Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

ok am off to adventure world, but just quickly it has both tollers AND Xoloitzcuintli!!!!

and is from the Netherlands!!!

and was only $5 from the book sale places they had around just before Christmas :-)

Strange that it doesn't have Kelpies then as they are shown in the Netherlands! Oh well, I wuv my wittle Aussie dogs :p

Very good buy for $5 :)

Wnjoy Adventure World :D

If anyone remembers me posting not long ago about Millie getting bitten by an ant on her girly bits, I have the world of sympathy for her. I was bitten (at the same park) on my leg when I knelt down and over 2 hours later it is still aching! Need to keep it numb with ice. Ruby also was bitten on her paw but she's a tougher chickie than me. She laid down and licked it, then held it up, then was fine and had to endure the walk home. It's me who suffered more!!

Shame about that park, it was rather good for retrieving training as I could hide dummies amongst the bushes and use the lake for water stuff! Stupid ants :(

Guest RosieFT

it seems the writer of this book likes to promote cycling with your dog!!

well it is from the Netherlands.... need I say more? LOL

The complete encyclopedia of DOGS

Esther Verhoef

ISBN 978-90-366-1499-3

:-)

RS - ouch, they are annoying those ants. Are they the ones with the big head? just under a cm long? or perhaps 0.8cm? My son got bitten twice at the park yesterday. Paraderm and then only really ice seemed to help. When he was a toddler he said on a nest and got them all over him. he had bites all over, even under his nappy :( He was screaming.

heee lucky i can touch type hey RS? :-)

ok... just for you guys..

whippets.. :

care: little grooming blah blah... some examples have a predisposition to tartar but this can be kept in check by giving them something to chew. Keep the claws trimmed short.

character:

these dogs are affectionate, cuddly and lovely with children. They are also intelligent but not particularly obedient, cheerful, peacable, playful, a touch obstinate, and sometimes also vigilant.

Um don't really agree with some of these. Mine are very obedient and far easier to train than my Dobes or Stafford. And they are never obstinant. If by vigilant they actually take note someone has turned up or bark - well nope but I have heard some will

training"

introduce plenty of vareity into a whippet's training. The best results are achieved by interspersing games and running but remember that this will never be an unreservedly obedient dog.

Disagree!

social behaviour

whippets are usually very good with children but they tend not to be too fond of strangers. They will invariably warn you of visitors. They are very tolerant of other dogs and there is rarely any difficulty.

The tendency to chase everything that moves quickly is inborn in them. The household cat, to which the dog has grown accustomed, will be left along.

While Lewis is definately more my dog he will bug anyone to sit on their lap and get pats. Rommi is a total pat-me-tart and will go to and with anyone!

excercise

the whippet is a small grehound, meaning that its entire body is built for racing and hunting. Understandably they need plenty of excercise. In some countries they may not be allowed to run freely off lead, in common with other dogs that hunt by sight.

In these circumstances cycle with the dog or join an organization that races whippets so that you can let the dog live its life fully on the race track.

In general Whippets done need plently of exercise. they will happily have a big walk or a half hour zoom session but prefer to be sprawled over something soft and warm and if they miss a walk or run they really don't care

I have seen quite a few books say Whippets can be hard to train and need heaps of exercise, but many people that own them do not agree so I am not quite sure where that info comes from???

I have seen quite a few books say Whippets can be hard to train and need heaps of exercise, but many people that own them do not agree so I am not quite sure where that info comes from???

I always thought they were as you described Oso - so much so they are my planned retirement dog! :D

I wouldn't take it to heart though, OSS. Everyone says Labs need hours of exercise a day, pffft! My two are the epitome of lazy!

RFT, not sure exactly what it was that bit me. There are ants crawling all over the concrete and the grass was thick and spongy, so I guess it was just an ant. It can't have been a bee because when I went back to have a look, Ruby with me, Ruby then got bitten too :o Hopefully not a spider, because besides a white mark where I was bitten and a bit of redness, it isn't spreading. So I am putting it down to an ant. Finally got some relief by putting some tea tree oil on it - magic stuff!!! thumbsup1.gif

I haven't take it too seriously but I am quite often suprised that it is what I would consider a bit opposite of what they actually are.

And I guess when I think back is possibly the reason I grilled Rommi's poor breeder before getting here as I was worried I would have zooming Whippets who were acting more like BC's and that they would be running away in all directions.

Thankfully that is not so and they are perfect.............................well almost, except for the counter surfing tendancies!

Guest RosieFT

I like whippets, and am pleased to read what your two are like as the ones i have met do not seem overly friendly. They come across as very timid dogs, but I have only interacted with around 3 in my life so probably have not seen the likes of yours!

RS - you can sometimes see the puncture marks and spiders will leave two dots as they have two fangs. Ant bites raise up like a wheel with a white hard centre and red around that. Ants can sting and bite.. usually grasp with the nippers and sting with the back end.

Irish terrier

why not...

character

IT is a dog of character which is loyal, protective, vigilant, playful, has a sense of humour, is intelligent, tends to be over-courageous, sensitive, active, and bonds very strongly with its family. In the country of origin it is tellingly dubbed 'dare devil'.

