Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

RottiesNRags- I love Rotties, all the ones I have met have been the sookiest cuddliest dogs :) .

Hi Dollychi not sure about chi owners in Perth but in the breed sub forum section thier is a thread just for chi discussion and they should know there.

RS - it's likely you will see some...

Shows coming up:

All breeds Champ show - 16 Jan - start time 6pm

Allbreeds Champ Show - 23 Jan - Start time 6.30pm

All breedsChamp show - 24 Jan - Start time 6.30pm

All breeds champ show - 30 Jan - Start time 6pm

and - Western Classic Group 5 (Aussies) will be

Saturday 27 Feb 6pm

Sunday 28 Feb 6pm

(English Setters will be on the same days too btw :) :D)

Thankyou!!! A night where I get to see Aussies AND English Setters sounds great! Will have to do Sunday though, as I'm entering the obedience trial on Saturday night (unless I find a chance to wander up Sat night). Last year at the Classic I was there all 4 nights, competing one night and stewarding the other 3. I felt like I lived there that weekend :)

Valleywa - I wanna meet your baby Chessie, too!

Ooh SparkyTansy you're a champ! That's right near me too! I'm so exited!

Do you know when the Cavaliers will be on at all, I won't be able to make it to the Sunday one as I probably won't be able to get off work :) so I hope it's not then!

:) Aah! Exited!

Are you taking Millie RubyStar? I'm not doing the classic, we're not ready, I'm in no rush though, the fun is in the training :hug: .

Nah, not taking Millie, she's not ready yet either and I'm also in no rush to push her.

I'll be entering Ruby, but don't envision great things. The Novice judge is also a conformation judge, so he takes his Stand For Exam's seriously :hug: There is no way Ruby is going to stand still for a proper going over at this point in time! But we'll enter, maybe just maybe, somewhere along the line, we'll be able to stand still and pull a pass out of our bum :laugh:

hey RS, I haven't had a dog in obedience trials before, but i always find that the obedience stand for examinationi is more serious than conformation!! Ari always moves more than two feet during conformation showing, and I am really worried when we first go for our obedience trial what she will do!!

The obedience stand for exam is more serious than in conformation due to the fact that the dog cannot move their feet at all in obedience!! If they move one or two feet, they lose points, move 3 or 4 feet and you've failed. The aim of the SFE is to stand rock solid!

A lot of obedience judges I've seen, especially in the lower classes (CCD/Novice), do a quickish pat over their back then walk away, but I have seen this conformation judge do a Novice obedience SFE before and he stands there going over their legs, back and rump. I don't think many dogs at Novice level will be solid enough for this! Least of all my wiggle butt :thumbsup: I can't believe we got through CCD with how bad her SFE's are! As you can imagine, getting a more solid SFE is on the top of my list this year!! :laugh:

Edited by RubyStar

Is anybody able to give me some directions to Kwinana dog beach? Is it well signed to show it is a dog beach? A couple of us are thinking of going there this weekend but not sure where it is!

Hey katie, found this when I googled - OK it's for horses but the dog beach can't be far?! :(

Kwinana Horse Beach

Reading that thread, everyone says Kwinana is better than Whitfords! Must be some beach hey? :)

The CY O'Connor Beach in Cockburn is the same as the Kwinana Beach, it has a few different names.

It's not a bad dog beach but is quite popular, lots of dogs off lead but not always supervised by their owners, can be seaweedy at times but generally ok. We used to go alot but having greyhounds that have to be muzzeled and kept on lead wasn't fair on them when other breeds would come up and 'have a go', we heard of a couple of greys that were attacked and we haven't been back since. Shame but what do you do..

The CY O'Connor Beach in Cockburn is the same as the Kwinana Beach, it has a few different names.

It's not a bad dog beach but is quite popular, lots of dogs off lead but not always supervised by their owners, can be seaweedy at times but generally ok. We used to go alot but having greyhounds that have to be muzzeled and kept on lead wasn't fair on them when other breeds would come up and 'have a go', we heard of a couple of greys that were attacked and we haven't been back since. Shame but what do you do..

