Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

Am I reading right in that there won't be any agility trials after the Nationals until 6th June? Crikey! (not including Bunbury and Gero)

Lol you will just have to come to dog shows :p

Toby won't even be able to go the 6th of June because I have a Rally Seminar.

There's a fair gap in obedience trials after this weekend too, me thinks :laugh: Hate long waits, especially now that I am just chasing one more pass for her CD title!

I've only just started agility and I am getting hooked! Can't wait to be at trialling stage there in about 5 years :rofl:

It will only take 5 years if you wait till your perfect. If you copy me and start trialling before you dog knows weaves or contacts and had only done a broad jump about 7 times you could start in just over 6 months of training :D .

:rofl:

RS- ok I am in. Can you, Amy or anyone else point me in the right direction with regards to sizing, parts etc??? I think you guys use 25mm pvc??? what are the cups made from? lengths?? :-)

thanks in advance :-)

I'll bring one of mine down next week so you can take a look and I'll let you know what you need to buy :rofl:

The jump cups come from the USA unless you want to make them, which I'm led to believe is quite painful :laugh:

I currently have a drop saw too so I can cut the PVC all nice and square if you don't want to use a hacksaw. :rofl:

RS- ok I am in. Can you, Amy or anyone else point me in the right direction with regards to sizing, parts etc??? I think you guys use 25mm pvc??? what are the cups made from? lengths?? :-)

thanks in advance :-)

I'll bring one of mine down next week so you can take a look and I'll let you know what you need to buy :p

The jump cups come from the USA unless you want to make them, which I'm led to believe is quite painful :rofl:

I currently have a drop saw too so I can cut the PVC all nice and square if you don't want to use a hacksaw. :rofl:

Geez NOW you mention that! :laugh: Cutting my pvc with the wrong kind of saw was a painful experience! I still have more jumps to make so might have to use your drop saw :D

I have only made 3 jumps, which is probably enough for now. Just enough room in the backyard to have them set up :laugh: I leant a plank of wood I have for my solid jump against it last night cos I was too lazy to set up the solid jump - I might just do this in future, so much easier :rofl:

Hey... has anyone had your dog(s) groomed at either Posh Pooch in Cloverdale or Bobby Dazzler in Midland? If yes, any good? Would you recommend them? Pls do share if u have others to recommend in Perth.

I wanna bring lil' Ozzie in for a trim...also to start getting him accustom to the whole grooming salon environment. I've started brushing him since the first week we got him and even tried trimming him myself. Took me almost an hour to trim his 2 hind paws :rofl:... but that's abt as far as I dare to try... I'm pretty sure that I'll poke into his eyes if I try to trim his face! Better leave tat to the pros... :thumbsup:

Thanks!!

The jump cups come from the USA unless you want to make them, which I'm led to believe is quite painful :rofl:

It isn't painful at all if you con your father into doing it :rofl: I think I have enough cups for 5 more jumps now (or possibly 10?) Will need to finish making them :thumbsup:

Hey... has anyone had your dog(s) groomed at either Posh Pooch in Cloverdale or Bobby Dazzler in Midland? If yes, any good? Would you recommend them? Pls do share if u have others to recommend in Perth.

If you mean the one on Archer Street in Carlisle, don't EVER go there unless you are happy for your dog to be literally beaten into submission :thumbsup:

I could tell you a story or two from my own experience.

Apparently there is a very good groomer on Albany Highway in Vic Park or East Vic Park (can't remember which) and a lot of the regulars at my local dog park go there. A few of them could also tell you horror stories about the afore mentioned groomers.

I wanna bring lil' Ozzie in for a trim...also to start getting him accustom to the whole grooming salon environment. I've started brushing him since the first week we got him and even tried trimming him myself. Took me almost an hour to trim his 2 hind paws :rofl:... but that's abt as far as I dare to try... I'm pretty sure that I'll poke into his eyes if I try to trim his face! Better leave tat to the pros... :thumbsup:

Thanks!!

I might be mistaken buy I think the lady from Train A Pup Time is also a groomer and I can vouch for her being very gentle and patient.

Guest RosieFT

umm, yes, this is where i admit i plan to get my OH to actually make these things! Luckily for me he is quite handy with things like this.... we may even have a drop saw... hmm or we borrowed one from my FIL.. otherwise yours sounds great Amy :-) thanks.

how difficult can making the cups be??? can't you just use halved poly pipes?? or is that too simplistic... should they fall easily? ok am going to 'google god' for help hee hee

One of our WA forum members owns (I think :rofl:) Bobby Dazzlers :rofl:

Have only heard good reviews but my dogs don't get salon treatments so it isn't first hand :thumbsup:

Thinking of pleading with her into tacking Cider before her first show - but not sure how far friendships can stretch :D

Fetchindawgs I have a question too. I have brought a bumper that is a good size for Lincoln and I have been working on getting him to love it and making it very special (he will now happily pick it up and walk around with it). Now where do I go from here without ruining him?