Training

IT requires a confident handler who can train it in a very consistent and tactful way. when in a good mood it can learn anything, but try to ensure that there is plenty of variety in the training routine.

social

this character of a dog tends to be rather eager to fight when in the presence of other dogs. teach it when young not to chase cats. It is naturally friendly with people and adores children and is very tolerant of them. The bitches are generally calmer than the dogs.

The IT becomes very dependent upon its family and regards it as a punishment to be left alone for a long time. It will defend its territory and that of its family against wrongdoers but is not really mistrustful of strangers.

excercise

the IT requires a lot of exercise so take it out regularly. They enjoy playing with a ball in teh garden or romping in open countryside. People say they love riding in cars and want to be taken everywehre with you.

ok better stop or i will get done for copywrite! but have acknowledged the book.. it was first printed in 1996 and this edition in 2009.

Guest RosieFT

Forgot to add that the kids say 'it was the best day ever!' ... apparantly only just pipped by christmas day itself!

adventure world wiped us out though, sooooooo tired. we were then from 10am till closing at 6.30pm. busy busy busy.

Told them we will go there instead of royal show - better value for money i think!

I do remember when RS's sister met Lewis in Perth he was very hohum about talking to anyone but I did forgive him a little as he had left his in season girl at home, stayed in a strange place and done a 20km endurance trial the day before.

If anyone is going to blow people off it is Lewis- Rommi never blows people off- but he never looks timid just stands there with a bored resigned look on his face. Having said that his tail naturally tucks under as Whippet tails do so I guess the average person may think he was being timid even though he isn't. hmmmmmmmmmm something to ponder :)

I haven't take it too seriously but I am quite often suprised that it is what I would consider a bit opposite of what they actually are.

And I guess when I think back is possibly the reason I grilled Rommi's poor breeder before getting here as I was worried I would have zooming Whippets who were acting more like BC's and that they would be running away in all directions.

Thankfully that is not so and they are perfect.............................well almost, except for the counter surfing tendancies!

Funny, I've never really had any experience with Whippets but when my sister asked me for advice on what breed would suit her family with a young son and small backyard, Whippet came to mind. She then went and read up on them and agreed! And as you know, is hoping to add a Whippie baby to her family in the near future :)

RS - you can sometimes see the puncture marks and spiders will leave two dots as they have two fangs. Ant bites raise up like a wheel with a white hard centre and red around that. Ants can sting and bite.. usually grasp with the nippers and sting with the back end.

Ant it is, then. The white bit raised up in like a line and red surrounded it (bumpy red bits kinda). The white bump is gone now, along with the pain, and is left with a red mark, surrounded by white, surrounded by red rofl1.gif Gosh poor Moo, if it hurt this much on a leg, I certainly don't want to know what it's like to be bitten on the privates! eek1.gif

I do remember when RS's sister met Lewis in Perth he was very hohum about talking to anyone but I did forgive him a little as he had left his in season girl at home, stayed in a strange place and done a 20km endurance trial the day before.

If anyone is going to blow people off it is Lewis- Rommi never blows people off- but he never looks timid just stands there with a bored resigned look on his face. Having said that his tail naturally tucks under as Whippet tails do so I guess the average person may think he was being timid even though he isn't. hmmmmmmmmmm something to ponder :)

The litter of whippet pups we met before my sister met Lewis were all nervous wrecks and kept running and hiding from us. Not really knowing what to expect, as I knew they'd be completely different to a litter of Lab babies, I still had a feeling that it wasn't very typical of a Whippet.

Funny, I've never really had any experience with Whippets but when my sister asked me for advice on what breed would suit her family with a young son and small backyard, Whippet came to mind. She then went and read up on them and agreed! And as you know, is hoping to add a Whippie baby to her family in the near future :)

:D Yep and I am hoping so as well.............waiting waiting waiting and getting rather impatient I might add!

My husband was never really a dog person and even he can be found bailing up people in carparks spruiking the wonders of the WHippet.

I have to say they completely exceeded my expectations and as for being good around kids, they are. They are not to big or pushy so kids being knocked over is rare. Mine chase and bring back a ball so the kids love doing that with them and at the end of the day you will find them alseep together on the lounge or under a doona on the loungeroom floor.

Okay I will stop gushing and I think the lightening may have stopped, for now, so will race the dogs out for a toilet stop then off to bed :)

Guest RosieFT

Please gush away :-) .. i have always liked whippets so always happy to hear the ones I have met i have either mis read (their tails do go between their legs, not when they were with owner walking, but as soon as they came near to us?!?!?) or have not had sound temps.

RS - sounds painful.... i would not like it on sensitive bits!! I told you how rosie got an inch ant up her nostril and didn't even whimper?!?! i had to pull that sucker out and it was hanging on!

Edited by RosieFT

I wouldn't take it to heart though, OSS. Everyone says Labs need hours of exercise a day, pffft! My two are the epitome of lazy!

RFT, not sure exactly what it was that bit me. There are ants crawling all over the concrete and the grass was thick and spongy, so I guess it was just an ant. It can't have been a bee because when I went back to have a look, Ruby with me, Ruby then got bitten too :o Hopefully not a spider, because besides a white mark where I was bitten and a bit of redness, it isn't spreading. So I am putting it down to an ant. Finally got some relief by putting some tea tree oil on it - magic stuff!!! thumbsup1.gif

Mason is pretty lazy but Gibbs isn't lol