Pretty Simple Questions

Crisovar

Simple questions  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Do you bath your dog before it is admitted for elective surgery (spey etc)

• Yes
    • No
    • Only if it is stinky or really dirty
  2. 2. Do you treat your pet for fleas, ticks etc if it is infested before you take it to the Groomers

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, I'd be ashamed not to
    • No, it is the Groomers job

I bath mine before surgery as I usually only wash the 3 or 4 times a year or if they roll in something bad.

I don't normally have fleas (have a dog who is allergic to them) so they are traeted twice monthly with a spot on treatment. I would be ashamed to take a flea ridden dog to a gromer.

If possible I wash all pugs before they have surgery as it will be two weeks, when the stiches are removed, before they can be bathed again.

^^^

And I am a groomer... there is no N/A for the second option, so I did not vote.

:thumbsup: to those who send their dog to the vet looking and smelling nice!

We had a dog in for surgery last week, a very simple procedure that had been booked a week ahead. God knows why but when the dog came in for surgery it was filthy and had dried faeces all through it's coat, the smell was horrendous!!

My dogs have never had fleas so I dont have to worry about that but neither do I send them to the groomers.

As for going to the vets clean, always.

I have house dogs and if they want to sleep on the bed they have to be clean, also I am a little obsessive about them smelling and looking nice all the time :thumbsup:

:confused: to those who send their dog to the vet looking and smelling nice!

We had a dog in for surgery last week, a very simple procedure that had been booked a week ahead. God knows why but when the dog came in for surgery it was filthy and had dried faeces all through it's coat, the smell was horrendous!!

The number of filthy dogs we are seeing for elective surgery has been staggering, I don't understand what people are thinking, let's not even talk about the fleas and the ticks.

My dogs dont tend to get dirty, but i would bath them if they were dirty at the time. And i would never send a flea infested dog anywhere, but dont have a flea problem and cannot remember any of my dogs ever having fleas.

Crisovar - why not tell the clients that their dogs must be freshly bathed or you will be charging for grooming fees should the dogs come in for surgery in a grubby state? :laugh:

I think it's a totally reasonable request!

My vets always ask me to bath my dogs before they come in because they are terrified of stuffing up the show coats! :laugh:

ETA: my dogs are controlled for pests regularly so a groomer would never see my dogs with fleas but I do make sure they are given a good dose before they go so they don't pick up any fleas at the groomers!!

I wouldn't bath a dog before surgery, it is going to get covered in blood anyway and need a bath afterwards (once stitches are out) but then the dogs aren't left to get in such a state that they stink or be covered in nasties anyway.

I'm a groomer but answered would be embarrassed to send a dog for grooming with fleas as I would be!

Do you bath your dog before it is admitted for elective surgery (spey etc)

Only if it is stinky or really dirty

My dogs generally don't need bathing because they go to the beach so often, but if they were really smelly or dirty, I would definitely wash them before surgery.

Do you treat your pet for fleas, ticks etc if it is infested before you take it to the Groomers

No

Two reasons, I don't take my dogs to the groomers [i do all the grooming myself] and I've never had a flea or tick problem with my two.

generallly my Whippets don't get smelly, Our Stafford can as he has allergic skin, but unless and emergency he has a bath before going.

I would NEVER knowingly take a dog anywhere with fleas or stinky and filthy! We don't have a problem with fleas and I would see them easily.

Edited by Rommi n Lewis

Yes I will always wash my dogs before going to the vet for surgery - even if it is a dental.

As for the groomers - being a groomer I wish some people used common sense and treated their flea ridden dogs BEFORE taking them to be groomed or vets for that matter.

How hard is it to treat the dog for fleas?

What happened to common sense and courtesy?

*any idea how crappy it is grooming dogs with fleas crawling all over you*

**when I have dogs that are flea ridden I rebook the rest of the day to clean up the shed - when owners pick up dogs that were flea ridden I tell them why it is so important to treat the dog first...some times it is very hard to be nice to some people.....but I do enjoy reminding them about treating the whole house / yard as the dog will get fleas as soon as it goes back home - AND treat the family human and animals for worms too as fleas and worms generally go together.

Then I remind them had they simply treated the dog for fleas / worms it would prevent all the other issues.. :)

I have to admit that I didn't give Charlie a bath before his biopsy, but that wasn't planned. This is the first time that he is not smelling the best. I can't give him a bath till after his stitches come out.

He gets frontline every fortnight and heartworm tablets every month.

;) to those who send their dog to the vet looking and smelling nice!

The number of filthy dogs we are seeing for elective surgery has been staggering, I don't understand what people are thinking, let's not even talk about the fleas and the ticks.

Thats gross.

I had the opposite experience though. I took Osca in to get some teeth out and he was clean and groomed. They handed him back to me stinky and wet. They said he had bled a bit and tried to hose him off but didnt even try and dry him. He stunk. I wasn't very happy.