Maltese/shitzu

DogCat

A cross breed dog has purebreed parents of DIFFERENT BREEDS ie. PB Maltese + PB Shih Tzu = Maltese x Shih Tzu

A mongrel has mixed breed parents ie. Maltese/Shih Tzu + Maltese/JRT (or any other breed, wheter distinguishable or not) = Mongrel

Hope that makes sense.

Sorry but I really had a good laugh at this explaination. So do you sight pedigree papers for the parents before you class a dog as a cross breed as apposed to a mongrel? Sorry but a cross breed is a cross breed is a cross breed. Whether you call it a mongrel a mutt or a cross breed, they are still dogs with more than one breed in their mix.

I'm with you on that one

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you both as well. Mongrel just seems to be a less desirable term for some people. A crossbreed is a mongrel.

Who cares though - the little dude has found a loving home. :laugh:

Edited by raz

I have heaps on my clients list, and for the most part they are nice little dogs. Of course, in my biased opinion that is the Shih Tzu coming through, if they ever snap then I blame that on the Maltese parentage :laugh:

;)

One of the girls who works with me tells me to 'get a room' whenever a pure Shih Tzu comes in as I am all over them like a rash, whispering sweet nothings to them ;) Same with a pedigree Poodle I do, and the owner has just gotten two more puppies from the same fantastic breeder :)

Reminds me a of a notice I saw at the local shops about a year ago - someone selling Maltese/SHIATSU puppies :laugh:

(not only are they cute & fluffy - they do massage, as well)

Gerturde would flip me the bird if I ask her for a massage ;)

We get a lot of Maltese Shits in and people don't even realise what they've got. If the dog is snappy, they explain to me that that is the Terrier coming out in them :) Those pesky Terriers...

I agree with the others that the malt - shih x can be a great little dog. I lost my beautiful boy Rory several months ago at 10. He was an impulse pet shop puppy buy and cost me a small fortune over the years in vet bills, but had a fantastic temperament and was gorgeous to boot. He was a smart little dog and did very well at obedience, progressing through to trialling.

post-3568-1259535426_thumb.jpg

My brother has 2 Shihzstu x Silkies, (not on my advice!) anyway they are divine, and it does seem the Shihtzu temperament coming through. Their big round eyes just hypnotise you and they absolutely worship people.

When you pick them up onto your lap they are like rag dolls :laugh: talk about relaxed.

The big drawback are the coats, an absolute nightmare.

About 15 or so years ago my neighbours had the most gorgeous shihtzu/maltese cross baby - he was bl oh so sweet. Thick as a plank, but loving and affectionate and simply beautiful :laugh:

I don't agree with deliberate cross breeding, but those cross breed dogs can't help the stupidity of people.

Mollie

xoxox

A cross breed is a dog that is bred by crossing 2 pure breeds together.

A mongrel is a dog who's parents are both either cross breeds themselves and/or of many different breeds.

A Maltese x Shih Tzu is a cross breed dog, not a mongrel....provided that either parent was a pure breed of each.

I didn't know that. Interesting.

Mongrel through and through, and are horrible usually when mixed together

Well that's a crock of sh*te any day of the week :laugh::mad .

I guess I was very lucky with my first two (and only) pure Maltese: they were both delightful dogs and not at all yappy and I could take them anywhere without worrying that they might snap or yap. Even apart from my own, my experience with Maltese has not been that they are "yappy and snappy".

Interesting read.

Charlie's furmum is a purebred CKCS. Charlie's furdad is a purebred Shih Tzu. So, that makes him a mutt. A very very very cute mutt though :laugh:

My old house guest was a Maltese x Shih Tzu.. he wasn't all that yappy either. Only when he got excited he would bark. His bark was loud, but I think that's cause he was deaf and can't hear himself. He was a handful, but i blame that on his owners.. they didn't train him.

I have two mutts! and i wouldnt trade them in for the world. Chloe is the most beautiful loyal dog that i have ever met. Jakey Freckles (our pup) is a skally wag...who drive's me nuts, but again i love him to bits.

To be honest it has never occured to me to buy a pure bread dog. I have always believed that rescue was the way to go. :laugh:

It was always my understanding that any animal of two identifiable purebred parents was a "crossbred".

I think Maltese//Shih Tzu has become the label a lot of people use for any small long haired dog these days. Unless you know the breeder/parents of the dog it could be anything. Ask BMP and the other Havanese people. :laugh:

I breed purebreed Labs but also run a boarding kennel, so observe crossbreeds. I find some crosses are more successful than others (in terms of how well the pups and dogs work in to living with a family).

I look after several ShihTzu X Maltese in boarding kennels. I don't care what label is put on them. In general, they seem to be a good cross (maybe not as good as Labrador X Kelpie, which doesn't even merit a DD nickname). I also find I get a lot of successful 'spoodles'. SBT crosses tend to be more problematic as adults, as do sibe, GSD, Rotti X dogs. Note, the dog rescues I know are flooded with little fluffie crosses, so I may be observing only the successful dogs . . . and cute little fluffies may, in general, be problems waiting to happen.

Unless you know the breeder/parents of the dog it could be anything. Ask BMP and the other Havanese people. rofl1.gif

HEY!!! :laugh:

I love my Havs but I also have my "fake" :mad She is a six yr old Lhasa X Poodle and to the untrained eye, she definitely looks like a Havanese :laugh: