Grover Is Really Sick - Another Change

Trisven13

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep - when I spoke with poor Jana earlier she said to immediately take him out of the crate as that seems to be causing it. I don't think it could be the floor as he was previously sleeping on the bottom piece of plywood. If it is the C-Crate itself he'll have to learn to sleep without his crate (he has always loved his crate).

So - if he gets better again outside of the crate then do we try the C-Crate without the plywood first or do we just give up on it all together?

Good question, if it were me I would wait a least to see a week of improvement before trying the crate again (with no plywood). In the meantime you may be able to test for Chromium Arsenic or any kind of wood treatment chemical poisoning in the blood stream.

At least his system has had a good flush with all of the IV fluids.

The C-Crate is plastic or metal?

Perhaps stay away from that part of the floor too, in case something has contaminated the floor as well.

Maybe you could beg/borrow/buy a temporary crate for him somewhere.

I can't see it being the crate Trish. The metal would be inert.

What bedding does he have in the crate? I think the wood does sound like the most likely culprit, as it is both above and beneath him in the crate.

He might also be going downhill a little because he's not being hydrated via the drip.

Yeah - I agree. I just don't see how it can be the metal crate. I think it must be the wood if it is something here. The bedding is knitted blankets that we've had for months and months (probably a year). They just get washed every week and re-cycled through the crates. His are the same ones he had BUT they've been washed and dried and put back in.

I understand what you mean about the drip - we will just take him straight back into the vet first thing in the morning. We will toss the plywood and stick something else on top of his crate temporarily to stop him walking around in it if he makes a miraculous recovery again.

Cleaning the floors - we use an ordinary mop and water with eucalyptus oil in it. I'm not a big fan of chemical cleaners so we don't use them wherever possible.

Maybe block him off from plants too? My two suddenly decided to each leaves off a plat that I'd had for a year (and they'd never touched it before).

ETA: I'm pretty sure eucalyptus oil is poisonous of ingested, as are most essential oils. A long shot I know....

Edited by megan_

Since he has been home he has only been outside with one of us, or with one of us watching him. I know he hasn't eaten anything - eta but thanks for the suggestion.

If I sound short with anyone its only my mind going around and around and not having time/thought to type full responses.

Edited by Trisven13

I can't see it being the crate Trish. The metal would be inert.

What bedding does he have in the crate? I think the wood does sound like the most likely culprit, as it is both above and beneath him in the crate.

He might also be going downhill a little because he's not being hydrated via the drip.

Yeah - I agree. I just don't see how it can be the metal crate. I think it must be the wood if it is something here. The bedding is knitted blankets that we've had for months and months (probably a year). They just get washed every week and re-cycled through the crates. His are the same ones he had BUT they've been washed and dried and put back in.

I understand what you mean about the drip - we will just take him straight back into the vet first thing in the morning. We will toss the plywood and stick something else on top of his crate temporarily to stop him walking around in it if he makes a miraculous recovery again.

Cleaning the floors - we use an ordinary mop and water with eucalyptus oil in it. I'm not a big fan of chemical cleaners so we don't use them wherever possible.

Ditch the eucalyptus Trish. It is toxic to dogs in high doses. Grover may have developed a sensitivity to it.

A few more....

Any changes to his shampoo?

Does he eat cat poo? And if so, have you changed cat food recently?

Does he eat his own poo? that could be exacerbating the problem

Dog water - do you use bore water? Could there be a chemical/treatment that's been added to the bore? From a neighbour?

Flame-retardant treatment on anything? (new sofa, rug)

Another long shot, but I read an article (from the US) that said cicadas are bad for dogs if they eat them... has he eaten any?

Got any toadstools or dodgy mushrooms in the garden he might have eaten?

Used ant killer powder recently?

Anything he could have chewed on that is made of bamboo?

You poor thing..very worrying..all up and down like a yoyo with him.

Don't really have any ideas to add except the wood idea like others have said. You seem to have covered just about everything else. I guess it's hardly unlikely to be the crate if he's had it for ages but I guess there wouldn't be any harm in keeping him out of it for a while to see if it makes any difference.

Really hope you get to the bottom of it very soon!

Do you wash the dogs' bedding in a eucalyptus based wool wash Trish?

Nup - we use Omo Sensitive.

Eucalyptus ditched. Will go back to plain water and the Enjo mop.

:thumbsup: Have to be honest I haven't mopped the floor for about 4-5 weeks and I'm the one who uses the eucalyptus. Steve mopped it last week and used the Enjo.

Do you wash the dogs' bedding in a eucalyptus based wool wash Trish?

Nup - we use Omo Sensitive.

Eucalyptus ditched. Will go back to plain water and the Enjo mop.

:thumbsup: Have to be honest I haven't mopped the floor for about 4-5 weeks and I'm the one who uses the eucalyptus. Steve mopped it last week and used the Enjo.

What has Grover eaten at home when he's come back since this began Trish?

2 chicken carcasses. I cooked up chicken & rice with yoghurt on Fifi's instructions but he wouldn't touch it. He had one chicken carcass when he first got home and then I told Steve to see if he would eat one of those when he wouldn't touch the chicken & rice - he ate it all but not as quickly or as happily as the first one. He is also back to walking all hunched and looking in pain.

It has to be something here..... :thumbsup: I hope it is as simple as getting rid of the bit of wood.

I would eliminate everything that it could possibly be - regardless of date purchased. Allergic or intolerant reactions can occur very suddenly out-of-the-blue. Both my Mum and Granny could eat shellfish until the age of about 25 - then they both almost died from eating a prawn. My Gran can't even eat something that has been prepared with a knife that has touched shellfish (ie it has gotten worse with age).

I'd ditch all the cleaning chemicals bar dishwashing liquid and make friends with vinegar and bicarb.

Agree with this. With regard to sudden onset reactions and cumulative aversion, I used to think people "with allergies" were putting it on :thumbsup::laugh:. Truly! I couldn't believe people were allergic to "things". Have I been paid back in spades for not being sympathic and understanding. Guess what I've been doing most of the day? Coughing and sneezing and blowing and I have no idea why.

Another one here to say ditch the eucalyptus oil.....

And another.

I do hope you can find some answers soon.

2 chicken carcasses. I cooked up chicken & rice with yoghurt on Fifi's instructions but he wouldn't touch it. He had one chicken carcass when he first got home and then I told Steve to see if he would eat one of those when he wouldn't touch the chicken & rice - he ate it all but not as quickly or as happily as the first one. He is also back to walking all hunched and looking in pain.

It has to be something here..... :thumbsup: I hope it is as simple as getting rid of the bit of wood.

How fresh are those carcasses? I'd be giving him nothing but piglet mix or cooked chicken and rice Trish. His stomach needs time to recover if his immune system is under assault.

No raw food for the moment. Nothing hard to digest.

Hunching may equal stomach pain. Darcy has had two severe bouts of HGE.. I have sooo been here. :laugh:

Edited by poodlefan

When my boy had gastro (which I know is different to your boy) the vet put him on a prescription Eukaneuba diet that was easy to digest. It worked wonders for his digestion and then I slowly moved him back to a more normal diet. Maybe he needs something like this in the interim (not as a cure but as a way of helping him with pain after eating?).

When my boy had gastro (which I know is different to your boy) the vet put him on a prescription Eukaneuba diet that was easy to digest. It worked wonders for his digestion and then I slowly moved him back to a more normal diet. Maybe he needs something like this in the interim (not as a cure but as a way of helping him with pain after eating?).

Hills I/D cans is what Darcy has had for recovery food. It's basically chicken and rice.