retrieving. You don't you know. There are several of us who do two or more disciplines, including retrieving.

Training for retrieving trials is the same as training for any discipline, consistency, building confidence, gathering information, and training often. If you do obedience, you will have no problems with retrieving. Get a toy cap gun and get your pup/dog used to the noise (at a distance at first, then closer), then practise steadiness at heel, then a retrieve on command with a return to in front position. There is lots more of course, but if you have the basics, then go to the training classes, talk to people who trial for advice and suggestions, and have a go. You won't ever have as much fun with your dog, and, your gundog will be doing what he/she is bred for.

I would love to do retrieving with my lab but the retrieving training is on the same day as my obedience training, will definately join next year when I will train obedience mostly on my own when I know what I am doing...!!

I hope everyone has survived the storm! It took me 3.5 hours to get home from Nedlands today which is 2 hours longer than usual! Major damage in Nedlands as well with lots of cars damaged some completely :laugh: Also Charles Gairdner Hospital and UWA have both suffered a lot of flooding, broken windows and collapsed ceilings.

Fetchindawgs, I have no idea if our property would be suitable or not but I would be happy to talk to my parents and then find out more. Problem with our property is 1) we have horses on there so I don't know how gundogs would react to them (they are used to shooting so that isn't a problem LOL) although I guess they could be kept away anyway and 2) near the "lake" that my dogs are swimming in we have fish ponds for commercial aquaculture so dogs aren't really allowed to go into there and not all of them are fenced off. Oh and we have 4 geese that we would need to figure out how to temporarily remove.

We certainly have an oversupply of ducks though so you could even try some real duck hunting :laugh:

Hi Mirawee,

I know there are plenty of people who compete in several different disciplines, and I admire them greatly! But as I am relatively new to the training world (3 years), have 2 dogs, and work full time, I just don't feel I could adequately split my time between training different disciplines and get the best out of my dogs. I feel in a few years time when I have more experience under my belt, I may branch out, but for the moment, I'd really like to use my limited spare time in getting the best I can out of my dogs in obedience and agility :whee: I tried retrieving, but due to personal commitments, couldn't keep up with it. I'd really like to try it again, but as per above, want more experience under my belt. Retrieving appears very daunting with sooooooo much to train, that in the future I would like to dedicate training to that solely for a little while (and hopefully get lucky and find someone experienced in retrieving who wouldn't mind taking me under their wing for a little while!! Though I know that is very unlikely :cheer:) That of course means I need to stick with gundogs, and my next dog wasn't going to be a gundog :):thumbsup:

Edited by RubyStar

Which gundogs do you have fetchindawgs?

I love the name "fetchindawgs" :)

Every time someone mentions retrieving, I get sad! I so desperately want to try it with Ruby again, she seemed so keen when I tried it with her last year, but like I said, retrieving is so daunting without proper guidance! :thumbsup:

Hi Mirawee,

Hey fetchindawgs do you mean using Mirawee's property for training or comps? I remember speaking to someone once who had a good body of water on their property but the club insisted that they required natural bodies of water in order to use it... is this still the case?

The biggest issue i have with my "retriever" is that she can't keep the freaking thing in her mouth!! she likes to drop it as soon as she returns, and no matter what i try (albiet little and not often), she just doesn't know how to make that connection between the hold when i hand it to her and the hold when she returns! ARGH!