Hi, I probably need a little more information on anything else you have done with Lincoln, but will attempt to put you on the right track. You say that he loves his bumper; which is good in a way, as we want our dogs to enjoy picking them up, but, we also need the dog to know the bumper belongs to me, and is not his. He is fetching it for ME and then giving it to ME. Although your dog will enjoy fetching a bumper, the joy should be fetching and giving, then waiting for another fetch. The excitement is in the act. So, now with Lincoln, will he sit next to you and fetch from your hand held straight in front of his face ? Again, have an exciting tone to your voice when you request him to fetch, then praise him, when he does it. He must get into the habit of immediately attempting to take the bumper in his mouth upon your command. Then he must hold it. You can stroke his head while he holds, whilst praising him. If you use a clicker, then click the moment he takes the bumper in his mouth. Only trouble if you click and treat is he might drop the bumper in anticipation of the treat, so just hold off on that, stroke him, praise him, ask him to give, then again click and treat. From this you should progress to little retrieves. Keep him on a lead up to about 10 foot long, so that you always have control. You can rev him up before doing your little throw, if you wish, otherwise without bothering at this stage to sit him, throw the bumper about 8 feet and let him retrieve it. No holding him, just let him go for it. When he picks it up, make a big thing of it, happily, and call him into you. You could run backwards with high excited sounds, to encourage him. No formal presents for puppies just starting, just concentrate on him coming back to you with the bumper, and, don't be in a hurry to take it from him at this stage. Make sure he doesn't chew on the bumper at any time; it isn't his play toy, but is a fun pastime to do with you, when you want to do it. If I can help with any other questions, feel free. I'll do my best.

Thinking of pleading with her into tacking Cider before her first show - but not sure how far friendships can stretch :rofl:

Oooh! When is Cider's first show? :thumbsup: Wonder if it is a day I can come and be cheer squad :rofl:

If you mean the one on Archer Street in Carlisle, don't EVER go there unless you are happy for your dog to be literally beaten into submission :mad

I could tell you a story or two from my own experience.

Apparently there is a very good groomer on Albany Highway in Vic Park or East Vic Park (can't remember which) and a lot of the regulars at my local dog park go there. A few of them could also tell you horror stories about the afore mentioned groomers.

Goodness what happened to urs?! I hope ur pooch has recovered from watever trauma he/she's gotten... n u too :rofl: Appreciate the heads up tho, thanks!

I wanna bring lil' Ozzie in for a trim...also to start getting him accustom to the whole grooming salon environment. I've started brushing him since the first week we got him and even tried trimming him myself. Took me almost an hour to trim his 2 hind paws :rofl:... but that's abt as far as I dare to try... I'm pretty sure that I'll poke into his eyes if I try to trim his face! Better leave tat to the pros... :laugh:

Thanks!!

I might be mistaken buy I think the lady from Train A Pup Time is also a groomer and I can vouch for her being very gentle and patient.

Thanks ValleyCBR. I'll go check on her website again later.

One of our WA forum members owns (I think :p) Bobby Dazzlers ;)

Have only heard good reviews but my dogs don't get salon treatments so it isn't first hand :rofl:

Yeah, I've read some where that ppl were recommending Bobby Dazzlers and it's relatively close to me, so there's another plus point. Thanks :)

Fetchindawgs I have a question too. I have brought a bumper that is a good size for Lincoln and I have been working on getting him to love it and making it very special (he will now happily pick it up and walk around with it). Now where do I go from here without ruining him?

Hi, I probably need a little more information on anything else you have done with Lincoln, but will attempt to put you on the right track. You say that he loves his bumper; which is good in a way, as we want our dogs to enjoy picking them up, but, we also need the dog to know the bumper belongs to me, and is not his. He is fetching it for ME and then giving it to ME. Although your dog will enjoy fetching a bumper, the joy should be fetching and giving, then waiting for another fetch. The excitement is in the act. So, now with Lincoln, will he sit next to you and fetch from your hand held straight in front of his face ? Again, have an exciting tone to your voice when you request him to fetch, then praise him, when he does it. He must get into the habit of immediately attempting to take the bumper in his mouth upon your command. Then he must hold it. You can stroke his head while he holds, whilst praising him. If you use a clicker, then click the moment he takes the bumper in his mouth. Only trouble if you click and treat is he might drop the bumper in anticipation of the treat, so just hold off on that, stroke him, praise him, ask him to give, then again click and treat. From this you should progress to little retrieves. Keep him on a lead up to about 10 foot long, so that you always have control. You can rev him up before doing your little throw, if you wish, otherwise without bothering at this stage to sit him, throw the bumper about 8 feet and let him retrieve it. No holding him, just let him go for it. When he picks it up, make a big thing of it, happily, and call him into you. You could run backwards with high excited sounds, to encourage him. No formal presents for puppies just starting, just concentrate on him coming back to you with the bumper, and, don't be in a hurry to take it from him at this stage. Make sure he doesn't chew on the bumper at any time; it isn't his play toy, but is a fun pastime to do with you, when you want to do it. If I can help with any other questions, feel free. I'll do my best.

Sounds like a plan. I just need to teach the feral little boy to sit now :laugh: . The bumper is like a 'treat' to him. He is allowed it once a day and I always take it away when he is having a blast and not ready to give it up! I will be teaching him sit this week (it's about time) :rofl: and will start this more formal bumper work next week. At the moment I am giving it to him and having him hold it while I walk him arond a little, then getting it back.

Thinking of pleading with her into tacking Cider before her first show - but not sure how far friendships can stretch :rofl:

Oooh! When is Cider's first show? :rofl: Wonder if it is a day I can come and be cheer squad :rofl:

24th April :laugh: