Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

We are looking after my parents' bichon (my dad has offered me the use of lily for agility if rosie can't do it hee hee, told him my friend would never let me live it down... hmmmmm would you Amy??? LOL)

:swing:

That's nice of them though!

She will be doing resistant training in the future where she has to pull against an elastic band thing... was wondering if i could teach her how with that magical clicker you gave me amy???? Apparantly the most difficult thing is getting the dog to understand it has to resist.

Yeah I reckon you could - if you want to get started just get some treats and CLICK then feed her a treat several times in a row to get her learning that CLICK = right thing + reward

oh, we saw Tin tin the movie yesterday and i was so happy to see snowy :-) .. super fox terrier (albeit a wire)... there were a few true dog moments .. they were running through a ship and the humans went across a metal grid and snowy just stopped and stared at it.. as a dog would :-) .

Wish Trixie would stop and look at them she always falls down them! And the ones near RS's house where we walk sometimes have massive gaps!

on another note, where have you been????!?!

Popped up the coast for a few days, was interesting :rofl:

hmmm well that would solve my white hair floor problem....

Labrador owner says: rofl1.gifrofl1.gifrofl1.gif

RFT you should know better than to complain about hair in front of Lab owners etc :rofl:

Guest RosieFT

Mirawee I just have the one puppy in - Lulu was the one that won the minor in groups - Poor JT!! he did so well in baby but never quite got the class in groups and yet he always beat his sister.

RS you have to win a Baby, Minor or Puppy in Group to be eligible.

emery great news about your friend :)

i've not been to a POTY before so not quite sure what to expect. Is there a lot of standing around or is there a lot more stacking than usual? i don't want Lulu to get bored.

I thought JT had won a Baby in Group :( Oh well at least you have one in :)

The year I did it with Banjo we had three judges and went into the ring in groups of 3 and had to go from judge to judge stacking the dog each time for them to assess. But most were tolerant of the fact that it was weird for the babies so they were less likely to stand still after the first dog. Then once all three dogs had been gone over they were moved one at a time for the movement assessment. This year I saw somewhere that the judges will move to the dog rather than the other way around :) But again it will be 3 judges and they each give the dog a score.

We are looking after my parents' bichon (my dad has offered me the use of lily for agility if rosie can't do it hee hee, told him my friend would never let me live it down... hmmmmm would you Amy??? LOL) and Lily thinks the hill stuff is crazy.

I want to see a Bichon doing agility :thumbsup: I am sure we can sit on Amy so she can't offer any objections :D

See Amy! Lily would be great, ahem.. might have to lose some weight..... heee like the visual of you amy being sat on hehe :rofl:

I want to see a Bichon doing agility :thumbsup: I am sure we can sit on Amy so she can't offer any objections :D

:provoke: :nahnah:

Hey I got a new dog book for Christmas and they have Manchester terriers in it (and a really plain, slightly fat looking yellow lab - need Ruby in there to show a good specimen!) anyway, they say they are a high spirited, very intelligent and cunning dog which is eager to learn, lively and sportive blah blah and bonds very closely with its handler. :D i thought it described her very well. It says some other stuff, but also says they are ideal to excersize along side a bike because they can run very fast and keep up the speed for a long time.

Ooohh what book is it? Does it mention that they are batshit crazy? :rofl:

Guest RosieFT

We are looking after my parents' bichon (my dad has offered me the use of lily for agility if rosie can't do it hee hee, told him my friend would never let me live it down... hmmmmm would you Amy??? LOL)

:swing:

That's nice of them though!

She will be doing resistant training in the future where she has to pull against an elastic band thing... was wondering if i could teach her how with that magical clicker you gave me amy???? Apparantly the most difficult thing is getting the dog to understand it has to resist.

Yeah I reckon you could - if you want to get started just get some treats and CLICK then feed her a treat several times in a row to get her learning that CLICK = right thing + reward

oh, we saw Tin tin the movie yesterday and i was so happy to see snowy :-) .. super fox terrier (albeit a wire)... there were a few true dog moments .. they were running through a ship and the humans went across a metal grid and snowy just stopped and stared at it.. as a dog would :-) .

Wish Trixie would stop and look at them she always falls down them! And the ones near RS's house where we walk sometimes have massive gaps!

on another note, where have you been????!?!

Popped up the coast for a few days, was interesting :rofl:

hmmm well that would solve my white hair floor problem....

Labrador owner says: rofl1.gifrofl1.gifrofl1.gif

RFT you should know better than to complain about hair in front of Lab owners etc :rofl:

hmm have to work out how to break up the quotes or use the bits i need.. tried once before and it stuffed up...

ok, will get onto clicker training once lily is gone.. she is greeeeeedy...

ahh as that the lancelin reference? did you try camping or wind surfing?

labrador coat at least, is soft, not spiky ... but i cannot really complain.. except for the change of coat, if you don't hug her or let her on upholstry, the white hairs are minimal :-)

we had a black lab growing up and not only was there black hairs, my mum would have to scrub the walls as she would leave oil/dirt where she lay against the walls. But she was a lovely, lovely dog. I do like labs.

Guest RosieFT

:laugh: hee let me check... ummm, nope, fails to mention that....... :rofl:

Can't believe she steps on the grids though... that is a touch, *special* , never had a dog that did that...

it is the Complete encyclopedia of dogs by esther verhoeff.. nothing earth shattering, but bit more up to date than the one i have had for years the vogel one.. i like looking at the photos and reading up on dogs :-) ...

last year my dad gave me that beautiful coffee table book called 'dogs'.. Tim Flachs..

lets see what else it says for you... oh do you use a chamois-leather to keep the coat shiny? keep ears clean and claws short ( :rofl:)

Character: this is a high spirited, very intelligent and cunning dog that is eager to learn, lively and sportive, alert and vigilant, barks normally only when there is danger, and bonds very closely with its handler.

training; - this dog likes to please its handler and learns quite quickly. They can be outstanding in activities like agility skills and fly ball, but they also do well in obedience trials.

social behaviour- some of the dogs can be rather dominant towards their own kind but htey get on well with children. It is advisable to get them used to cats and other household animals quite early on.

They make exceptional watchdogs becasue despite their size,they do not hesitate to go into action when necessary. They are also first rate rat and mole catchers... (watch out moles... LOL) .

excersize - demands plenty of excersize. in addition to daily walks, let it run and play off lead regularly. run really fast use bike blah blah

we had a black lab growing up and not only was there black hairs, my mum would have to scrub the walls as she would leave oil/dirt where she lay against the walls. But she was a lovely, lovely dog. I do like labs.

:o I was horrified to find my skirting filthy in certain areas where the dogs lay... nothing like getting up close to paint them to find the horror! eek1.gif

it is the Complete encyclopedia of dogs by esther verhoeff.. nothing earth shattering, but bit more up to date than the one i have had for years the vogel one.. i like looking at the photos and reading up on dogs :-) ...

Does it include Finnish Lapphunds? :D

:laugh: hee let me check... ummm, nope, fails to mention that....... :rofl:

Can't believe she steps on the grids though... that is a touch, *special* , never had a dog that did that...

lets see what else it says for you... oh do you use a chamois-leather to keep the coat shiny? keep ears clean and claws short ( :rofl:)

Character: this is a high spirited, very intelligent and cunning dog that is eager to learn, lively and sportive, alert and vigilant, barks normally only when there is danger, and bonds very closely with its handler.

training; - this dog likes to please its handler and learns quite quickly. They can be outstanding in activities like agility skills and fly ball, but they also do well in obedience trials.

social behaviour- some of the dogs can be rather dominant towards their own kind but htey get on well with children. It is advisable to get them used to cats and other household animals quite early on.

They make exceptional watchdogs becasue despite their size,they do not hesitate to go into action when necessary. They are also first rate rat and mole catchers... (watch out moles... LOL) .

excersize - demands plenty of excersize. in addition to daily walks, let it run and play off lead regularly. run really fast use bike blah blah

Sounds about right... and I do TRY to keep those bloody nails short!! :mad Bloody freak dog!

Dunno about VERY intelligent though :rofl:

Guest RosieFT

Does it include Finnish Lapphunds? :D

It does! :-)

it says... character: this is a friendly, intelligent and sociable dog which wants to work for its handler, is very active, energetic. Tough on itself and affectionate.

training: the FL is intelligent and keen to learn and therefore makes an excellent pupil. it can compete on level terms with the best in dog sports such as flyball and agility skills trials.

social behaviour: this dog is naturally very sociable. It gts on extremely well with children and in normal circumstances can take a great deal from them. it also gets on well with other household animals and dogs.

The FL is alert in the sense that it will warn you of visitors but it is too gentle natured to defend your property.

Excersize

this breed needs substantial exersize and running alongside a cycle is one of the possibilities, but it will also really enjoy long walks through woods. its sheepdog instincts will keep it close to you and prevent it from wandering off.

:-)

sounds like a wonderful dog to me!

Yay :D Sounds good except for the working ability... They forgot to put "is a Spitz so will sometimes decide 'not today, thanks'" :rofl:

We were talking about guard dog ability last night and agree that the Lappies would bark initially then go and ask for pats :p

How about Australian Kelpie? :D

Edited by mirawee

Guest RosieFT

heee lucky i can touch type hey RS? :-)

ok... just for you guys..

whippets.. :

care: little grooming blah blah... some examples have a predisposition to tartar but this can be kept in check by giving them something to chew. Keep the claws trimmed short.

character:

these dogs are affectionate, cuddly and lovely with children. They are also intelligent but not particularly obedient, cheerful, peacable, playful, a touch obstinate, and sometimes also vigilant.

training"

introduce plenty of vareity into a whippet's training. The best results are achieved by interspersing games and running but remember that this will never be an unreservedly obedient dog.

social behaviour

whippets are usually very good with children but they tend not to be too fond of strangers. They will invariably warn you of visitors. They are very tolerant of other dogs and there is rarely any difficulty.

The tendency to chase everything that moves quickly is inborn in them. The household cat, to which the dog has grown accustomed, will be left along.

excercise

the whippet is a small grehound, meaning that its entire body is built for racing and hunting. Understandably they need plenty of excercise. In some countries they may not be allowed to run freely off lead, in common with other dogs that hunt by sight.

In these circumstances cycle with the dog or join an organization that races whippets so that you can let the dog live its life fully on the race track.

Guest RosieFT

Labrador Retriever

Character:

this is a friendly, good natured, intelligent dog that is keen to work, is obedient, sociable, affectionate, pliable, sensible, thoughtful, loyal, with an outstanding good scenting nose. Labradors mature quite late bodily and mentally.

Training

The LR is an intelligent dog that is not difficult to train because it leans quickly and likes to work for its handler. It is a great pity if such a dog can do nothing more than be a pet. They are excellent field sports and search dogs, but they also excel in obedience competitions. If you partake in any of these activities, you will see how much pleasure it gives this dog.

social behaviour

this breed usually gets on fine with other dogs and animals. with children they are both patient and good natured but that is not strange because they are trued friends to humans, which does not make them particularly vigilant.

excercise

They will adapt themselves completely to your family but do not forget they need quite a lot of excercise. Take them for fairly long walks and give them the chance to run and play off the lead. They are crazy about water and retrieving.

Guest RosieFT

Yay :D Sounds good except for the working ability... They forgot to put "is a Spitz so will sometimes decide 'not today, thanks'" :rofl:

We were talking about guard dog ability last night and agree that the Lappies would bark initially then go and ask for pats :p

How about Australian Kelpie? :D

We have a big fat FAIL! Aus. Terrier, Aus. Shepherd and Aus. Cattle Dog.. but no kelpie!!!!

It also fails as it lumps smooth and wire fox terriers under same banner...

but apart from that, it is a fun read :-)

Guest RosieFT

ok am off to adventure world, but just quickly it has both tollers AND Xoloitzcuintli!!!!

and is from the Netherlands!!!

and was only $5 from the book sale places they had around just before Christmas :-)