I was at Riverside Gardens last night and noticed a few greyhounds there, running free and not muzzled. I did wonder if the laws had changed. The dogs weren't a problem at all, in fact I could easily have snuck one home with me :(

I was at Riverside Gardens last night and noticed a few greyhounds there, running free and not muzzled. I did wonder if the laws had changed. The dogs weren't a problem at all, in fact I could easily have snuck one home with me :(

I was at a dog park a few weeks ago and a lady had her greyhound offlead and unmuzzled. I was worried sick because the park is on a main road and her dogs (also had a whippet loose) weren't listening to a thing she said, she had no control. They were very friendly and gorgeous dogs though.

I was at Riverside Gardens last night and noticed a few greyhounds there, running free and not muzzled. I did wonder if the laws had changed. The dogs weren't a problem at all, in fact I could easily have snuck one home with me :eek:

I was at a dog park a few weeks ago and a lady had her greyhound offlead and unmuzzled. I was worried sick because the park is on a main road and her dogs (also had a whippet loose) weren't listening to a thing she said, she had no control. They were very friendly and gorgeous dogs though.

That is a worry, hope she smartens up soon, but I doubt it!

Kwinana dog beach isn't the same as CY O'Connor beach... Kwinana dog beach is in Kwinana...

I go to both - CY Connor beach is about 10 minutes drive from me, but I always opt for Kwinana beach which is more like a 20 minute drive. It has a large grassed area, and the beach there is usually a lot calmer. I prefer this beach to CY o'connor because the sand area is larger and it is never quite as busy - i also find CY O'Connor beach watera little murkier probably because the sand is mega fine and sticks to everything!!

RS, it isn't too hard to get to.... if you go down the freeway south get off on Thomas road exit and turn right onto thomas road, go to the end of thomas road and turn left onto rockingham road. I think you go through a set or two of lights then there is a sign anda slip road with traffic lights to turn right (called Kwinana beach Road). go down this road, and turn left AFTER the train track. follow this around and you will come to a big bend to turn left (there is a deli on the corner). keep going along there it is a lot of park land... you will see a big blue Silo andthat meeans you are getting close, and itis much easier to find now, because it is i think the one and only roundabout on that road... so, when you get to the roundabout, turn right into the car park... you will see a few scattered gazebos and bbqs, anda toilet block to your right you will know you have the right beach. Always best to go in the morning, mostly because the water is beautiful. Last weekend i went on new years day and the water was so calm,and there was a sand bar/shallow tide all the way out probably about 50m before it dropped to the most beautiful warm water you can imagine...and so beautifully crystal clear. if you ignore the big silo in the water it is the most beautiful beach...

i am glad it doesn't have a review on the net... means less people will go there.

Edited by SparkyTansy

I was at Riverside Gardens last night and noticed a few greyhounds there, running free and not muzzled. I did wonder if the laws had changed. The dogs weren't a problem at all, in fact I could easily have snuck one home with me :)

No the laws haven't changed yet unfortunately and it's still illegal to have a Greyhound in a public place not muzzled and very dangerous to have them off lead in an unfenced area especially when the owners have very little control (because they can see upto 1km away and nothing will stop them once they are off and running - especially a road!). GAP WA have been trying to get the laws changed for some years now as Greys are not at all vicious it's just a law from way way back and doesn't take into account ex racers as opposed to racing dogs. We have Greyhound playgroup every Sunday around Perth in a huge fenced off area where they can run to their hearts content, it's great to watch!

Thanks for the tip about Kwinana Beach, I asked around and everyone I spoke to thought it was one and the same, might be worth a visit then to see if it's quieter than Cockburn.

Anyone considering taking dogs down to Naval Base (the horse beach in Kwinana) please don't if you dog is not horse Savvy! Last Sunday there were 78 horses down there and the last thing we need is a dog running around that doesn't know what they are! It isn't uncommon for horses to attack dogs that get in their faces either.

It is the main reason I now take my horses to Naval Base rather than Hillaries Horse Beach. Too many dog people don't seem to think that the rule that dogs must be on lead in the horse area doesn't apply to them. Have had a couple of bad incidents although luckily noone was hurt, however one dog nearly drowned itself (twice) trying to follow us into the water when it couldn't swim!