Grover Is Really Sick - Another Change

Trisven13

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cleaning the floors - we use an ordinary mop and water with eucalyptus oil in it. I'm not a big fan of chemical cleaners so we don't use them wherever possible.

I haven't finished reading all the thread yet, but I thought that eucalytpus & tea tree oil were "no go" with dogs??? (sorry, I see now others have suggested it)

Oh, and how about a couple of clean bricks on top of the crate to stop him walking around?

Also, might be a dumb question, but what presents were under the tree on Christmas eve? He became sick on Christmas day??? Just thinking that it might be something that triggered it and could still be in the house?

Also, is there any new furniture, like from Ikea - some have been known to give of toxic vapours... just random thoughts...

Edited by ~pip~

Trish,

An allergy can suddenly start for no reason even with something you have had in the house for years.

My advice...... put Grover somewhere else for two weeks to give his system a proper chance to recover otherwise even the smallest contact with whatever is causing the issue will keep starting him off.

Board him at a vets or a trusted friend and let his system recover. THEN bring him home and confine him to one room for two days to see if that room has the allergy. Work on a process of elimination.

I speak as a person with a life threatening allergy........they are not fun.

Thanks dogslife. We will definitely be doing that if he continues to look unwell today.

This morning, after sleeping in our bedroom he was fine :cheer: .

The bit of wood has been chucked out. Steve has placed him back in the crate this morning whilst I was sleeping in because he was way too interested in Daphne (hard not using crates in such a small house when you have entire dogs and one in season, though I probably would have chucked him in the bathroom). I think Steve felt confident because he was doing okay - will see how he is going shortly, I've just got out of bed.

The other thing to think about is ventilation - then if it is something in the air/vapours he has less chance of reacting if your house is well ventilated and has good air quality. Most furniture and carpets give off small amounts of phemaldahide (sp) but if your house is well ventilated you are okay. I had a Building Biologist measure the air quality of my house (I moved and started to get migraines) and, while my air quality was excellent, he did say that most people closed windows in winter/on very hot days and their air quality was absolute cr*p.

Some pointers:

* Keep at least two windows a bit open on opposite sides of the house (to get cross ventilation)

* Is there any mould at all? Often you can't see it but if there is moisture in the air or you don't dry the bathroom after every use you can get it pretty easily. Mould can cause terrible reactions. Clean witha few drops of "Oil of Clove" mixed with equal parts vinegar and water. The typical place to find it is in the laundry, especially if you have a drier that isn't flued to the outside. Buy some of those hippo moisture absorber things and make sure the laundry is well ventilated. I wouldn't leave him in the bathroom either.

* Make sure to use the exhaust fan when cooking.

* Make sure no one is sleeping under the man hole.

Maybe it would be better crating Daphne rather than Grover. JMO Let's hope he stays on the mend this time. These beautiful hounds certainly put us through the ringer when something goes wrong.

She is crated and at the opposite end of the house BUT apparently he was trying to get to her - I can't say as today was my sleep-in day :cheer: .

The other thing to think about is ventilation - then if it is something in the air/vapours he has less chance of reacting if your house is well ventilated and has good air quality. Most furniture and carpets give off small amounts of phemaldahide (sp) but if your house is well ventilated you are okay. I had a Building Biologist measure the air quality of my house (I moved and started to get migraines) and, while my air quality was excellent, he did say that most people closed windows in winter/on very hot days and their air quality was absolute cr*p.

Some pointers:

* Keep at least two windows a bit open on opposite sides of the house (to get cross ventilation)

Yep - have to anyway as we have ducted AC

* Is there any mould at all? Often you can't see it but if there is moisture in the air or you don't dry the bathroom after every use you can get it pretty easily. Mould can cause terrible reactions. Clean witha few drops of "Oil of Clove" mixed with equal parts vinegar and water. The typical place to find it is in the laundry, especially if you have a drier that isn't flued to the outside. Buy some of those hippo moisture absorber things and make sure the laundry is well ventilated. I wouldn't leave him in the bathroom either.

Don't think so - its a dry house in a dry town

* Make sure to use the exhaust fan when cooking.

Yep do that.

* Make sure no one is sleeping under the man hole.

Manhole is outside the toilet and nowhere near the dogs crates.

good news that he's on the improve this morning :cheer:

laserlite is just that hard plastic roofing material you put over gazebo's and things like that. Bunnings should have that or something very similar.

ETA - just thought - Daphne is in season and has been since Christmas Day when he first got sick? Could he possibly be allergic to Daphne?????

:cheer::eek::cheers: I had no idea Daphne was a dog, I thought you were talking about the plant, although I thought it was odd that it was flowering so late in Albury. Must have sounded bizarre when I asked if he had eaten any daphne.

Great news that he seems to be improved again this morning!

ETA - just thought - Daphne is in season and has been since Christmas Day when he first got sick? Could he possibly be allergic to Daphne?????

:cheer::eek::cheers: I had no idea Daphne was a dog, I thought you were talking about the plant, although I thought it was odd that it was flowering so late in Albury. Must have sounded bizarre when I asked if he had eaten any daphne.

:cheers::rofl: :D

Our backyard isn't pretty but absolutely NOTHING has changed in it for over 6 months other than some sugar-cane mulch in one garden bed.

You had the sick puppies in the last 6 months

You also got the new quarantine pen

Our backyard isn't pretty but absolutely NOTHING has changed in it for over 6 months other than some sugar-cane mulch in one garden bed.

You had the sick puppies in the last 6 months

You also got the new quarantine pen

Yes but he doesn't have parvo. The quarantine pen is in the front yard.

Sorry I missed your call Trish, didn't come home from the next door new year thingy and didn't think you'd want a call at 2am !!

Danny was saying to his knowledge they use wood glue and some kind of sealant or laquer depending on the type of ply.

Hope the poor boy stays well for you now, this would drive you to drink !!!!!

fifi xxxx

Im not saying he has parvo im saying there has been some changes.

You would have to have used some heavy stuff to clean up up the parvo.

Oh okay - sorry I misunderstood what you were saying.

In the house we used Trigene. Outside we used lime BUT we also didn't allow any of the dogs access to the backyard for 2 months after the parvo, they all used the front yard. Whilst I know the lime would still have been there they didn't have access to it until it had "set" into the soil more. We have used lime previously (about 18 months ago) when we had a flea infestation but I'm not sure if Grover was here then - probably not. :cheer: I suppose it could be the lime - you're right I hadn't considered that.